Winters cruise

w44nty

Hi Steve

Going North to South, I would be inclined to arrive at GY either about on or half an hour after slack water. That way you will get a good kick down the Bure on the ebb, yet you should hit Breydon at reasonably slack water. If I were going the other way (i.e. South to North) I would be inclined to leave it later, say around 1 – 2 hours after slack water as the ebb takes a while to abate on the Bure due to the narrow channel.

Slack water on the Thursday is 10.32 so you could say arrive around eleven,. Its 18 miles form Ranworth, if you could make say 4mph (shouldn’t be a problem with the ebb tide) you are looking at 4 and a half hours. That would mean setting off about 6.30 to 7. At this time of year it gets light enough to navigate not much after seven if its clear sky. I think you mention you have nav lights too. If you make good progress you could always stop off at Stokesby or Stracey Arms. The latter is about 7 miles from GY.

Slack water is 11.33 on the Friday so you could set off an hour later.

If you leave it just after slack water the tide should start to push over Breydon but even if you do 3 mph you would still get to Reedham in about 3 hours, so you should easily do this in daylight. You can navigate till about 4, more with nav lights.

That leaves about 16 miles to Thorpe which is easily do-able in a day. However looking at the tide tables you may well be punching the tide going up the Yare, one way to avoid this would be to leave it a bit later. Have pint or 2 in the Lord Nelson!!!

Just my view, other may disagree, but hope it gives some help anyway!!!

Let us know how you get on!!!!

cheersbar

Absolutely agree with Ian here, if you tie up at YH (the only time I would ever stop there) and wait for the tide to make unless it already is you will use less fuel and make better time.Slack is only predicted, not written in stone so best to suck it and see when you reach YH harbour.

There are no mooring signs up at the Yacht Station at the moment and the site is closed. However we moored up there as there is no one to tell you can’t! If you don’t mind taking a break, this is a good option as it’s never an exact science.

cheersbar

Absolutely agree with Ian here, if you tie up at YH (the only time I would ever stop there) and wait for the tide to make unless it already is you will use less fuel and make better time.Slack is only predicted, not written in stone so best to suck it and see when you reach YH harbour.

Good stuff

We have planned to moored at Twobagsbrooks mooring near yacht station and pop over cafe for breakfast,alsoit will give engine a rest ready for the homeward trip

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

That`s EXACTLY what i was trying to say above. If you leave Yarmouth about one and a half, to two hours AFTER low slack water, you will have the tide behind you pushing you all the way to Norwich. Don`t forget Steve, leave the YELLOW post to your starboard side while rounding into Breydon. Have an enjoyable trip. Regards ................ Neil.

Next Thursday is the big day,we will get everything ready for an early start,we are loooking to leave Ranworth about 6:30am and stop for breakfast at Great Yarmouth,then cross Breydon for the journey to Thorpe.

If you are out and about next Thursday you might see Rosie on our epic journey.

Next Thursday is the big day,we will get everything ready for an early start,we are loooking to leave Ranworth about 6:30am and stop for breakfast at Great Yarmouth,then cross Breydon for the journey to Thorpe.

If you are out and about next Thursday you might see Rosie on our epic journey.

It's the 13th, Mate... but the Very Best of Luck! :naughty::naughty::naughty: