3 Rivers Race 2021

TheQ

Well,  I'm here to predict the 60th 3 Rivers Race WILL occur on 5th and 6th June 2021, I got the prediction wrong last year... 

The first start is 1 hour 15 minutes after high tide so it should be for getting the boats away. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JennyMorgan said:

Does that include the new mast, the one that is rumoured to even top the Tacolneston Broadcasting aerial?

Them ol' trees round that Wroxham duck pond hent half grown up over the winter  you know :default_norty:  :default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Does that include the new mast, the one that is rumoured to even top the Tacolneston Broadcasting aerial?

I don't have a share of Raisena anymore, she was sold to one of your neighbours on Oulton Broad.. 

I have had Ladybird for a few years now, has been subject to a fair bit of work including a new mast which was snapped on the year we were going to wim 3RR. !

• Like 2

Raisena was fun to sail before the new rig was put on her, after that we all lost interest a bit..

When I bought Ladybird she needed new sails which she got,  she is a lovely thing to go about on and is a pleasure to sail and not uncontrollable,  so when the mast broke i was very careful not to damage the sails as i knew the rig was right for the boat. 

i think the crossbow rig was a bit of  a nightmare.. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, C.Ricko said:

Raisena was fun to sail before the new rig was put on her, after that we all lost interest a bit..

An apparent  lack of an experienced, fit team, plus an unachievable handicap for a boat that is so rarely raced, does appear to be a problem. Bit of a pity really. 

Looking forward to seeing the reborn Lady Bird.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

ps,

1 million have had a vaccine injection in the UK, in one month, there are another 6  months till the race. The easier to issue Oxford vaccine starts being injected on Monday, which is when they'll start issuing to local GPs and the rate of vaccination will increase rapidly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Lets hope its still on, I shall enjoy watching it,if it is. One of my lasting memories is back in the early 70's as a competitor in this iconic event, sailing my Fireball across Hickling Broad in the pitch dark  at about 2am, on a broad reach, with my crew out on the wire. We were focussing on the flashing orange beacon, where we had to post our card as proof of being there in a plastic dustbin on a float in the middle of the Broad, down near the Pleasure Boat cut. 

A much more docile life now, with our broads cruiser tucked up safely in a Horning marina, with Ricko looking after her.

"Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end".  Picture of my Fireball attached.

Fireball.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

So its definitely going ahead then? 

At the moment the committee are working on the premise it will  go ahead. 

The final decision will probably be in early May depending on what the lockdown situation is..

Note, that on current predictions all the top 10 groups should have had their first jab by then and the top 4 groups maybe 5 will have had both injections.

40 minutes ago, PaulN said:

Lets hope its still on, I shall enjoy watching it,if it is. One of my lasting memories is back in the early 70's as a competitor in this iconic event, sailing my Fireball across Hickling Broad in the pitch dark  at about 2am, on a broad reach, with my crew out on the wire. We were focussing on the flashing orange beacon, where we had to post our card as proof of being there in a plastic dustbin on a float in the middle of the Broad, down near the Pleasure Boat cut. 

A much more docile life now, with our broads cruiser tucked up safely in a Horning marina, with Ricko looking after her.

"Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end".  Picture of my Fireball attached.

Fireball.jpg

The cards are now little pieces of Plastic, "the bin" is now a laundry basket with a tall yellow sausage buoy punched through the middle of the basket..

The orange flashing light is now sat on the roof of the guardship, and if the same lights are used on the buoy next time, they  are white flashing bicycle LED lights.

I hope to have the pleasure of putting the buoy out on Hickling, as I have done for some years.

Then  counting them past, ticking off the boats on a check list, writing in the times, and radioing in times, back to the club..

Yep opposite the Pleasure boat / Hickling sailing club in the deep water channel, is my choice to place the buoy, so we can moor on the club pier..  then we can send someone off to get a hot supper when required!!!

Guard boats? Radios? whtever next. We were made of sterner stuff.

Seriosly though, well done TQ for keeping it all going. Hope that we on Bon Bon will be there this year to cheer everyone on and reminisce.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PaulN said:

Guard boats? Radios? whtever next. We were made of sterner stuff.

Seriosly though, well done TQ for keeping it all going. Hope that we on Bon Bon will be there this year to cheer everyone on and reminisce.

You could always offer your assistance as a trainee guard ship.  Suspect some of the usual guard ship crews might have to drop out this year if it manages to go ahead?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Note, that on current predictions all the top 10 groups should have had their first jab by then and the top 4 groups maybe 5 will have had both injections.

Resistance is not immediate and by my reckoning it could be well into July before the more general restrictions will start to be lifted. Fingers crossed that it goes ahead.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Thats me on the front of Ladybird getting ready to give Chris Tuckett a kick out of the way in his Slipstream, I think the year that he did mainsheet for me. 

we were both under the bridge at the same time, not sure how we fitted!

• Like 1