Any Ideas Where?

The bridge of the main road from Adge to Marseillan, just before the écluse de Prades, where the Canal du Midi enters the Herault river.

If not, it looks very much like it! Not sure about the houses behind but they have cut down a lot of plane trees on the canal recently, and that changes the aspect a bit!

if you think walking over that aqueduct with the hand rail to hold onto is a spare trouser experience try taking a boat over it when you can look straight over the other side which doesn't have the hand rail. 

I would never stand underneath it and look up!

9 minutes ago, Paul said:

if you think walking over that aqueduct with the hand rail to hold onto is a spare trouser experience try taking a boat over it when you can look straight over the other side which doesn't have the hand rail. 

Yeah. Been there, done that.

It's an oddity really because if you slip, trip over a rope etc there is absolutely nothing to stop you going down the 150ft drop and obviously because the trough is so narrow, the boat is right against the edge the whole way across.

image.png

• Like 1

trust me, I wasn't going to trip, slip or anything else. Head to toe I was locked rigid, I don't think I even flinched muscle the whole way across. When we got to the other side I virtually had to prize my fingers off the tiller.

Of course, having got to the other side we had to turn around and come back, 

• Like 1

First time I crossed the aqueduct in 1984 we were on the embankment about half a boats length from going on and there are trees blocking out most of the sky.

Having read about the crossing I was understandably nervous, so when there was a noise which got louder and louder, the first thing I though of was a landslip (there had been one a little further up the canal a couple of years before - and there was to be another a few years later).

As the bow of the boat entered the trough it all became clear - it was an RAF Hercules flying up the valley at about 500 feet above us. That was almost a changing underpants moment.

It was a long long time ago that I went over it  - but it was in the fog! Or rather the valley had fog in it so all you could see was just the top of the trees - nor anyone coming the other way! Bizarre feeling but hardly one you could just nip down in the cabin to grab a camera for! ( BMP ) ( Before mobile phones)

2 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

The trough castings are held together with linen and sugar, the top rail of the trough has square holes in the top, I wonder if at some time in the past there were railings and top metal rail.

Regards

Alan

there has never been a railing on the other side, according to Tim West's old program Waterworld.

A mate of mine (yes, there is at least one out there) and his wife went across during their honeymoon. He had been over a few times but his new wife was petrified and sat inside. He jumped off the boat onto the path and walked forward to tap on the window and say "Hello!" It was a few days before she saw the funny side but they're still married.

• Haha 1

We only walked over. But when someone came from the other direction you needed to either hug the handrail and pretend you didn’t see them or walk on the edge of the trough. What amazes me is the spindles on the handrail are nearly a foot apart any smaller person could just slip through. I saw a program on the goggle box a while ago where an elderly lady was being interviewed and she recalled of how when children had to cross the aqueduct going to school in the mornings if a horse came the other way they would simply swing through the gaps and hang till the horse passed rather than be late for school. Hells teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

7 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Do you have to have a very steady hand on the tiller

No, its narrow enough for the boat to look after itself. You can get off and take your photos, or if really scared go in the cabin!

The water is actually the full width of the aqueduct with the towpath suspended over it, so you are not pushing against a narrow gap even if you are going upstream (there is a flow on the Llangollen as it supplies drinking water from the Dee at Horseshoe Falls down the canal to a reservoir near the bottom).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3