Should've Been Here Today

RS2021

Today we should have been picking up Fair Executive 2 from NBD, gently cruising out of the yard, down the Bure and into Salhouse Broad for the evening. Instead, we'll be sat in the garden. At least we can still open the bottle of wine.

IMG_5530.JPG

IMG_5533.JPG

• Like 6

I know how you feel a great loss of enjoyment, me being a private boat owner has cost me in the last four weeks since lock-down £460 not to use my boat, and if this is to go on another couple of months it will really
Upset me somewhat

• Like 1

Well Salhouse was certainly quiet last night, but where to go today? Horning Staithe is quiet so we can stop there for an hour or so. So many choices of where to go tonight. I think we'll head for Thurne Dyke and a pint at the Lion.

IMG_5539.JPG

IMG_5581.JPG

• Like 7

I’ve only been to the Lion once but could certainly see the attraction. And the run to Thurne Dyke from Salhouse is something that we enjoyed a couple of times last October. But I think that on a blue sky day like today I would be turning up the Ant, destination Sutton Staithe or Paddy’s Lane, two of my favourites. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, eddybear said:

I know how you feel a great loss of enjoyment, me being a private boat owner has cost me in the last four weeks since lock-down £460 not to use my boat, and if this is to go on another couple of months it will really
Upset me somewhat

Hi Griff, I guess cost of enjoyment which I should've had But still paying for that's what (being polite) annoys me a little bit :-)

• Like 2

Understood. 

We're in the same boat.(Pun firmly intended)   However I try and look it as the money spent to keep 'B.A' as she normally is sitting there would have been spent anyway.  I try to look at it as money I haven't spent, that is road fuel getting there n back, Marine diesel, pump outs, beer chits, food, pub grub and the like so I'm on a saving.  One I wish I wasn't making

Griff

• Like 5

A good friend of mine lives and boats in Sydney, Australia. He tells me that their lock-down is very similar to ours but those who sail small boats, crew and skipper ONLY, are being allowed to go sailing on Sydney Harbour. That seems reasonable to me and I wonder how long before similar is tolerated on the Broads.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

About two days before the busiest day the broads has ever seen, with every private boat out I reckon.

The queue for Ludham Bridge... :default_blink:gettyimages-90020444-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.13e123de01bca42e30dd171462714874.jpg

On 25/04/2020 at 16:25, eddybear said:

Upset me somewhat

Hi Ted, I’ve decided not to count the cost of not using my boat in these abnormal times, same as I don’t normally, mainly so Mrs B doesn’t get any ideas😀

Hey ho back to gardening, painting, car washing, window cleaning... well you get the picture.

Stay well, stay safe and stay at home😷

• Like 1

Where to today then. Womack Staithe and Ludham are always nice, perhaps a light lunch in the tea room. Then its How Hill for the afternoon. The nature trail and secret garden are great and a chance to look round the old pleasure wherry Hathor, a boat which certainly cuts the mustard compared to todays craft.

IMG_5566.JPG

IMG_5572.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I think my day would have been the reverse of yours. Having gone up to the top end of the Ant yesterday we would have cruise back down today. A coffee stop perhaps at Ludham Bridge or St Benet’s and then into Womack Water or perhaps a mooring along the Dyke if the water levels are low enough for me to get off the boat! Lol! Then a walk into Ludham for scampi and chips in the King’s Arms. The rest of the day would be spent on board watching the other boats and the wildlife. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Looks like Boulters Lock, on the Thames at Maidenhead?

Painting in Lever Gallery, Liverpool

One of many Edwardian photos of Boulters

And The Boathouse, Boulters Lock

I would like a pound for every pint I've supped on that upstairs balcony! And in Skindles for that matter.

Boulters_Lock_Gregory.jpg.8e63b5c6f77711055a1253a87a8ec448.jpg

20200427_133252.thumb.png.3ab3d35b8eec194253639031585e5b64.png

20200427_133542.thumb.png.2def796ea51c9576888af45dd64a0eee.png

• Like 5

On 26/04/2020 at 13:57, SwanR said:

I’ve only been to the Lion once but could certainly see the attraction. And the run to Thurne Dyke from Salhouse is something that we enjoyed a couple of times last October. But I think that on a blue sky day like today I would be turning up the Ant, destination Sutton Staithe or Paddy’s Lane, two of my favourites. 

Stalham Staithe on a day like today.

• Like 1