Marina Closed

DaveRolaves

No idea, but it's the least of the concerns at the moment. I'd hope it's closed and hope the marina owners will throw anyone off site that tries to access. Hopefully they are keeping an eye on the boat then again I hope they are Staying safe saving lives at home.

The boats insured and if there's any problems with it and the insurance company can sort it out, thats what insurance is there for.. I disagree with the NYA at present, the country is still in "Lockdown" no one needs to go out looking at bits of plastic floating in a marina at this moment in time.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, DaveRolaves said:

Our marina at st Olaves is closed and the swipe cards deactivated . The RYA have said that there is no reason why owners should not be able to check boats for safety and security issues.

What is the situation at your marinas

Have the marina informed you that it's closed? I haven't been near, but haven't had any communication from them.

I assume if they are closed that they are not allowing the BA in for their usual poke around for boats afloat that are not tolled. Mind you plainly if you are not allowed to use your boat, or even access your boat, then clearly it is being stored and not liable to a toll.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DaveRolaves said:

Our marina at st Olaves is closed and the swipe cards deactivated . The RYA have said that there is no reason why owners should not be able to check boats for safety and security issues.

What is the situation at your marinas

I would speak to them just to check, if their office is unmanned they probably have an email address, web site or facebook page for contact.

I believe that closed marinas will usually have a skeleton staff or an on call member for safety checks etc. I'm sure they will check your boat out if you ask them.

1 hour ago, DaveRolaves said:

The RYA have said that there is no reason why owners should not be able to check boats for safety and security issues.

Strangely enough i have just looked on the RYA website -

https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/news/Pages/coronavirus-advice-and-information-for-recreational-boaters.aspx,

and can find no such statement, they do say they are making representations to the government, but they dont say what you are saying they have, unless you have a link that quotes them as saying this - from their website

rya.JPG

• Like 2

Apparently there is a post circulating on facebook stating that definitive guidance is being sought from key government ministers on the matter of owners being able to check their boats for safety and security, which is a country mile different to the statement quoted in the original post.

The RYA is making noises about trying to get the government to derestrict Marinas for anxious owners. 

Really, it's similar to the not irregular postings on the FB groups where people are looking for loopholes, excuses or otherwise to effectively say "it doesn't apply to me".  

Sorry, but it seems that it applies to everyone and more and more, those who wish to test it are being turned away by the police and in many cases, fined. 

My entire livelihood is afloat in a yard 20 minutes drive away and I have been there three times since lockdown began and on each occasion combining it with other essential tasks. Remember, I am permitted to go there (however far away) as it is my place of work. 3 visits. 

A well-maintained boat in a marina is really not much of a maintenance risk and i very much doubt that any insurance policy would stand a legal test if it argued that the vessel wasn't regularly visited whilst in lockdown and therefore not pay out should the need arise

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

here is the text from that post from the RYA

Important info

RYA seeking loosening of restrictions on marinas and moorings!
Definitive guidance sought from key Government Ministers
With the current COVID-19 pandemic forcing the country into lockdown, the RYA has received a considerable number of enquiries from members who are not able to gain access to their boats now that most marinas have closed.
We are acutely aware that our members currently have valid concerns about the inability to undertake checks in respect of security and essential maintenance.  In response, the RYA is writing to key Government Ministers seeking definitive guidance that will give a clear and practical way forward to give owners immediate access to their boats whilst respecting current measures to control COVID-19.
Over recent weeks the RYA has been in discussions with the Government officials making the case for limited and controlled access to boats locked down in marinas. The RYA believes that visiting marinas and spending time working on a boat that is moored or ashore can be readily achieved within the parameters of the existing core Government advice regarding hygiene and social distancing. With representations to date not delivering a solution to what is evidently a critical issue for affected members, the RYA is taking the case to Ministers and calling for the support of Members of Parliament.
Boat owners need access to their property to undertake essential maintenance, for example checks for water ingress, maintenance of engines and electrical installations that cannot be undertaken by marina staff.  Many boat owners are also obligated by their insurers to visit their vessel regularly to avoid cover being refused in respect of maintenance related claims.  The RYA’s advice to members is that you should check this aspect of your insurance policy with your insurers no matter what the policy states. A lockdown insurance update has also been published on the RYA website.
Sarah Treseder, RYA Chief Executive, says: “We acknowledge and appreciate that marina operators are working as hard as possible under difficult circumstances, and are doing their best to take care of boats during the lockdown.  However, marina staff obviously cannot undertake the sort of essential maintenance that responsible owners would do.
“The significant number of approaches that the RYA has received from members demonstrates that this is a critical issue for boat owners.  We believe there are measures that could be permitted immediately within the existing Government guidance to allow access for essential maintenance. All are predicated on the overarching need to keep people socially distant from those outside their immediate household, to shield the elderly and those with underlying medical conditions, and prevent unnecessary travel.
“The RYA fully supports the measures that the Government has put in place to tackle the spread of the virus and we understand the motivation of marina operators to support Government action and safeguard their staff and customers. We will engage with them to work collaboratively to deliver a solution for boat owner access within the parameters of existing Government guidance on hygiene and social distancing.
“As a membership organisation, the RYA will continue to robustly represent members’ interests and support personal members who contact us directly in respect of their experiences with individual marinas. Concerned members should contact cruising@rya.org.ukand use the RYA Coronavirus hub, which outlines current advice and information for recreational boaters.”
With all sports starting to consider recovery, the RYA is developing a ‘Return to Boating’ strategy aimed at getting the message over that there is a very strong case for boating to be one of the first activities that could be resumed safely within any necessary parameters for social distancing, once we start to see a relaxation of the current restrictions.
“We remain committed to representing the interests of our valued members and the wider boating community and we look forward to seeing you back on the water when as soon as it is safe and advisable for us to do so,

Which basically says they are discussing the relaxation of the no visit rule with the government,

not that they are saying its ok to visit your boat yet

• Like 1

I sadly do not really trust my marina to keep their eye on my boat, as I would wish, to protect my investment - despite reassuring words offered by some here. I know for a fact most marinas never check the boats and I would prefer not to rely on my insurance policy!!! Insurance companies always find wriggle room as I have learnt to my cost only recently for an electrical fire and with that in mind, I will always keep an eye on mine!

This winter I know that no one checked mooring lines to allow for very high levels and I also know they never check inside, even a cursory glance! With most Broads boats draining from the aft well into the bilge , it is essential periodically or don't auto bilge pumps ever fail? It is also not unknown for skin fittings to fail - but to be fair no cursory inspection is going to sort that one!

I try to take care of my boat and to suggest I should rely totally on someone else is not acceptable to me i am afraid, unless a yard owner is prepared to indemnify me in the case of an insurance company operating within its wriggle boundaries, finds another excuse!

• Like 5

St Olaves marina has not contacted me or my fellow neighbours personally but I understand that there is a notice on the gate to say that the marina is locked and the swipe cards will not work. One of our neighbours at the marina is concerned for his boat and has contacted the broads authority. They have said that one of the rangers in a broads authority boat could check his boat in the marina if there is no one able or available on the marina staff to check it for him.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DaveRolaves said:

. . . . . . has contacted the broads authority. They have said that one of the rangers in a broads authority boat could check his boat in the marina if there is no one able or available on the marina staff to check it for him.

Excellent News, BA Rangers doing good!

• Like 3

Any well run marina or other business for that matter should be aware of modern communications in the form of online reviews and should making the effort to provide a good service at this time. And as we can all pick up emails by mobile phone etc. there are very few excuses for a lack of response, even if it's only an "out of office" reply.

I spoke with Graham last week ,because I'm concerned about our batteries. We dont have shore power.I then spoke with David at cove.The gates are open,Graham will check on the boat on our behalf. Regarding in normal times I know David and others check on our boat during  bad weather,lvery low or high tides which is reassuring. 

I made sure that there was plenty of credit on our electric post before I closed down the boat after the lock down was announced. all lines checked, gas turned off etc until owners are next on the boat. 

The marina will put credit on the posts if paid for over the phone, like most marinas they are being manned on reduced hours by staff.

15 hours ago, JawsOrca said:

No idea, but it's the least of the concerns at the moment. I'd hope it's closed and hope the marina owners will throw anyone off site that tries to access. Hopefully they are keeping an eye on the boat then again I hope they are Staying safe saving lives at home.

I suppose that there must be exceptions for liveaboards within marinas, since it is their home (and I for one am comforted that they are present with their eyes and ears open).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TeamElla said:

I suppose that there must be exceptions for liveaboards within marinas, since it is their home (and I for one am comforted that they are present with their eyes and ears open).

Liveaboards are interesting. If you are on a non residential berth and the marina is closed it appears you aren't allowed access, That's what I've heard anyway, I suspect those like this have ventured onto the main rivers, or blind eyes are still practised and it's as normal, who knows but I'm sure they are living as close to normal as possible.  The rangers will know also who's who and I'm sure are acting as humans. 

As we have a residential berth the marinas open as usual with the social distancing rules.. Although if I spot non residential owners in here they will be soon reminded where to go (but there's not many of them and you never seem them anyway)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marshman said:

Mark - I accept that but would they have done that without you asking - thats the issue! My suspicion is not!!

They have kept one member on for boat inspections and general maintenance and the gardeners are still in.

We all had an email at the start saying to contract them if we needed specific things checked.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I wonder if anyone who has …  shall we say ..."delayed" paying their toll will have the brass neck to expect their boat to have an eye kept on it. I do hope not.

I don't doubt for one minute that whilst checking the boat in question that the toll number and toll itself will also be checked! To allay your suspicions I suspect that you can guarantee that it will be checked, and maybe a few other nearby boats too! . 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I wonder if anyone who has …  shall we say ..."delayed" paying their toll will have the brass neck to expect their boat to have an eye kept on it. I do hope not.

I would expect the marina who have taken an annual mooring fee to ensure that arrangements are in place for the boats to be checked and ensure they are stored safely until the owners are allowed access again to reuse them. Since they are being stored technically there is no need for a toll, so I don't really see what that has to do with any duty of care the marina has towards the customers boats.

How's that for brass neck? :default_biggrin:

• Like 2