Fisherman65

Fisherman65

1 hour ago, Fisherman65 said:

Should boat owners get some money back from the broads authority for not being able to use there boats due to the lockdown?

It would seem reasonable that they should, or at least something similar to what is happening on the canals.

Hi Fisherman65 and welcome.

You won't be surprised to find this has been widely discussed on the forum. I think as a fisherman it's entirely appropriate that you have have arrived with a can of worms :default_biggrin:

My comment is entirely tongue in cheek, welcome and enjoy NBN :default_beerchug:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grendel said:

are you getting a rebate on your road tax for not being able to use your car?

The SORN system springs to mind.

By the way, Fisherman, welcome to the forum. You have chosen a topic that's already been discussed  to death! In a nutshell there are those who think that they should and those that think that they shouldn't! 

Car insurance is probably not a very good example because whether you use your car or not, or are able, or allowed to, then you will still want to insure it against fire or theft, although if you have a garage you do have the option of locking it away and cancelling your insurance. Probably the closest comparison then would be road tax. If you use your car on the road, even the little you are allowed to use it for the few trips to grab essentials then you have to pay road tax. However you could always decide to park the car off road on your drive or other private land and then SORN the car and therefore pay no road tax. Here it gets slightly interesting, because if you own a flat with communal grounds and private car park you will normally be allocated a parking space as a part of your lease. You could chose to park your car in your allocated space and since it is off the public highway you could then SORN your car until you wish to use it and then you would have to tax it for either the 6 months or the 12 month period. I guess you could say your car was parked on "adjacent" land and therefore whilst SORN'ed not liable to road tax. 

But I guess none of that has properly answered the original question. I don't think you should get money back if you have already paid your toll, but an extension to the toll equivalent to the months that people are restricted from using their boat would be appropriate. If you haven't already paid your toll and providing it is in adjacent waters then it would seem appropriate to pay for a 12 month toll from the time the restrictions are lifted.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Why? Just because a new poster hadn't noticed that the topic has already been discussed? As the Friendly Forum surely we don't worry about such details! 

Well we all think as we please. Friendly is not the issue. I didn't say vindictive wind up. I think it may be that the fisherman is dangling a bit of bait and some big ones are being reeled in!:facepalm:

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...