Aluminium Cleaner Trick?

cream of tartar, mix to a paste with warm water and apply with a toothbrush.

whilst in boots recently they had Colgate 360 electric brushes half price at £3, they are disposable in that you can't replace the battery of the head but did around all the aluminium trim on our caravan and made a lovely job. Still working well so it's gone in my tool box for similar jobs in the future, or in case I ever have aluminium teeth fitted

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grendel said:

whatever you do dont use anything abrasive, the anodising is only a few microns thick, and once you go through that the aluminium will corrode faster.

I think with older boats having all manner of polishes on them by the time the frames are going dull it is too late most of the anodising is long gone.

Also  boats should never be subjected to silicon polishes they should be waxed as silicon goes into the gel-coat. Should painting then be needed you will have to rub right back to stop silicon contamination which is especially noticable if using twopack.

6 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Just wondering if anybody has a trick for cleaning dirty aluminium window frames?

Tell the wife.

Youtube and various search engines are full of suggestions, most of which look likely to destroy the anodized finish.

One even says that to clean it properly you have to remove the anodized finish completely with drain cleaner.

However, try this link from a company called Alumeco, elbow grease is extra !

https://www.alumeco.com/knowledge-technique/surface-treatment/cleaning-of-anodized-aluminium

Cleaning Anodised Aluminium - Save money Don't buy owt that has 'Marine' on the label / price tag.  Get yersen some car type alloy wheel cleaner - Much cheaper, very effective and won't harm the anodized finish.

Y'all can thank me later - Mines a pint! :default_beerchug:

Griff

9 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Cleaning Anodised Aluminium - Save money Don't buy owt that has 'Marine' on the label / price tag.  Get yersen some car type alloy wheel cleaner - Much cheaper, very effective and won't harm the anodized finish.

Y'all can thank me later - Mines a pint! :default_beerchug:

Griff

If anyone can interpret from Yorkshire to the English language, it would be appreciated. :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1