Sad Loss

socrates

It is with sadness that I announce the death of Jim Sharpe, owner of Manxman. Manxman was a familiar sight on the Broads, crewed by Jim and his late brother (not forgetting their dogs). They were regulars at the various wooden boat events and in later years, Jim continued to holiday on the Broads alone with his two dogs for company. Some of you may know that I am a councilor and Jim was a journalist on our local paper, as a result we knew each other in another context. In the midst of a discussion about a local issue, we would often end up discussing the joys of wooden boat ownership and the delights of cruising on the Broads. When we purchased Broadland Grebe, Jim and his brother (along with a few others) were a source of encouragement, and always willing to share knowledge.  

Jim was very involved in the Liverpool YMCA and they would help him with transport to the Broads. I am told that Manxman will be left in the custodianship of the YMCA. Jim loved the Broads and had been visiting with his brother and his parents since he was a boy. He had a wealth of tales to tell and was always willing to tell them. A good who is a sad loss to the Broads community. Fair winds and safe moorings to you, Jim. 

Funeral and memorial arrangements are very much subject to COVID restrictions, no details are available.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

Very sad news indeed. Had the opportunity to have many a chat with Jim over the last two wooden boat meets and the odd occasion in between. Will miss seeing him and dogs about the place!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this news, have seen them many times on the rivers with their collie dogs. I think I can remember  him telling us they used to hire the boat for a few years and when  the boat yard was selling it they bought it off them.

John

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jbx5 said:

Sorry to hear this news, have seen them many times on the rivers with their collie dogs. I think I can remember  him telling us they used to hire the boat for a few years and when  the boat yard was selling it they bought it off them.

John

That is right, they used to hire from Herbert Woods with their parents, and eventually bought her, the original name escapes me just now. They re-named her Manxman after one of the Liverpool-Isle of Man steam packet boats. Jim also had a passion for these classic ships which graced the Irish sea in the 1950's-1990's, he had a wealth of knowledge about them as well and had a huge collection of memorabilia, this included several brass fittings from the ship which adorned Manxman the Broads cruiser.   

I am now able to inform members that I have the honour and privilege of arranging and conducting Jim's funeral, which will be a celebration of his life and love of the Broads and his other interests. His funeral will take place at Thornton Crematorium on Merseyside at 3.30pm on Wednesday 27th May. We might be able to film the funeral and post it on a relevant Facebook page, I have done this with a few funerals these last few weeks. As Jim was so well-known on the Broads, we are sure many people would like to attend "in spirit", if not in person.  

In accordance with Jim's wishes, We hope to have a suitable ceremony on the Broads when we are able to do so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6