Newson Boats 1980s Fleet Were Are They Now?

Does anybody know of the whereabouts, or the fate of the following boats, of the Newson Boats Oulton Broad hire fleet late 80s.

1 -  Amethyst (E149)

2 - Emerald (W128)

3 - Blue Dimond (S40)

4 - Falling Leaves (class) (W326 & W914)

5 - Bebe Grand (W512)

6 - Oulton Pearl (class) (L215 & L648) Dawncraft Illusive 37.

7 - Turkish Delight (class) (M172 & M333) Bounty Traveller 34.

8 - Turkish Desire (class) (M813 & P269) Ideal 40

I am the Grandson of the former owner of Newson Boats Ltd (W.G. Stratford) and am trying to put some history together for my father as a memento of his time as a Director of NB.

Any information of current whereabouts or fate, photos or memory’s of one of the boats would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Amethyst is no longer. She was owned by a couple who had her based at Princess Cruisers marina in Loddon and who'd spent quite some time and money on her over the years. Sadly, about 5 years ago Amethyst's hull was deemed beyond repair and I was told she was broken up on site.

Emerald. I spent probably five years looking for Emerald but have never found a trace of her.

Topaz. Now here's a happier tale. Topaz is alive and kicking and down south. She is somewhat modified from her original lines and now called Spruce Goose. More information on the National Historic Ships register where she can be found but heres a couple of snaps from a few years ago by her current owner.

P1010197.thumb.JPG.f73546fe0add7b23da5a783484eff4e0.JPG

P1010161.jpg.d42c0818f7484242cc56836f1aec9ab0.jpg

P1010223.thumb.JPG.32ad05dd0ccbab51b6d17e5d9dc9bb2a.JPG

topaz.jpg.3bf03c8fb6da48f06597d872c1ccf012.jpg

Blue Diamond. At one time it was thought that Blue Diamond was used as a mobile shop on the northern rivers but that turned out to be a different boat. Blue Diamond is a fairly common name which has lead to a couple of wild goose chases but no sign of her.

Falling Leaves. We nearly acquired one of the Falling Leaves a few years ago. She had been used as a liveaboard and was in quite a state but we would have taken her on if the seller had been anywhere reasonable with his asking price. "They are worth £40.000 done so I want £7500 for the wreck" She was based on Thorpe Island and met with a chain saw a couple of years ago. Her sister ship seems long gone. I was also searching for Pegasus - another from the class. Did you know Fred Newson built half a dozen of them?

Here's the last picture I have of her taken in 2013

504413081_fallingleaves22013.JPG.f9d7fc596b7097c45d97ae9f061259d7.JPG

Babe Grande. Babe was laying at Martham Boats and not in bad overall condition but abandoned. She was broken up 2 years ago along with about a dozen other old broads cruisers when that part of the site was cleared.

Turkish Desires. No idea where they have ended up but they are not on the Broads. They are easy to spot though as there were only ever four Ideal 40's with the dark tinted 'Sundym' windows. Your grandad's two had varnished oak rubbing strakes and mahogany interiors. By the way, did you know your grandad had a hand in the Ideal 40's inception? Thats a story for another day. Here's a well used (on here at least) photograph of Turkish Desire No1, the first Ideal 40, at her launch.

1061.thumb.jpg.209367f506243c2472680058a6d5fb3d.jpg

Yep, I do need to get out more!

• Like 14
  • Love 1

Thank you for all the information so far, I had seen the website, Boats of the Norfolk broads. I was reaching out in the hope that some of the members may have some additional info. As most of the fleet seemed to leave the broads in 1986 & 1991, the later I presume when Newson Boats finished for good.

Thank you to JanetAnne for the above info, regarding Amethyst, falling Leaves, Bebe Grand, very sad to read.

I still live in the hope that Emerald & Blue Dimond are tucked away somewhere and one day are restored or like Topaz are alive and kicking on another waterway.

I would love to hear the story about my Grandfathers involvement in the Ideal 40s inception.

I know he was good friends with Ivan Waltaughton, known locally as (woolly hat) I’d always thought Ivan was the designer and builder of the Ideal 40s & Ideal 45s in Coville Road works (the pit) but I keep reading Aquafibre Ideal 40? Also the man stood with Jimmy Hoseason is Ivan, not my grandfather, looking at the Ideal 40 they are stood on top of I think that’s one of the first two built that ended up with a boat yard in Loddon I think. Both of our Ideal 40s had a slightly different bow rail the the one in the photo.

looking at the Photo, it looks as though it was taken from the Wherry Hotel car park.

once again thanks for everyone’s in put its very much appreciated.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

...Turkish Desires. No idea where they have ended up but they are not on the Broads. They are easy to spot though as there were only ever four Ideal 40's with the dark tinted 'Sundym' windows. ....

All Ideal 40's built in the 6 berth layout had tinted windows, where the 8 berth did not

They certainly looked a lot smarter for the tinted windows I always thought

Dan

24 minutes ago, Dan said:

All Ideal 40's built in the 6 berth layout had tinted windows, where the 8 berth did not

They certainly looked a lot smarter for the tinted windows I always thought

Dan

That's because the 8 berths were all fitted out by Cheeseman Rollo at Hazelmere and they wanted plain windows because they were cheaper. Theirs also had black rubber fendering all round. 

7 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

That's because the 8 berths were all fitted out by Cheeseman Rollo at Hazelmere and they wanted plain windows because they were cheaper. Theirs also had black rubber fendering all round. 

Do you believe that all 6 berth variants were built at Newson then?  There was an awful lot more than four across all the hirefleets?

Dan

No sorry, that's not what I said. 

The only customer for Ideal 40's without tinted windows were Cheeseman Rollo. Their boats also has a red gelcoat stripe and rubber fendering. They took maybe 20 Ideal 40's in that guise. Theirs.was the 8 berth spec.

Cheeseman Rollo also took 8 Ideal 45's in the same spec but with British racing green stripe!

At the end of 1985 the mould tools for both boats went to Aquafibre and were then marketed as the Aquafibre Ideal 40 or 45 respectively. Aquafibre paid a royalty on mouldings sold. I have no idea about specifications of the Aquafibre boats because those were sold as mouldings only. The last boat out the moulds before they went to AF was specified in bright orange and was for Sabena Marine and became 'Magnifique 1'

17 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

No sorry, that's not what I said. ...

I was taking you back to your earlier comment and asking a question relating to that

11 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

...Turkish Desires. No idea where they have ended up but they are not on the Broads. They are easy to spot though as there were only ever four Ideal 40's with the dark tinted 'Sundym' windows....

Across all fleets and waterways I would estimate there was about 12/15 tinted window 6 berth versions running in the very early 80's.  Do you believe all were built by Newson's?

Dan

11 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Amethyst is no longer. She was owned by a couple who had her based at Princess Cruisers marina in Loddon and who'd spent quite some time and money on her over the years. Sadly, about 5 years ago Amethyst's hull was deemed beyond repair and I was told she was broken up on site.

Emerald. I spent probably five years looking for Emerald but have never found a trace of her.

Topaz. Now here's a happier tale. Topaz is alive and kicking and down south. She is somewhat modified from her original lines and now called Spruce Goose. More information on the National Historic Ships register where she can be found but heres a couple of snaps from a few years ago by her current owner.

P1010197.thumb.JPG.f73546fe0add7b23da5a783484eff4e0.JPG

P1010161.jpg.d42c0818f7484242cc56836f1aec9ab0.jpg

P1010223.thumb.JPG.32ad05dd0ccbab51b6d17e5d9dc9bb2a.JPG

topaz.jpg.3bf03c8fb6da48f06597d872c1ccf012.jpg

Blue Diamond. At one time it was thought that Blue Diamond was used as a mobile shop on the northern rivers but that turned out to be a different boat. Blue Diamond is a fairly common name which has lead to a couple of wild goose chases but no sign of her.

Falling Leaves. We nearly acquired one of the Falling Leaves a few years ago. She had been used as a liveaboard and was in quite a state but we would have taken her on if the seller had been anywhere reasonable with his asking price. "They are worth £40.000 done so I want £7500 for the wreck" She was based on Thorpe Island and met with a chain saw a couple of years ago. Her sister ship seems long gone. I was also searching for Pegasus - another from the class. Did you know Fred Newson built half a dozen of them?

Here's the last picture I have of her taken in 2013

504413081_fallingleaves22013.JPG.f9d7fc596b7097c45d97ae9f061259d7.JPG

Babe Grande. Babe was laying at Martham Boats and not in bad overall condition but abandoned. She was broken up 2 years ago along with about a dozen other old broads cruisers when that part of the site was cleared.

Turkish Desires. No idea where they have ended up but they are not on the Broads. They are easy to spot though as there were only ever four Ideal 40's with the dark tinted 'Sundym' windows. Your grandad's two had varnished oak rubbing strakes and mahogany interiors. By the way, did you know your grandad had a hand in the Ideal 40's inception? Thats a story for another day. Here's a well used (on here at least) photograph of Turkish Desire No1, the first Ideal 40, at her launch.

1061.thumb.jpg.209367f506243c2472680058a6d5fb3d.jpg

Yep, I do need to get out more!

For me that is one ugly looking boat and with photo shop men on board so to speak, the picture for me is destined for the shedder.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Upcycler said:

For me that is one ugly looking boat and with photo shop men on board so to speak, the picture for me is destined for the shedder.

Lucky that someone thought differently and kept it as it has created interest and conversation a few times on here for those interested in this boat launch/the history of this design and the people involved in how it came about

Dan

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Dan said:

I was taking you back to your earlier comment and asking a question relating to that

Across all fleets and waterways I would estimate there was about 12/15 tinted window 6 berth versions running in the very early 80's.  Do you believe all were built by Newson's?

Dan

No they were not all built by Newsons.

You do have me at a slight disadvantage Dan, I know these are a particular interest of yours and I am unable to get access to a certain book at the minute so it's all from a fairly old memory this end! 

Some boats had a really dark tint (it was all about the 'private look' ) but it was deemed a bit too ambulance like for some. The cheaper clear glass felt like a greenhouse and so there was a compromise smoked tint offered as well in a couple of shades. 

I think the first four on the broads were all dark tint like I said earlier and the next four were the 'guardsman' boats that went to the Thames and were probably dark tint as well. The guardsman boats were the last four fitted out completely and that must have been 1981? 

All the rest of the boats from then on were sold as either just mouldings or stage two kits. Stage two had the hull and superstructure joined, windows fitted along with deck furniture and handrails. Engine beds in and bulkheads bonded in place. People liked the stage two kits.

• Like 1

Interesting stuff indeed!  I have been trying to remember them all in my head and the 4 Guardsmen built for the Thames with the other 4 could be all the ones with tinted glass, but there could have been a few more as with classes it was hard to know hw many each fleet had in all and on the Thames especially they swapped fleets a lot.  

The first we hired had been built by Cheesman Rollo and had a very faded red stripe (as you mentioned) and the words "Conqueror 40" (the Chessman Rollo/Eurocruisers name where "Ideal 40" appeared on the others.

One of the 6 berths with tinted glass is now moored a couple of miles from home..... 

Dan

top 1st.jpg

Top 2nd.jpg

28 minutes ago, Dan said:

Interesting stuff indeed!  I have been trying to remember them all in my head and the 4 Guardsmen built for the Thames with the other 4 could be all the ones with tinted glass, but there could have been a few more as with classes it was hard to know hw many each fleet had in all and on the Thames especially they swapped fleets a lot.  

The first we hired had been built by Cheesman Rollo and had a very faded red stripe (as you mentioned) and the words "Conqueror 40" (the Chessman Rollo/Eurocruisers name where "Ideal 40" appeared on the others.

One of the 6 berths with tinted glass is now moored a couple of miles from home..... 

Dan

top 1st.jpg

Top 2nd.jpg

I think that's the same boat as in the picture that started this conversation off. Was Top Gem 1 not originally Broadband Grebe 1 many years ago?