Newson Boats 1980s Fleet Were Are They Now?

5 hours ago, Tobster said:

Here as 3 photos I have, one leaving the builders, entering the water for the first time & just after launch...

Great photo's, thanks for sharing.

Miss Selina taken in 2001 at Thames Ditton looks very similar just over 20 years later (though some seem to have the forward rail hump and others not) , but I wonder where she now is another 20 years on!?

Dan

Miss Selina 2001.JPG

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dan said:

Great photo's, thanks for sharing.

Miss Selina taken in 2001 at Thames Ditton looks very similar just over 20 years later (though some seem to have the forward rail hump and others not) , but I wonder where she now is another 20 years on!?

Dan

Miss Selina 2001.JPG

Something I have just remembered.  The first couple or so 40's had hinged rather than sliding entry doors.  If you look at the 'Jimmy Hoseason' picture you'll see the difference. Of course they could have been altered over time to match the rest!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

Something I have just remembered.  The first couple or so 40's had hinged rather than sliding entry doors.  If you look at the 'Jimmy Hoseason' picture you'll see the difference. Of course they could have been altered over time to match the rest!

Top Gem 1 looks to have been modified a sliding door on the helmside and the original on the other, Top Gem 2 definately has a sliding door on the helmside but unsure on the other side.... but they stand out in line with your James Hoseason photo in that the doors are not as tall/have fibreglass under them before meeting the gunwhale which the others didn't have....

TopGem1 L977 June2011 (2).JPG

TopGem1 L977 june2011 (3).JPG

TopGem2 M98 Sept2010.JPG

On 08/05/2020 at 13:33, Tobster said:

Here as 3 photos I have, one leaving the builders, entering the water for the first time & just after launch

Turkish Desire 1.jpg

Tobster: Here's a couple of your pics more like they probably looked originally

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 15.50.09.png

• Like 1

On 08/05/2020 at 18:33, Dan said:

but I wonder where she now is another 20 years on!?

There's one of these here in Hoo, I think it's top gem 2 (It came from norfolk and I remember it arriving a few years back). I'll see if I can get some pics and find out what it was.. Brother in law looked at one for a conversion but the low ceilings? Lots of space though although I think we looked at one of the champagnes.. A bit pointy too wouldnt like to be hit beam on by one..

Love these types of posts though shows how invaluable NBN is and the knowledge/experience held by of some of you guys. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Tobster said:

Here are some more very old photos I have of Blue Diamond, Emerald, Falling Leaves 1 & Bebe Grand 2.

I have some more very old photos I will upload when I can.

Blue Dimond & Emerald.jpg

Falling Leaves 1 & Bebe Grande 2.jpg

Emerald always was the prettiest of the four...

21 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

Emerald always was the prettiest of the four...

In the 1980s I believe she was the only broads cruser fitted with a full size bath.

she was also slightly bigger than Topaz & Blue Diamond at 43’.

Its such a shame I can’t seem to find out what her fate was.

17 minutes ago, Tobster said:

Its such a shame I can’t seem to find out what her fate was.

You and me both chap.

It was Emerald that I was looking for when I wanted to buy a broads cruiser 10 or so years ago. Not only was there no trace, nobody even knew of her fate. Most boats that stayed on the Broads usually someone knows something about but her and Sapphire just vanished.  

• 4 weeks later...

The House Boat Katrina was one of two her sister was called Miranda. at one time they were very popular and created a lot of work on a saturday turn around.

Miranda had an extra window on the port side at the front, this was the easiest way to tell them apart.

Also I remember Katrina sank at the end of the garden during the winter freeze, thus receiving an unscheduled refit prior to following season.