Boris Says We Can Go Boating!! - (Not sure he did we must wait clarification (edited by Maxwellian)

JennyMorgan

Whoopee, Boris has just stated that we can go outside and participate in the sport of our choice! Not sure that driving a motor vessel or a Gin Palace can be construed as a sport, even if it's a 'sports cruiser', but certainly many forms of boating can! Good on you, Boris! 

11 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Of course we can’t JM and we’ll you know it

Griff

Your problem is you're still a tiler. We have all been told to adapt to the current situation and so Grifftile needs to become Grifftest!

You could become a Norfolk Broads boat tester. Performance, handling, mooring techniques.... all part of the service of a boat tester and you'd be at work! Simples

• Like 1

If I can go and sit on a park bench and have a picnic, I can sit on my boat and clean it, no sorry eat a picnic. Someone explain the difference please, now that the "essential travel" bit seems to have gone? Why does doing that carry any risk to me or others?

If they now have only 20 ICU beds at the NNUH, then things have changed as they had more than that I think you will find.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Of course we can’t JM and we’ll you know it

Griff

Actually I don't know it. What I do know is that sailing clubs have construed Boris's announcement as being that people can at least race their sailing boats provided that the crews are from the same family. Indeed at least one club is racing on Wednesday evening. I suspect that this will also apply to any form of competitive or solo boating. The BBC's news website has the recording of Boris's statement.

I would think if you need to travel more than a few miles to get to your boat, then it is not acceptable, if you are 5 minutes from the boat and are prepared to argue the fact that working on your boat is a form of exercise, then it will be down to you, but dont blame anyone else if it cops you a fine. if you want to go rowing or kyaking from your garden then maybe, but i for one would wait until we get an official interpretation from the Broads Authority. going out cruising for enjoyment? probably not just yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sadly , yet again, the relaxation of measures has been very very poorly worded and can be construed many ways .

I , like many other members badly want to visit our boat , if only to check all is ok , but acknowledge the ambiguity of Boris’s speech IMHO doesn’t yet permit it , no doubt the question of visiting holiday homes will rear up over the next day or so and there will be an official response .

• Like 4

1 minute ago, grendel said:

but i for one would wait until we get an official interpretation from the Broads Authority.

Not sure that that is for the BA to interpret although they might choose to advise. Personally I trust the word of our Prime Minister. Many forms of boating are sport, no question. Some forms of boat are unquestionably 'accommodation', as in hotel or guest house but perhaps if all the crew are from the same household then so be it. Whatever, I don't see the PM's announcement as sanctioning Broads holidays.  This one surely boils down to a common sense interpretation and with the best will in the world I wouldn't rely on the BA in that regard. Incidentally anglers are taking Boris's word to include them.   

• Like 1

As is everyone interpreting it to mean they can do what they want to do. i would still say any distance to travel more than locally will be prohibited. but you broads inhabitants may at least be able to visit your boats (if the marinas will let you)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Poppy said:

'The BBC understands that the changes in the guidelines will mean two friends would be able to sit more than two metres apart in a park, and also that sports like golf, tennis, fishing and outdoor watersports will now be possible for people in the same household.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518

And we know that we trust both the BBC and a politician!

I can see lots of wives going sailing this weekend, even if they don't want to!

Throughout the country, people will be analyising Boris's speech. Women will be sat there anxiously thinking about money worries, food queues, shortage of medication, school re-opening dates, issues re public transport usage and work.

Whilst blokes will be sat there thinking "Oh *****cks, pubs still not open"

• Haha 2

Sorry but if you think everyone can go boating think again.One thing is very clear.If people  abuse this and all start going out not taking  care, the R number that we have learnt stands for rate of infection will go up again and we will be back to square one. Let's be very careful and not take risks.

• Like 7

But how can I infect anyone from my boat - half the reason he has done this, I suspect, is that transmission of the virus out in the open air, is pretty unlikely at a distance of 2 metres. We cannot live in a totally risk free environment - it has never been possible and that will not change!!

• Like 2
  • Confused 2