Boris Says We Can Go Boating!! - (Not sure he did we must wait clarification (edited by Maxwellian)

JennyMorgan

The Broads Authority have updated their website.

To summarise, sailing, canoeing, kayaking and paddle boarding on private vessels can resume in the Broads from Wednesday 13 May (for day trips only) and individuals are able to drive to access the waterways for these purposes. We will advise if the same is true for private powered craft as soon as we receive confirmation from the UK Government.

Broads Authority Statement, 12 May

The Broads Authority has been working with the Defra and the inland navigation authorities – the Environment Agency, the Canal and River Trust and the Association of Inland Navigation Authorities (AINA) - in order to obtain and give accurate guidance regarding boating on the Broads.

It is now clear that the Government guidelines issued yesterday (11 May) allow for sailing and paddle boating (including canoes, kayaks and paddle boards) to resume from Wednesday 13 May. We are awaiting clarification regarding whether private motor boats can be used for day trips.

There is a preference for consistent advice on boating across England. However other inland waterways may be forced to delay reopening for private powered boats as they need to complete tasks such as asset inspections to ensure their waterways are safe.

The Broads Authority has continued to maintain its waterways so they are ready to resume boating immediately. This is a unique position and we would be able welcome private powered craft back to Broads waterways this week.

We expect a decision regarding this from the Government tomorrow (Wednesday 13 May) and will communicate this to boat owners as soon as possible.

To summarise, sailing, canoeing, kayaking and paddle boarding on private vessels can resume in the Broads from Wednesday 13 May (for day trips only) and individuals are able to drive to access the waterways for these purposes.

We will advise if the same is true for private powered craft as soon as we receive confirmation from the UK Government.

As always, we continue to urge people to take care, follow guidelines and respect social distancing. Please plan ahead to ensure the safety of you and those around you, and try to avoid areas that may attract lots of people.

• Like 3

Thank you @JawsOrca for reproducing.

Webpage here: https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news/coronavirus-covid-19

Updated FAQs here: https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news/coronavirus-frequently-asked-questions

We will try to answer any questions that people may have, although it's very busy as you can expect.

Thanks,

Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

I wonder will there be public lavatory facilities available for said folk or just for people traveling in the area in general, it could be a tad awkward.

8 minutes ago, Jemaki said:

I wonder will there be public lavatory facilities available for said folk or just for people traveling in the area in general, it could be a tad awkward.

Public toilets are on the list of those being allowed to remain open. This doesn't mean that some local authorities won't use some excuse or other to save money and close them.

PART 3

24.  Food retailers, including food markets, supermarkets, convenience stores and corner shops.

25.  Off licenses and licensed shops selling alcohol (including breweries).

26.  Pharmacies (including non-dispensing pharmacies) and chemists.

27.  Newsagents.

28.  Homeware, building supplies and hardware stores.

29.  Petrol stations.

30.  Car repair and MOT services.

31.  Bicycle shops.

32.  Taxi or vehicle hire businesses.

33.  Banks, building societies, credit unions, short term loan providers and cash points.

34.  Post offices.

35.  Funeral directors.

36.  Laundrettes and dry cleaners.

37.  Dental services, opticians, audiology services, chiropody, chiropractors, osteopaths and other medical or health services, including services relating to mental health.

38.  Veterinary surgeons and pet shops.

39.  Agricultural supplies shop.

40.  Storage and distribution facilities, including delivery drop off or collection points, where the facilities are in the premises of a business included in this Part.

41.  Car parks.

42.  Public toilets.

1 hour ago, ZimbiIV said:

Reading this topic, I am so glad Boris has explained things so clearly and concisly or we would not know what to do.

Next time he is going to explain why water is wet so we can all stay dry!

paul

Paul every thing explained in my post above:default_biggrin:

7 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Public toilets are on the list of those being allowed to remain open. This doesn't mean that some local authorities won't use some excuse or other to save money and close them.

PART 3

24.  Food retailers, including food markets, supermarkets, convenience stores and corner shops.

25.  Off licenses and licensed shops selling alcohol (including breweries).

26.  Pharmacies (including non-dispensing pharmacies) and chemists.

27.  Newsagents.

28.  Homeware, building supplies and hardware stores.

29.  Petrol stations.

30.  Car repair and MOT services.

31.  Bicycle shops.

32.  Taxi or vehicle hire businesses.

33.  Banks, building societies, credit unions, short term loan providers and cash points.

34.  Post offices.

35.  Funeral directors.

36.  Laundrettes and dry cleaners.

37.  Dental services, opticians, audiology services, chiropody, chiropractors, osteopaths and other medical or health services, including services relating to mental health.

38.  Veterinary surgeons and pet shops.

39.  Agricultural supplies shop.

40.  Storage and distribution facilities, including delivery drop off or collection points, where the facilities are in the premises of a business included in this Part.

41.  Car parks.

42.  Public toilets.

Good job number 35 remained open!

• Haha 1

I was right, so there!!

From the BA:

The Broads Authority has been working with the Defra and the inland navigation authorities – the Environment Agency, the Canal and River Trust and the Association of Inland Navigation Authorities (AINA) - in order to obtain and give accurate guidance regarding boating on the Broads.

It is now clear that the Government guidelines issued yesterday (11 May) allow for sailing and paddle boating (including canoes, kayaks and paddle boards) to resume from Wednesday 13 May. We are awaiting clarification regarding whether private motor boats can be used for day trips.

There is a preference for consistent advice on boating across England. However other inland waterways may be forced to delay reopening for private powered boats as they need to complete tasks such as asset inspections to ensure their waterways are safe.

The Broads Authority has continued to maintain its waterways so they are ready to resume boating immediately. This is a unique position and we would be able welcome private powered craft back to Broads waterways this week.

We expect a decision regarding this from the Government tomorrow (Wednesday 13 May) and will communicate this to boat owners as soon as possible.

To summarise, sailing, canoeing, kayaking and paddle boarding on private vessels can resume in the Broads from Wednesday 13 May (for day trips only) and individuals are able to drive to access the waterways for these purposes.

We will advise if the same is true for private powered craft as soon as we receive confirmation from the UK Government.

As always, we continue to urge people to take care, follow guidelines and respect social distancing. Please plan ahead to ensure the safety of you and those around you, and try to avoid areas that may attract lots of people.

• Like 1

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

See, I was right, so there!! Pretty much as I expected too.

From the BA:

Kinda right Peter..

Just to help Tom out further:

He or colleagues answered a question about when Private boat use maybe permitted on facebook as: 

New exercise and outdoor visit rules to come in to effect from 13 May were announced on 10 and 11 May by the Prime Minister/Government.

We today received clarification from Defra that this includes water sports/exercise such as canoeing/kayaking/sailing as this was not made clear in the initial guidance.

Private boating on the Broads is a different and specific case that is not classed as exercise and was not clarified by recent guidance. Hence we have sought to hear back from the Government imminently as to whether it can resume with social distancing guidelines in place.

Thanks for your patience.

So we still need to wait. Even if the BA receive that guidance i guess it would depend on private marina access.

Also a bit of a concern; my Canoe and Kayak is covered by a BCU licence, at present the BCU haven't updated their advice (but promise to do so before wednesday) so I suspect until they update this and it's the same news then the licence isn't valid (maybe), I guess a BA tolled kayak is ok as long as tolls are paid.. I doubt we will be up the broads this weekend by may look to go up the medway assuming the EA and BCU confirm it's permitted that is and it's safe to socially distance on the river. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

Kinda right Peter..

Just to help Tom out further:

He or colleagues answered a question about when Private boat use maybe permitted on facebook as: 

New exercise and outdoor visit rules to come in to effect from 13 May were announced on 10 and 11 May by the Prime Minister/Government.

We today received clarification from Defra that this includes water sports/exercise such as canoeing/kayaking/sailing as this was not made clear in the initial guidance.

Private boating on the Broads is a different and specific case that is not classed as exercise and was not clarified by recent guidance. Hence we have sought to hear back from the Government imminently as to whether it can resume with social distancing guidelines in place.

Thanks for your patience.

So we still need to wait. Even if the BA receive that guidance i guess it would depend on private marina access.

Also a bit of a concern; my Canoe and Kayak is covered by a BCU licence, at present the BCU haven't updated their advice (but promise to do so before wednesday) so I suspect until they update this and it's the same news then the licence isn't valid (maybe), I guess a BA tolled kayak is ok as long as tolls are paid.. I doubt we will be up the broads this weekend by may look to go up the medway assuming the EA and BCU confirm it's permitted that is and it's safe to socially distance on the river. 

Hi @JawsOrca

I'm sure they won't mind me sharing this - I'm aware that British Canoeing will be issuing their own update shortly supporting a safe return to the water for paddlers.

If you have full paid up BCU membership, this is still acceptable in lieu of a toll to use the Broads waterways from tomorrow. However, if you have membership through a club (rather than full membership) it won't be enough to paddle on licensed waterways.

I believe they are releasing a statement this afternoon so keep an eye out for that.

Hope that helps,

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Again though political games are being played by the unions and the mayor of London. Running more trains will enable social distancing. Social distancing on trains is going to cost more money. The mayor and TFL need to raise that money from somewhere. Increase the fares? or a central government grant to run the service more frequently and at less capacity.

Or stop wasting money on projects the majority dont want and disrupts the lives of the poorest residents.

Fred 

8 minutes ago, BroadsAuthority said:

Private boating on the Broads is a different and specific case that is not classed as exercise and was not clarified by recent guidance.

For many of us a private boat is just as likely to be wind or paddle powered boat rather than engine powered. 

3 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

I don't think is't quite catch 22. Being sceptical, I would argue that we (the public) is being set up as a scapegoat for when this goes wrong again. It's not as though they don't have form for this. 

The sporadic and disjointed dissemination of information is either deliberate to create a scenario perhaps as I describe above or a show of utter incompetence. I believe both of these options to be entirely possible and plausible. 

The result is that it has the whole country waiting for the next episode of this frighteningly sick soap opera. The daily press conferences should have a rotating aerial image of Parliment square, be accompanied by a dramatic drum riff and with the word, "Westminsters" fading in.  

I am sick of this situation. Happy to stay at home but the handling of this crisis on a purely human level is criminal. 

Sorry but to me the vast majority understand the simple basic message, its the media certain  politicans and some members of the public who are trying to muddy the waters.

Fred 

• Like 4

Day trips to outdoor open space, in a private vehicle, are permitted. You should practise social distancing from other people outside your household.

the way i read this, a boat can be a private vehicle, an outdoor open space can be the middle of a broad or river, and i believe the guidance was exercise or recreation, so here is hoping that those local enough to the broads will be able for recreational purposes take their private vehicle to an outdoor open space.

• Like 3