Boris Says We Can Go Boating!! - (Not sure he did we must wait clarification (edited by Maxwellian)

JennyMorgan

Here's a question...is visiting your own private mooring to check on your boat etc. allowed if it is where your 2nd home is?

p.s. I won't be going as CBA driving but just thought it was a worthy question.

• Like 1

have richos now opened wetshed then?

copy from their website

Private Berth Holders

Please do not visit the marina. The following advice has been issued by the UK Government:

“This guidance is for people planning to visit second homes or holiday premises during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Essential travel does not include visits to second homes, camp sites, caravan parks or similar, whether for isolation purposes or holidays. People should remain in their primary residence. Not taking these steps puts additional pressure on communities and services that are already at risk.”

In line with this most recent advice, we please ask you not to visit your berth or the marina until further notice.

another thing, 157 ish miles even with no traffic means you are breaking the law many times over, that is an average of 62.5 mph ,,much of your route is 30 and 50 speed limit, riding like a demented idiot puts you and others at risk, exactly what needs avoiding

1 minute ago, chameleon said:

another thing, 157 ish miles even with no traffic means you are breaking the law many times over, that is an average of 62.5 mph ,,much of your route is 30 and 50 speed limit, riding like a demented idiot puts you and others at risk, exactly what needs avoiding

Do we take it that you are stuck in Wales...:default_biggrin:

50 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Nowadays I'm approximately 157-ish miles from 'B.A' (Used to be further until the NDR was opened). 

Here's the 'Plan' set off from home at 0400 arrive onboard at 0630 (Little traffic) get stuck in to the issues that are on our list.

Spend 15 x Hrs onboard without taking her out of the shed, no social contact with any 'Strangers' 

Depart for home at 2130, arrive home at 2359.

Give it a few days and repeat.

Have I broken any government instructions?  None that I can see until I 'Accidentally' fall asleep onboard whilst in the wetshed and don't make it home one evening

Griff

It might be worth checking that the marina is open for the whole of the time you want to be there Griff.  Some maybe only be open on reduced hours. 

37 minutes ago, chameleon said:

have richos now opened wetshed then?

copy from their website

Private Berth Holders

Please do not visit the marina. The following advice has been issued by the UK Government:

“This guidance is for people planning to visit second homes or holiday premises during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Essential travel does not include visits to second homes, camp sites, caravan parks or similar, whether for isolation purposes or holidays. People should remain in their primary residence. Not taking these steps puts additional pressure on communities and services that are already at risk.”

In line with this most recent advice, we please ask you not to visit your berth or the marina until further notice.

This info seems to be taken from their "Temporary Closure" page and this hasn't been updated since day one.

The "Latest Bookings Update" page is the one I am keeping an eye on (For obvious reasons, still hoping for July !) and this has been updated today, from 06/05/20, I think this repeated the private owner message at the bottom, but has now disappeared today.

I suggest any private boater at their marina telephones to remove any doubts

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Nowadays I'm approximately 157-ish miles from 'B.A' (Used to be further until the NDR was opened). 

Here's the 'Plan' set off from home at 0400 arrive onboard at 0630 (Little traffic) get stuck in to the issues that are on our list.

Spend 15 x Hrs onboard without taking her out of the shed, no social contact with any 'Strangers' 

Depart for home at 2130, arrive home at 2359.

Give it a few days and repeat.

Have I broken any government instructions?  None that I can see until I 'Accidentally' fall asleep onboard whilst in the wetshed and don't make it home one evening

Griff

At present there is no staying away overnight but what you said above made me think.

Do owners sleep on their craft in the Wet Shed? Because if so it should have fire detection installed and a full risk assessment done for the building for sleeping onboard along with emergency lighting to light the designated escape routes.

Having worked in the fire detection business I can imagine it would be a pretty difficult install to provide reliable detection.

But I am out of date as I left the industry as fire certificates were being phased out and retired. I suppose the BSS goes someway to ensuring it is safe.

I suspect a fair bit of what Griff wrote was said firmly tongue in cheek, though I'm not sure which parts. :default_rofl:

As has been suggested it is worth checking with your marina before travelling, especially any long distance to the boat. Some are still digesting the government guidance and putting in place measures for reopening as soon as possible. It would appear that whilst they could reopen from today, they will only do so safely.

This will interesting to a lot of people. An update from the Angling Trust... as yet not been on gov.uk but this will be reputable:-

We are delighted to announce that the Government's much anticipated new statement on travel and sport instead now reads "From today (13 May 2020) people in England can spend more time outdoors and enjoy a wider range of activities for any length of time, subject to social distancing rules."

Added link

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FAnglingTrust%2Fposts%2F2860614100674412%3A0&width=500" width="500" height="619" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

46 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

You can't stay over night on your boat, unless you are night fishing of course....

There's an interesting loophole, except it won't work till June 16th.

... unless yout boat's on the Cut, of course.

1 hour ago, Poppy said:

Meanwhile...

Police in England told they do not have powers to enforce social distancing

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-13/no-powers-to-enforce-social-distancing-in-england-police-told/

This is what happens when you have government by Regulation, and not Legislation.

As ever, the devil in in the detail. When people are going about their business individually, there is no law that says they mustn't go within 2 metres of someone else. It just a very sensible precaution (or so we're told). However, if a number of people decide to gather in a public place, whether or not they are within 2 metres of each other, the law says:

During the emergency period, no person may participate in a gathering in a public place of more than two people except—

(a)where all the persons in the gathering are members of the same household...

Relying on sound bites is never a good idea.

BTW, what is the difference between Regulation and Legislation? Regarding Covid-19 the primary legislation is the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984, under which the regulation, The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020, was made.

• Like 2

But my point is valid. Had this beed debated in the House, these irregularities would have been identified and sorted.

The issue of 'night fishing' is anothe such.

" I'm fishing Officer, sorry I must have nodded off". :default_biggrin:

20 minutes ago, Paladin said:

As ever, the devil in in the detail. When people are going about their business individually, there is no law that says they mustn't go within 2 metres of someone else. It just a very sensible precaution (or so we're told). However, if a number of people decide to gather in a public place, whether or not they are within 2 metres of each other, the law says:

During the emergency period, no person may participate in a gathering in a public place of more than two people except—

(a)where all the persons in the gathering are members of the same household...

Relying on sound bites is never a good idea.

BTW, what is the difference between Regulation and Legislation? Regarding Covid-19 the primary legislation is the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984, under which the regulation, The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020, was made.

This is what slightly worries me and I'm not legal expert at all... I understood the the COVID restrictions where written in law and thus the police can enforce. (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/regulation/6/made

The kind of lifting of these "Restrictions" are just guidance are they not? The law hasn't been changed at present so surely all  restrictions written in law are still in place and thus the police can still enforce??? Are we being led down a path where there is currently a law in place but the government is advising we can break it? (I hope that makes sense).

8 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

This is what slightly worries me and I'm not legal expert at all... I understood the the COVID restrictions where written in law and thus the police can enforce. (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/regulation/6/made

The kind of lifting of these "Restrictions" are just guidance are they not? The law hasn't been changed at present so surely all  restrictions written in law are still in place and thus the police can still enforce??? Are we being led down a path where there is currently a law in place but the government is advising we can break it? (I hope that makes sense).

The 2 metre seperation thing is not enshrined in the regulation,legislation or whatever you wish to call it,  It came as guidance.  Therefore  "guidelines issued by the College of Policing and the National Police Chiefs’ Council urges officers to only enforce what is written in law, adding that “Government guidance is not enforceable; for example, two-metre distancing, avoiding public transport, or the wearing of face coverings in enclosed spaces” appears correct.

4 minutes ago, Poppy said:

The 2 metre seperation thing is not enshrined in the regulation,legislation or whatever you wish to call it,  It came as guidance.  Therefore  "guidelines issued by the College of Policing and the National Police Chiefs’ Council urges officers to only enforce what is written in law, adding that “Government guidance is not enforceable; for example, two-metre distancing, avoiding public transport, or the wearing of face coverings in enclosed spaces” appears correct.

That's the thing, the restrictions on movement is written in law: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/regulation/6/made  Unless the defence is "Exercise" , although checking my boat can hardly be explained as exercise but if it's not so clearly written then why was it enforceable least week?? (Surely last week then the police was acting on guidance. (or perhaps we aren't in this emergency period now).. it's all so bizarre, I've always been led to believe that law is pretty black and white but it seems so grey at present. I wouldn't like to be a copper or a judge at the moment... :default_blink:

56 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

There is only ONE restriction on movement: "During the emergency period, no person may leave or be outside of the place where they are living without reasonable excuse." That is still in force.

Everything else is how that restriction can be ignored without fear of prosecution. So there has to be a "reasonable excuse" for anyone to go out. The regulations originally set out a list, which was not exhaustive, of circumstances which would be a "reasonable excuse". That list has now been expanded, by subsequent guidance from the government, as to what would be considered rasonable, in the light of subsequent developments.

The basic restriction hasn't been lifted. It's just that more "reasonable excuses" have been provided by government advice.

• Thanks 1