Boris Says We Can Go Boating!! - (Not sure he did we must wait clarification (edited by Maxwellian)

JennyMorgan

Both my sons, my grandaughter and my brother are highly likely to have had Covid 19 since Christmas. That is 4 people.

I also know four friends who have died from confirmed covid 19.

One was 70, two were in their 60s and one was a fit 49 year old.

That is FOUR too many from my point of view.

Please feel free to nit pick about what numbers are what, I don't care. The number that means everything to me is FOUR, Four friends that are no longer here and Four family members that were extremely ill.

Stay safe, don't be selfish in your actions, don't spread it any further so I can keep those that I have left safe.

• Like 13
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, grendel said:

I disagree, by quoting the numbers, they are dehumanising the effects of this virus, they want people to think in terms of numbers, numbers mean that 300 deaths is a number, its good its less than yesterday, not another 300 human beings, individuals, fathers, mothers, children, uncles, friends or work colleagues, who will be missed by their family and loved ones, its not another 600 to 1000 people who are now missing an integral part of their life.

I don't disagree.

But how else do you convey the reality of this awful pandemic to the mass of people who are not directly involved or have loved ones, colleagues etc involved, but however still have a vital part to play by taking on the seriousness of the situation and following the rules.

Can you imagine what would be said if a 747 or A380 or more than one was falling from the skys in the UK every day, that is the magnitude of the tragedy that has befallen us.

Whatever you do, until it touches home, figures will be just figures and others grief will be others grief one can only hope that everyone takes on the responsibility to act for the better good of all.

Just eight weeks ago there was a section of society treeting it like a holiday and vowing not to stop partying! How the world has changed.

• Like 5

When this first came about I didn't worry about it.Thats not the case now.life is a balancing act, we are all surrounded by risks.We all wake up and really  dont know if we will see another day.We balance  the risks that we face many we can control some we can't.I have taken risks throughout my life.That is life.With this disease as far as I'm concerned I must reduce as far as I can those risks.This is a very nasty disease. I worry that people  my relax too much and a second  wave will come back and bite us.Chris has put it very clear,a 747 or a A380 falling from the sky every day.

I have only known one person who's had covad- 19.Thankly she recovered. We all want to go about our life as free as possible.We must keep the lid on this thing.If not it may well be two or three 747s or A380s.

• Like 5

My Mother In Laws Doctor passed away at the weekend. He was 84 years of age and still working till he got the virus.There was a big funeral procession today in Clacton for him and it was covered by Look East news.His Wife who is a Nurse also had it but she has since recovered thankfully.

Ivy (MIL) is 99 years young and in a nursing home now, We have decided not to tell her as she held him in such high regard and we don't want her upset. He had been Ivy's Doctor for the last 45 plus years and looked after her husband when he was dying. 

I'm pretty sure there isn't a person on here who doesn't know someone who is fighting this virus.

We are living in very strange times, I hope and pray that these times improve for all across the world.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, coolcat said:

I'm pretty sure there isn't a person on here who doesn't know someone who is fighting this virus.

Thankfully none of my family or friends are currently ill but it has certainly had an impact on all our lives. One thing is for certain, we shall never be able to make up for our lost time together.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Where I work we furloughed 7 at the end of april, one of them and his other half (works in a care home) was tested positive the day after (may 1st) and didn't bother to tell us till 12 days later, we were anything but happy! But after 12 days and no-one showing any symptoms it really wasn't worth shutting down to isolate as the few of us left would have shared it around anyway by then, I guess we must be distancing and washing everything down well enough although it's not always possible to do the full  2m.

I don't know if that particular guy will be making it back as the guvnor wasn't to chuffed either, fair play to the guvnor he did come out straight away and say anyone wanting to go home for the rest of the 14 day period would be on full pay.

I suppose if I had any sense I should keep my head down and not have the temerity to offer my own opinion (on a discussion forum) if it does not conform to the obvious "party line" of stay at home and save lives.

Of course I am worried about lives being lost in this crisis but I am also very worried about human life as we know it.  When this is over and we all climb back out of our fallout shelters we are going to find a different world out there.  Thousands will be out of work, businesses will no longer be in business and social life and communication will not be the same for many months to come, if ever.  I imagine a lot of people are already going "stir crazy" at home and the effect on mental health and well-being is going be enormous.  So we need the relaxation and distraction of a leisure activity even more than usual.  Boating on the Broads would seem to me one of least risky ways of doing this whilst sticking to all the rules and guidances that we all know about by now.

I am lucky in that my main leisure activity at the moment is railway modelling and I do that at home!  By the way, it is no use preaching to me about staying at home because I am at home and have been here ever since this started on 12th March.  I go out to the supermarket every 10 days and that is it.  We are no longer in lockdown here but there are still many restrictions. I am not to travel more than 100km from home except for a handful of specific reasons, and I don't qualify for any of those.  In all practicality I can't see us being able to cross the Channel to visit our families for another 6 months or more.  So there is no question of us taking a "furtive" little visit to the boat that we only bought at this time last year and have only holidayed on once!

She sits there though, on her paid up mooring with current river toll and insurance and my daughter is looking forward to taking her husband and young family out for days on the Broads as soon as possible.   She, of course, doesn't "stay at home and save lives".

She goes to work to save lives in an A&E hospital, so she knows exactly what this virus is about.  She is also the only one of the team she works with who has so far not caught it, recovered normally and returned to work.  So if she thinks there is no added risk to her and her family (or the general public) in taking a day out on the river, I am well prepared to believe her!

• Like 17
  • Love 1

Vaughan you make some very good points. Which ever way you look at it the world is in a very bad place at present. Causing long term damage, much of which hard to repair. Like many I want to return  to a better norm.I dont want to say what reporters have called the new normal.We all have made sacrifices ,we must treat this disease with respect, if not it will carry on killing many.My feeling  is we're almost there,but now is not the time to be complacent.We need a long slow return  to a safer world. 

• Like 7

It turns out that I might have had it. Daughter Number Four is a clinical pharmacist in a local hospital, treating Corvid 19 victims. Just before the lockdown her two little boys had terrible coughs and phlegm and as small children do were coughing in everyone's faces, inevitably we were all pretty soon coughing along with the best of them. Lynn, my wife, also had a course of antibiotics for a chest infection. Talking to friends they too had had serious coughs at about the same time, but not much else. Daughter's husband works in London but we think that whatever we caught had come via either school or creche, e.g. the children. Now it appears that there are a number of strains of this virus and that children generally have it fairly mildly and perhaps we did too. My daughter is seeing the virus daily, is up to-date on all the latest information, and just the other day says' 'do you know, dad, I think that we may all have had it. Of her immediate team in the hospital she is the only one that seemingly has not had it, but maybe she has, maybe she's developed antibodies. Now there are newspaper headlines this morning suggesting that many millions of us have had it, often unknowingly. Roll on this new antibody test! At this moment in time none of us know for certain but it does make me wonder. It would be good to know.

Anyway, did see one small cruiser cross Oulton Broad yesterday which is heartening and to be welcomed. My wife and I, like many others, are keeping our heads down, not entirely confident in Boris's upbeat drum beating, but when it comes to boating we share Vaughan's view that a dayboat trip out on the water is pretty safe. Of course there is a fear that someone from outside will bring a more virulent strain of the virus into our community so I will say that if you know you have got it then please don't come to the Broads. The Broads is a cure for the soul, but not for Corvid 19. Like many other locals I do rather fear an uncontrolled influx of visitors.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I suppose if I had any sense I should keep my head down and not have the temerity to offer my own opinion (on a discussion forum) if it does not conform to the obvious "party line" of stay at home and save lives.

Of course I am worried about lives being lost in this crisis but I am also very worried about human life as we know it.  When this is over and we all climb back out of our fallout shelters we are going to find a different world out there.  Thousands will be out of work, businesses will no longer be in business and social life and communication will not be the same for many months to come, if ever.  I imagine a lot of people are already going "stir crazy" at home and the effect on mental health and well-being is going be enormous.  So we need the relaxation and distraction of a leisure activity even more than usual.  Boating on the Broads would seem to me one of least risky ways of doing this whilst sticking to all the rules and guidances that we all know about by now.

I am lucky in that my main leisure activity at the moment is railway modelling and I do that at home!  By the way, it is no use preaching to me about staying at home because I am at home and have been here ever since this started on 12th March.  I go out to the supermarket every 10 days and that is it.  We are no longer in lockdown here but there are still many restrictions. I am not to travel more than 100km from home except for a handful of specific reasons, and I don't qualify for any of those.  In all practicality I can't see us being able to cross the Channel to visit our families for another 6 months or more.  So there is no question of us taking a "furtive" little visit to the boat that we only bought at this time last year and have only holidayed on once!

She sits there though, on her paid up mooring with current river toll and insurance and my daughter is looking forward to taking her husband and young family out for days on the Broads as soon as possible.   She, of course, doesn't "stay at home and save lives".

She goes to work to save lives in an A&E hospital, so she knows exactly what this virus is about.  She is also the only one of the team she works with who has so far not caught it, recovered normally and returned to work.  So if she thinks there is no added risk to her and her family (or the general public) in taking a day out on the river, I am well prepared to believe her!

Excellent Post. Thank you Vaughan.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Hylander said:

My son who is a keen fisherman said

for fishing at night solely participating with the sport it ok to night fish.

we had the ok from the Angling Trust yesterday eve.

you can go camping at mo,

Edited to say - he fishes on lakes.

Just seen this .

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for an hour

Give a man a fishing rod and he’ll spend hundreds more on kit he’ll only use once"

:default_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Anyway, did see one small cruiser cross Oulton Broad yesterday which is heartening and to be welcomed.

Also managed to get out on the river briefly.

Good to be allowed to as the pessimist in me thinks that the second wave may lock us backdown even harder,  even though most of us are agreeing that boating is almost perfect for isolating.

Did notice the BA workboats back out on the 24hr moorings ready to resume dredging ops in NorthBay OB.  Might spoil the view again !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Apparently we can't visit our parent's homes - but estate agents can buy and sell houses.

So we've put our house on the market and mum and dad have booked a viewing for 5.00 PM  :default_biggrin:

Hope you don't expect to see your parents as they aren't permitted to be inside during viewings ;) ;) 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Poppy said:

Apparently we can't visit our parent's homes - but estate agents can buy and sell houses.

So we've put our house on the market and mum and dad have booked a viewing for 5.00 PM  :default_biggrin:

In that case as I understand it you will be outside whilst they and the agent will be inside, hope it is isn`t raining at 5pm :default_badday:

31 minutes ago, RealWindmill said:

Did notice the BA workboats back out on the 24hr moorings ready to resume dredging ops in NorthBay OB.  Might spoil the view again !

They were dredging 'Day's Corner' this afternoon. Also a ranger tucked up in the reeds for a while. A few sailing boats out too.

• Like 1

I have had an e-mail letter today from Simpsons Boatyard in Stalham to say that they are offering all their usual services including pump-outs and diesel. I believe their repair and maintenance sheds have remained open throughout.

Presumably one can now also moor on the recently re-built Stalham staithe?

13 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I have had an e-mail letter today from Simpsons Boatyard in Stalham to say that they are offering all their usual services including pump-outs and diesel. I believe their repair and maintenance sheds have remained open throughout.

Presumably one can now also moor on the recently re-built Stalham staithe?

Providing it's side on only, social distancing and all that!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Poppy said:

image.png.95744762bba6eb9f26ce031faced906b.png

Not our Green Bin Poppy the service was withdrawn about three to four years ago by our council, you can of course pay for the service, but they only collect 8 months of the year. Needless to say I declined so I have two green bins that I use just to rot down the grass cuttings. You are correct with regards to the black, brown and blue bins.