Boris Says We Can Go Boating!! - (Not sure he did we must wait clarification (edited by Maxwellian)

JennyMorgan

There were aspects of the message which were ambiguous, not least the wording (or lack if it) around travel. The park bench thing is plain loopy in my mind because inevitably if you sit on a bench you'll touch it and hence risk transferring the virus. The same goes for sending people to work - yes you can stay 2 metres apart whilst you're working but how do you avoid touching surfaces in the toilets or drinks area? I'm glad I live in Wales where "Stay at home" remains and the rules have been changed less.

• Like 3

All I will say is that we are still currently treating 90 covid-19 patients in our hospital and 30 waiting for results, 25 of these in intensive care - that doesn’t include any other patients that need urgent and emergency treatment who also need expert care or others that have had their cancer surgery delayed.

if you want to talk semantics and interpret the latest information to suit your own goals that is your choice - but if you all suddenly go out, for whatever reason, you will potentially put an extra stain on the NHS and those that are trying to combat this disease. This is not over, it has not eased and people are still being infected daily .

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

• Like 8
  • Thanks 11
  • Love 1

I posted earlier, will say again I was taken to hospital  this morning. I had numbness in my right hand and face. Thankfully all tests I had proved fine.Its very clear life has changed. Fewer people  in A&E checked before allowed in.For me the first time I've left  home in six weeks.I hope there more detailed information tomorrow. I worry if there isn't more clarity. People, some acting like sheep will just do what they want,with no regard for the circumstances. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Trains, Buses, bikes, walking.....What about lifts?? You can't use the stairs if you are 20 or 30 floors up. If you are going to obey the 2 metre rule by the time everyone has got to their desk it will be time to leave. 

• Like 2

Il probably get a lot of hate for this but... Its about common sense. Mitigation. Doing what's best for others but with a caveat, this isn't going away, there isn't going to be a vaccine this year. Yes protect the NHS, Yes slow the spread but be under no delusion that it's going away. You still need to have some quality of life, and if you're local to your boat, go down to it, enjoy yourself while you can, you might catch it next year. Let us not forget that the economic disaster and mental health crisis that is currently happening will cost lives, so if you can order some new Nav lights and go down to the boat and fix them on, then crack on. If it's doing a little for the economy and a little for your mental health then I can't see any issue.

And maybe most importantly, when you see the death figures, Google some other statistics. Odds of heart disease, cancer etc and the population of the UK. There's plenty of better things to be terrified of. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I sincerely hope nobody lets the hot air generated on this forum influence the way they behave towards the lockdown. There is no ambiguity, yet. The man said he would give more details tomorrow. People obviously have chosen to ignore that bit in favour of argument. I'm only guessing but I would think that was because he didn't want to be on the telly until the epilogue! :default_coat:

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

some acting like sheep will just do what they want,with no regard for the circumstances

A strange analogy as normally we refer to sheep as those who follow blindly and unquestioningly, far different to those who wish to push interpretation of the revised regulations. I do agree that once again we have a statement from government mired in ambiguity and uncertainty. One thing is clear however, that the message has changed from "stay home" to "stay alert". I was interested to see Boris's "DefCon" style alert level indicator, and even more so to see that level one indicates that Corona Virus is no longer present in this country. I doubt to see that in my lifetime. The total eradication of Corona Virus will take many, many years. Hopefully well before that medical science will have provided some kind of vaccine or treatment that can limit it's impact on our population but no vaccine works for everyone, and no treatment is 100% successful. People will be dying from the effects of Corona Virus for many years to come, and we cannot hide inside our homes for ever. 

It was very clear that the assumption of Government now is that if you cannot work from home then you should be working in your normal place of employment and that the onus for ensuring this is done safely has been placed at the door of industry and commerce. I wonder how long before Government ends furlough, no more than another week or two at most would be my guess, we simply can't afford it. The fact that garden centers have been told they may reopen later this week as long as they can maintain social distancing is an indication that government were going to change the lock down definitions today as nothing sold at a garden center could be classed as essential.

Many people seem to be treating this situation as black and white, we stay home until it is safe to go outside again. If only it were that simple, it is about managing the risks as effectively as possible whilst getting the country moving again, something which is already happening across Europe.

• Like 5

• Maxwellian changed the title to Borris Says We Can Go Boating!! - (nice joke not sure he did edited by Maxwellian)
12 minutes ago, Paul said:

I wonder how long before Government ends furlough, no more than another week or two at most would be my guess,

It has been extended until the end of June, i doubt that it will be extended beyond that except possibly for the hospitality industry.

• Like 1

Borris Says We Can Go Boating!! - (nice joke not sure he did edited by Maxwellian)

Maxwellian, perhaps you will be good enough to re-edit the title. No joke, I am referring to the news as reported and broadcast by the BBC, that includes a  statement made by Boris himself this evening. Quite clearly we can go boating provided it is ONLY with family members and that social distancing is maintained. No ifs, no buts, we can go boating, I suspect with the proviso that we meet travel restrictions etc.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

It has been extended until the end of June, i doubt that it will be extended beyond that except possibly for the hospitality industry.

I know it was extended until the end of June, but the Chancellor also said last Thursday that he would be meeting with unions and employers to start scaling it down as of this week. I didn't hear anything today to change that. 

I suspect it will be reduced by encouragement rather than being withdrawn. Very few businesses will want to shut for longer than necessary. Employees will be 'instructed' to return to work as soon as measures are in place.

The take up of the scheme was known before the extension was announced. It has been used more than they anticipated. 

The self employed scheme is confirmed as 3 months.

The government will want to ease business back to work without triggering mass redundancies, otherwise all the money spent so far will be wasted.

30 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Borris Says We Can Go Boating!! - (nice joke not sure he did edited by Maxwellian)

Maxwellian, perhaps you will be good enough to re-edit the title. No joke, I am referring to the news as reported and broadcast by the BBC, that includes a  statement made by Boris himself this evening. Quite clearly we can go boating provided it is ONLY with family members and that social distancing is maintained. No ifs, no buts, we can go boating, I suspect with the proviso that we meet travel restrictions etc.

JM you couldn't be more wrong. There was nothing whatsoever in the message tonight that communicated that, not even the "sports activities" part. 

Despite the rather misleading title and amended title there was absolutely no mention of boating in the speech by Boris tonight. British Marine sought and had clarified that marinas are to be treated in exactly the same way as caravan parks and are to be closed for all leisure users. Again there was nothing in tonight's speech about caravan parks being allowed to reopen. Therefore which ever way you want to bend or interpret tonight's news the simple fact is that if your boat is in a marina, the marina should be closed and therefore boating has not been allowed.

If your boat is at the bottom of the garden, or on a non marina mooring then visiting it should now be possible.

It will be interesting to see what the expanded text tomorrow reveals and whether that changes the guidance being issued by British Marine to its members. I think largely it will revolve around marina staff being allowed to safely return to work, but not necessarily leisure boaters being allowed to return.

• Like 5

• Maxwellian changed the title to Borris Says We Can Go Boating!! - (Not sure he did we must wait clarification (edited by Maxwellian)

I think going to your boat for maintenance will become allowed, but I am also sure that travel restrictions will then be the issue, using the boat however if it doesnt involve exercise will be a different matter, so a day out sailing, pulling on ropes may be considered exercise as would rowing or paddling, but i cant see anyone being allowed to travel any distance - ie you can take your kayak to your local river or lake, but i cant see them accepting driving past several other places to a remote location. i look forward to clarification of what constitutes allowed travel, i see above that there and home in the same day mentioned, this would allow a quick safety check on a boat.

all of my above though is just my musings on the topic, I would wish for clearer examples from the government, otherwise we will get the same chaotic interpretation by the police as to what is acceptable as we had at the start of lockdown, with some areas being too lax and others over zealous.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, grendel said:

all of my above though is just my musings on the topic, I would wish for clearer examples from the government, otherwise we will get the same chaotic interpretation by the police as to what is acceptable as we had at the start of lockdown, with some areas being too lax and others over zealous.

I think that is a wise approach. Another few days while we wait for clarity, won't hurt.

Personally I think Boris's speech was a bit of a "damp squib" especially as most of it had already been leaked several days ago. Don't forget we still have a parliament (even if in name only) and I am not sure they have approved this yet.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

The original BBC report clearly stated the following:

'The BBC understands that the changes in the guidelines will mean two friends would be able to sit more than two metres apart in a park, and also that sports like golf, tennis, fishing and outdoor watersports will now be possible for people in the same household.'

I note that that has now been modified to exclude watersports, what's going on, who is behind that edit, who alerted the BBC to that one? 

From the BBC this morning:

And Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden says sports like golf, basketball, tennis and fishing will now be possible for people in the same household.

Someone been on the phone?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1