Boris Says We Can Go Boating!! - (Not sure he did we must wait clarification (edited by Maxwellian)

JennyMorgan

23 minutes ago, RumPunch said:

So, my sailing dinghy and canoe ( both at home ) could be tolled and used as of Wed ?

According to last night's BBC statement then yes, quite clearly you could.

Since then that statement has been modified, now it's only a maybe! Confusion reigns. 

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

The original BBC report clearly stated the following:

'The BBC understands that the changes in the guidelines will mean two friends would be able to sit more than two metres apart in a park, and also that sports like golf, tennis, fishing and outdoor watersports will now be possible for people in the same household.'

I note that that has now been modified to exclude watersports, what's going on, who is behind that edit, who alerted the BBC to that one? 

From the BBC this morning:

And Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden says sports like golf, basketball, tennis and fishing will now be possible for people in the same household.

Someone been on the phone?

I think over zealous reporting by the BBC. I've listened to the speech again and there was nothing in there about boating or watersports. Clearly some forms of boating can be considered exercise such as rowing, canoeing or sailing, but it wasn't specifically mentioned so the BBC have used interpretation. As it stands currently marinas are treated like caravan parks and there have been no announcements on them being allowed to reopen.

There was also no announcements about garden centres being allowed to reopen on Wednesday, yet that has been widely reported over the weekend.

Both the BBC and the Daily Mail have interpreted that the easing will allow two people from separate households to meet in public socially distanced by 2m. Again I didn't hear that in the speech. What I did hear was that you would be able to sit in a park or sunbathe, so again some interpretation going on by the reporters. Clearly if two people arrange to sit in the same park at the same time from different households and they sit 2m apart there shouldn't be a problem? but what about if three people were to sit in a triangle formation 2m apart? or four people were to meet and sit in a square formation 2m apart. All just interpretation because what I did hear was reference to being able to play sports with members of the same household.

As always the devil will be in the detail and the 50 page document carrying more detail that is to be published later today may clarify some of those points, including boating, but until then I think nothing has changed for anyone with a boat in a marina. It "may" have for those with small portable craft, or where their boat is on a non marina mooring. Again I heard nothing about second homes, so one must assume that even if you did take your boat out, you would be expected to be back in your primary residence over night. Again the press have speculated the travelling further to visit beaches to mean a return the same day.

However one thing I'm sure of is that the 50 page document will not carry all the answers and there will be many including some on here that will interpret the document to suit their own interests. One thing that was mentioned was an increase in the fines if people break the lockdown, yet I didn't hear anything about an actual amount mentioned.

One thing we can be clear on is that the stay at home message has been dropped, at least in England.

If you look at the speech carefully and consider what has really been said, it would appear they have re emphasised that where possible if you cannot work from home you should go to work. That was always the case anyway. You can now exercise more than once per day, that previously was virtually un-enforceable anyway. I don't think anyone was stopped whilst exercising to see if it was their second or third time that day, and lastly you can now sit in a park or sunbathe, which as the last weekend was proving the sheer numbers breaking the rule was turning it into a Police headache to enforce anyway and as most people were saying if the 2m social distancing is enforced then what's the harm anyway

• Like 3

8 hours ago, riverman said:

Il probably get a lot of hate for this but... Its about common sense. Mitigation. Doing what's best for others but with a caveat, this isn't going away, there isn't going to be a vaccine this year. Yes protect the NHS, Yes slow the spread but be under no delusion that it's going away. You still need to have some quality of life, and if you're local to your boat, go down to it, enjoy yourself while you can, you might catch it next year. Let us not forget that the economic disaster and mental health crisis that is currently happening will cost lives, so if you can order some new Nav lights and go down to the boat and fix them on, then crack on. If it's doing a little for the economy and a little for your mental health then I can't see any issue.

And maybe most importantly, when you see the death figures, Google some other statistics. Odds of heart disease, cancer etc and the population of the UK. There's plenty of better things to be terrified of. 

My thoughts exactly.  If we’re waiting for a cure, it could take many years.  Let’s face it, we still don’t have a cure for the common cold.  We now face the biggest recession for hundreds of years, a huge number of people becoming unemployed as businesses go to the wall, higher taxation and a very different way of life to what we are used to.

I’ve read many comments stating that our beloved Broads will still be there next month/year etc. but the Broads as we know the may not.  Pubs, restaurants and hire yards may not recover from long term closure.  There are methods available to sanitise homes and offices, which could be adapted to be used on hire fleets.  There is obviously a cost, but that is surely preferable to the alternatives.

The sooner we accept our situation and get on with a new ‘normal’ the better.  We take risks every day, walking, driving and even at work.  We do our best to mitigate these by exercising caution and modifying our behaviour appropriately.  Hiding behind a closed door is not going to help us get out of this situation, unless you belong to one of the categories that must isolate until the end of June.

None of us know when the grim reaper will visit.  Personally, I would rather live my life whilst I’m here to enjoy it, obviously exercising some caution with regard to social distancing, than live like a hermit until someone finds a cure for this awful disease.  Businesses need to adapt, workplaces made as safe as practicable and where possible, working from home should be encouraged in the long term.

I have no doubt that once a vaccine has been developed, the virus will mutate and be back, even more virulent than this time.  As a species, perhaps we need to be less blasé about our presence on this planet, take more notice of the World around us and be more thankful for what we have, when we have it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I think over zealous reporting by the BBC.

Misquoting, maybe, but the culture secretary was clearly quoted as including watersports. I have to say that I think that that quote was probably accurate, at the time,  but was subsequently modified when it was pointed out that it would create policing problems on our various inland waterways where messing around in a boat does not necessarily constitute as being a watersport.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Last night was just a roadmap there wasnt enough time for detail,  later today the full information will be published so lets just wait for a few  hours and get  the right information from the horses mouth rather than guessing on someone elses interpretation.

Fred

yes, there are too many already jumping on the bandwagon of one person or organisations interpretation, lets face it, the hire yards wont be opening this week for sure unless there is a clear indication from the government and from the Broads Authority that this will be allowed.

• Like 2

There needs to be clear instructions of the way forward.Last night there wasn't. You can see here people are drawing there own conclusions. Most people on the forum in the main are well balanced. What has been said I fear we be intemperated to suit themselves .Yes we do need to re start the economy, leisure and live our life as normal as possible 

I think as far as I'm concerned the Government have done a good job.Not sure what was said last was far from clear.To say those that can't work from home can return to work tomorrow. If possible dont use public  transport! That's almost impossible in London. I  am worried that the real effort most of us have done for weeks may be cast aside,if we just dont take care.It is a fine balance between health and economy. I had hoped we would  have learnt from countries that are in front of us,and how they are coping. 

• Like 3

I saw one person on facebook saying this allowed them to travel anywhere they wanted, the next comment put them in their place by saying they had to return home the same day.

people are just interpreting this whichever way gives them the ability to do what they want. 

people need to remember that travel is still essential travel only.

I would have been on Jayne tomorrow, its been postponed to the last week in July and I am still net certain that will happen yet.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, grendel said:

unless there is a clear indication from the government and from the Broads Authority that this will be allowed.

I think, for clarity, we might leave the BA out of this equation. The Broads are not closed any more than the roads of Norfolk are closed. The conditions under which we might use the Broads - and the roads - are now up to central government.

But those conditions are clearly, not clear! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I think, for clarity, we might leave the BA out of this equation. The Broads are not closed any more than the roads of Norfolk are closed. The conditions under which we might use the Broads - and the roads - are now up to central government.

But those conditions are clearly, not clear! 

Entirely true.

My feeling is that the clue could be in the term 'watersport' and primarily in 'sport'.  Very clearly angling is now permitted, provided social distancing is maintained. I see no reason why that should not apply to boating as in watersports. We can only hope!

14 minutes ago, grendel said:

people need to remember that travel is still essential travel only.

But, the prime minister has said that from Wednesday you can sit in the park, you can drive to other destinations, this was all in relation to exercise multiple times per day or sitting in parks and beaches. The stay at home for all but essential travel message has been replaced. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Very clearly angling is now permitted,

There are many who would not consider angling as being exercise or sport! :default_norty:

30 minutes ago, Hylander said:

We would have been going on Reflection from Richardsons tomorrow and looking at the weather that has now gone like winter , just as well we are not.

I think we would have been crossing Breydon today, could have been a bit choppy. 

29 minutes ago, grendel said:

they had to return home the same day.

I have heard this said a few times but not sure where the instruction came from, I’ve not heard it from a minister’s lips. Another interpretation or is it fact?

• Like 2

To put all the above speculation, on this thread, including my own into perspective here is what the prime minister actually said about exercise,

"And from this Wednesday, we want to encourage people to take more and even unlimited amounts of outdoor exercise.

You can sit in the sun in your local park, you can drive to other destinations, you can even play sports but only with members of your own household.

You must obey the rules on social distancing and to enforce those rules we will increase the fines for the small minority who break them."

At the moment all the rest is speculation on our part and that of the media. Not helped by interviews given by ministers such as Dominic Raab since that speech in which he has attempted to answer questions presumably with the knowledge of what is in the 50 page detailed document.

The full text of the prime ministers speech can be found on the link below if you don't want to watch the video again.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/pm-address-to-the-nation-on-coronavirus-10-may-2020

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is clear, its not clear. Marina has just got a text from her boss.As far as he and Marina is concerned. Nothing  has changed, she and others will get at least 48 hours notice before  returning  to work.For us in London the biggest concern  is transport. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

.For us in London the biggest concern  is transport. 

Perhaps a bit off topic but I couldn't help noticing that we are now encouraged to go back to work but not in public transport.

This makes the city council's long term and very expensive vision to close Norwich to all but cyclists, look rather foolish in that the only really safe way for us to travel now, is in our own private car!

• Like 1