What Have You Learnt From Lockdown

PS. I can't claim any praise for the photographs, I took these off the internet. Judith took loads of photographs but I am unable to find them at present. I need to check on a couple of old laptops. I have a feeling there is a programme (Panasonic) called "Photo fun Studio" with a lot of photographs she took between 2006 and about 2015 that did not come over when we went to Windows 10. 

On 17/05/2020 at 14:11, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Have a feeling you aren`t alone there however I wonder what boat prices will do.

There seem to be a fair few boats now showing as sold or sale agreed on the NYA website, but I guess we won’t know how bad things will get yet until there is a final bill and taxes are hit to pay it off.

• Like 1

other things I have learnt, my wife is incapable of closing drawers and cupboards, I have suggested that we have time to conduct some training but frankly she doesn't seem interested.

How the perennially stupid seem immune to the disease

Bicycles now seem to be able to go where they choose

And how much I like the sound of motorcycles on a summers evening

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No matter how blue the sky, how warm the sun and how sweet the birdsong there is always some kn*b within earshot ready to shatter the peace of the day with a chainsaw/stone cutter/cement mixer/angle grinder/shredder/planer/ whacker/loud lawnmower/drum kit/ pair of badly trained barking dogs.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

We have a trip helicopter flying tourists, during summer weekends it flies over our house twice every half hour, drives me mad, on a still day I spell out p*ss off in newspaper on the lawn in large letters.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, SteveO said:

No matter how blue the sky, how warm the sun and how sweet the birdsong there is always some kn*b within earshot ready to shatter the peace of the day with a chainsaw/stone cutter/cement mixer/angle grinder/shredder/planer/ whacker/loud lawnmower/drum kit/ pair of badly trained barking dogs.  

Guilty as charged!

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, SteveO said:

4 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Guilty as charged!

In fact I'm sat here wondering if quarter past eight on a Sunday morning is too early to drag the table saw out and get on with some work! :default_norty:

• Haha 3

of course not Tim, I think technically you are allowed to start at 8am for things like jackhammers on building sites but not on sundays (for building sites) I generally deem 8am acceptable, as i will normally have been awake several hours by then, especially when the neighbours have been up past midnight with a barbecue / fire chatting noisily. (actually in those circumstances i sometimes consider 5am acceptable

• Haha 1

One thing i have learned is that despite no contact, with a little constructive thought and technology, group activities can continue. i am still regularly managing to do yoga, in fact my next session is in just over an hour.

Despite what you are told when you ask to work from home, it is quite possible, and makes life outside work easier, by allowing more time to get things done.

• Like 1

Well I have just completed my second full week back at work.  So far I have been fortunate as only for two days was I in an occupied house, and they were very good at being anti social leaving me to get on with it on my todd.  However the building sites / commercials were a joke.  Very little social distancing at all.  We all tried to give each other a wide berth but it's just about impossible.  I have no further sites / commercials booked in short term so that is a relief.  From now on in it's all domestics and experience shows that home owners know how to social distance and it is do-able.  It has to be otherwise they would not be enjoying my services.   As a result I have started monitoring myself even more closely for any symptoms.  So far so good

Griff

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

As a result I have started monitoring myself even more closely for any symptoms.  So far so good

Griff

WE had a lady at work a few years ago who suggested when anyone felt ill they could work from home, her exact words were we had to use our judgement and "probe ourselves".....  As you can imagine whenever some said they were not feeling very well or had a cold coming they were instructed to go and probe themselves!  She regretted that until the day she left to have a family.

I've learned that I'd like to go back to work in the office or visiting customers as there's no kitchen with lots of easily available snacks!  

I've also learned that it's not easy to home school a 6 year old, and my wife is a teaching assistant !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grendel said:

i am still regularly managing to do yoga, in fact my next session is in just over an hour.

I'm partial to Yoga myself...my favourite is Múller Light(Strawberry)  :default_coat:

1 hour ago, grendel said:

of course not Tim, I think technically you are allowed to start at 8am for things like jackhammers on building sites but not on sundays (for building sites) I generally deem 8am acceptable, as i will normally have been awake several hours by then, especially when the neighbours have been up past midnight with a barbecue / fire chatting noisily. (actually in those circumstances i sometimes consider 5am acceptable

The dog barking started at 6.30 this morning and the owner, our next door neighbour, has been whacking in nails all morning like his life depended on it.  We usually miss this cr*p because we spend so much time on the boat for 9 months of the year in normal times. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jemaki said:

I'm partial to Yoga myself...my favourite is Múller Light(Strawberry)  :default_coat:

Actually it keeps me fit, (a good looking instructor is also a bonus and keeps me motivated) plus its hilarious when a bee flies in and sits on the end of her Yoga mat

I have learnt that the Muppets that we encounter be it on the media or around us have locally have no idea what is going on. There are some where their lives have not changed  at all, they are oblivious to the lost loved ones that have died during these trying times.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 03/06/2020 at 07:19, ranworthbreeze said:

I have learnt that the Muppets that we encounter be it on the media or around us have locally have no idea what is going on. There are some where their lives have not changed  at all, they are oblivious to the lost loved ones that have died during these trying times.

That's humanity for you. People die every day and if you were to feel sorry for every death for how unfortunate it was, you would be mourning for the rest of your life. I lost my sister in law last year to cancer and had many a bad nights sleep, so how many outside my family and on social media would be the same?