Waste Petrol

Polly

We have some of this stuff hanging about and recently a bit spilled out and stank.

Sez I to him indoors ‘If we fill a tray with compost we can pour some in and gradually let it all evaporate’

It stinks and this is day 2😖

Any suggestions for avoiding the stink? 

fill a tin full of sand (catering baked bean size) pour in petrol stand back to avoid singed eyebrows or worse, ignite sand, go get sausages and burgers and cook them in a frying pan over the fire. the sand keeps the petrol from wicking out too quickly so controls the burn, these types of cookers are called benghazi's and were used by the troops in the desert during the war (where trees and wood were scarce, but sand and petrol plentiful)

Old petrol usually goes through my bike mixed with plenty of fresh, it has had 2 stroke mix through it with no probs as well as avgas, mind you it's 20 year old with no catalytic converter and will run on most things.

I tend to run my chainsaw on aspen these days, it's 4 times the price but a 5 litre tub lasts 5 years and it always starts and runs fine where with a regular 2 stroke mix it was always a nightmare when the old fuel had gone off and far more dangerous when cutting out and spluttering all the time, an opened tub of aspen will still be good after 5 years but unleaded forget it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jemaki said:

I've seen it done in a car paint shop. The free standing stove was a bit poor so someone tried to liven it up with some cellulose thinners from the waste pot. As he stood back to admire the flames shooting up to the factory roof he failed to notice the pot on fire in his hand. He somehow managed to put the pot down without tipping it over on the sloping floor or the whole place would have gone up. :facepalm:

Good - another Aspen convert!!!!! Aspen is harder to get hold off but now Stihl are in the market thats hardly surprising.  I even use the 4 stroke version for the lawnmower - they run much nicer - but should do! Modern petrol and lawnmowers can prove a  nightmare.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

What is Aspen exactly folks?

it's a type of petrol which is much purer (and more expensive) than the stuff sold for cars. It is produced without all the "dirty" hydrocarbons and is ethanol free which means the spirit is less volatile and doesn't degrade through evaporation like regular petrol. 

We have a large garden machinery shop in the village which sells it, around a fiver a litre or £20 for 5l. 

I've used it in my lawnmowers but find no real advantage. If i'm being really attentive they might run slightly smoother but it's hardly noticeable and as they are used weekly at least then there is no chance of unleaded degrading and they are drained down at the end of the season and winterized. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Paul said:

I've used it in my lawnmowers but find no real advantage. If i'm being really attentive they might run slightly smoother but it's hardly noticeable and as they are used weekly at least then there is no chance of unleaded degrading and they are drained down at the end of the season and winterized. 

In that situation I would just use regular petrol, the advantage to me is because I'm a lazy git and just put it down and leave it when I'm done then curse the next time when it's all gummed up.

• Like 1

Its best when you use the  2 stroke fuel - you don't have to mix it ,it burns without the blue haze and keeps for 5 years ready mixed. 

A lot of the professionals use it - they come  in a buy the big packs in large numbers. Originally it was sold as Aspen, but now Stihl have caught on and are undercutting it - what a surprise.

I run an outboard motor built in the late stone age. It runs perfectly on "dead" petrol. The problem is that as engines get "improved" they become more finnicky. Give me a good solid old lump of an engine any day.

Personally I would mix that "dead" petrol at about 20 to 1 with good stuff and use it in the engine. Why waste it? 

2 hours ago, Polly said:

Is that not just for oil?  Doh! If that is right we could have done that any time!

yes engine oil only, not petrol or diesel, or even transmission fluid or diff oil. If they catch you putting anything else in they will get very miffed with you.