Safety Equipment

Close, it's actually BA R641

Not so much loosing it overboard as I reckon due to the lead weight in the bottom rung it would sink.  You have highlighted a fair point there, I've never checked to see if the whole lot would sink or float - I'll have to try it in some clear shallow water now.

I put the Morse lettering in the end of the rungs as an anti theft thing as I did with our deck mop after the first one got stolen and replaced with a knackered one

Griff

BA NBN 033.jpg

Somebody mentioned motorcycle folding foot rests earlier in this thread. That had me thinking.

A length of box section metal, bolted to the stern, vertically from gunwale to about 2' below water level, but hinged at just above water level allowing for 180 degree movement at a port/starboard orientation.

Folding foot rests acting as rungs folding at a bow stern orientation mounted on the box section at regular intervals.

Does any of that make sense? If I'm babbling rubbish, blame the rum, if I'm making sense and am proving myself to be a genius, blame the rum anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The best dive ladders are made that way MM. Having done a bit of diving in the past, that form of ladder is the easiest to climb in full scuba kit. You can climb out even with your fins on( not flippers, that a dolphin on tv). Now I know not many people are going to fall in wearing full scuba on the broads but soaking wet clothes are blooming heavy when you get past shoulder level climbing out.

If you have never had to climb back onto a boat soaking wet you will not believe how difficult it can be. It's worth asking at your local swimming pool (when they open again) if they will let you try. They usually have lifesaving classes or even a local scuba club night. We use to have training nights once a week at B'Stortford and additional bodies were welcome so as to practice rescue techniques.

Colin :default_drinks:

N.B. Please remember this is a very serious situation and once you start laughing you'll never get them out :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Somebody mentioned motorcycle folding foot rests earlier in this thread. That had me thinking.

A length of box section metal, bolted to the stern, vertically from gunwale to about 2' below water level, but hinged at just above water level allowing for 180 degree movement at a port/starboard orientation.

Folding foot rests acting as rungs folding at a bow stern orientation mounted on the box section at regular intervals.

Does any of that make sense? If I'm babbling rubbish, blame the rum, if I'm making sense and am proving myself to be a genius, blame the rum anyway. 

No, you are a genius. I had a similar thought: how about the box section being free with either of these alternating as steps either side - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Pair-Steel-Mountain-Bike-Foot-Pedal-Bicycle-Rear-Folding-Pedals-Accessories-SA/202316352176?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3Dfc17950955d64410ad8a3bbccafa5bb6%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D133409604489%26itm%3D202316352176%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2060778%26brand%3DUnbranded%2FGeneric&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Folding-Highway-Motorcycle-Clamp-On-Foot-Pegs-for-Yamaha-Honda-Harley-UK/264700590113?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

If it could also be light weight with a hook on the end it could be a boat hook too.

No rum assistance.:default_icon_idea::default_rolleyes:

7 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

That's a surprise, I can't seem to find a photo of the MOB ladder I made for onboard 'B.A', the photo's below were taken during the making process, can't seem to find one of the finished article.

I made these hardwood rungs, the bottom one has a lead insert underneath it.  Thick white rope with a knot and s/steel washer under each ruing.  Above the top rung the rope is is just looped over a cleat and then chucked overboard, it can be deployed in seconds and lives in a deck locker so is easy to get to.  It has been used in anger and works very well

Griff

BA NBN 145.JPG

BA NBN 796.JPG

Thanks Griff. This is the kind of use I had in mind with the cheapo plastic thing I bought. If tried to copy this, three rungs would probably be acceptable but the rest would look like they had been made by different five year olds. The knots would have different spacing so the rungs all be at different angles too. 

Tidy garage by the way. :default_dry:

Are there more steps to spell "Welcome aboard" reading from the bottom? :facepalm::default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

I know that it will need modifications such as mounting brackets however what about a telescopic ladder with added weigths in the bottom 2 rungs and a quick release knotted rope up top? :default_gbxhmm:

The telescopic surveyors ladders that I use weigh a ton, wouldn't need any extra weight. :default_biggrin:

They are also difficult to collapse from the top rather than the bottom as they use gravity to help.

2020-05-24 13.04.22.jpg

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

No, you are a genius. I had a similar thought: how about the box section being free with either of these alternating as steps either side

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Folding-Highway-Motorcycle-Clamp-On-Foot-Pegs-for-Yamaha-Honda-Harley-UK/264700590113?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

If it could also be light weight with a hook on the end it could be a boat hook too.

No rum assistance.:default_icon_idea::default_rolleyes:

Think I would prefer bolted or welded rather than clamped tbh, too easy for a peg to slide the centre pole.

5 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

The telescopic surveyors ladders that I use weigh a ton, wouldn't need any extra weight. :default_biggrin:

They are also difficult to collapse from the top rather than the bottom as they use gravity to help.

2020-05-24 13.04.22.jpg

That look like the pro version with wide rungs for comfort, sure there are cheaper & lighter versions for the diyer.

35 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Think I would prefer bolted or welded rather than clamped tbh, too easy for a peg to slide the centre pole.

I would too. They are nice looking and expensive pegs but there are cheaper but chunkier ones which fit with a bolt, probably heavier though.

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

That look like the pro version with wide rungs for comfort, sure there are cheaper & lighter versions for the diyer.

Still very difficult to collaspe. I have a light weight one but it is a nightmare to use as it binds. Add a bit of mud or silt and it would have to become disposable.

The old style 4 part slot togeter ones would be better but still have limitations.

• Love 1

38 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Still very difficult to collaspe. I have a light weight one but it is a nightmare to use as it binds. Add a bit of mud or silt and it would have to become disposable.

The old style 4 part slot togeter ones would be better but still have limitations.

I had one of those once, bright orange it was and each section was around 4 1/2ft long, but stupidly I gave it away. :default_dunce:

Someone somewhere said they use one of these for a mudweight. I like the idea of a practical solution combined with a bit of history and bought this yesterday. It's not clear but it does say 56lbs and I have tested it with a spring balance of similar vintage.

I guess it'll bring a nice sample of mud up in the dished top! And I promise to paint it...

Mudweight.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

That's a surprise, I can't seem to find a photo of the MOB ladder I made for onboard 'B.A', the photo's below were taken during the making process, can't seem to find one of the finished article.

I made these hardwood rungs, the bottom one has a lead insert underneath it.  Thick white rope with a knot and s/steel washer under each ruing.  Above the top rung the rope is is just looped over a cleat and then chucked overboard, it can be deployed in seconds and lives in a deck locker so is easy to get to.  It has been used in anger and works very well

Griff

Herewith photo's taken earlier today

Griff

BA NBN 872.jpg

BA NBN 873.jpg

BA NBN 874.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Regulo said:

Isn't MDF going to explode in water? Or at least get soggy?

Yep. Sorry Regulo, my silly sense of humour. It's a template; the left hand edge describes the profile of the side of the boat. Back on page 4 of this thread there's a pic showing the original wooden steps which should have come with the boat and I am trying to do something similar. As my woodworking skills are sadly light years behind quite a few people on this forum I should keep quiet about it but hey, a bit of humiliation never hurt anyone. The template is made up of bits because I keep adding sections to get the profile as close as possible to the shape of the boat to spread the load. 

• Like 1