Barton Turf Moorings

Hi everybody, we were out yesterday on the most beautiful day of the year along with huge numbers of other private boaters,we have truly never seen so many private craft,many of whom

we do'n't remember ever seeing before.Our bone of contention is not unusually with BA, Hoping to moor at Barton Turf we found that there was Orange plastic sheeting everywhere at the

back of the landing area all along the mooring,and brand new "NO MOORING" signs on what  is of course a BA 24hr Mooring site.There appeared to be no issues and no reason displayed

such as"Tree Felling" to Take placeor similar.Can somebody please explain what is going on there??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Confused 1

Work was being carried out at Paddy’s Lane (or did you mean at the staithe?) which had to be curtailed because of the pandemic. JP’s latest Broads Briefing states that these works will be finished shortly. No doubt Tom will be along sometime to confirm. 

39 minutes ago, Skipper4years said:

Hi everybody, we were out yesterday on the most beautiful day of the year along with huge numbers of other private boaters,we have truly never seen so many private craft,many of whom

we do'n't remember ever seeing before.Our bone of contention is not unusually with BA, Hoping to moor at Barton Turf we found that there was Orange plastic sheeting everywhere at the

back of the landing area all along the mooring,and brand new "NO MOORING" signs on what  is of course a BA 24hr Mooring site.There appeared to be no issues and no reason displayed

such as"Tree Felling" to Take placeor similar.Can somebody please explain what is going on there??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They certainly wouldn't be tree felling at this time.

Methinks I was out on a different river yesterday - I thought it was reasonably quiet!!! There was plenty of moorings around as far as I could see - plenty at How Hill (3 boats?) plenty of wild moorings up the Ant below Barton, plenty above Barton, no one through the Bridge at Wayford (except me! ) and on that basis I suspect room at Gays and Neatishead. Was the Staithe full??

You either want quality moorings or you want the Ba to ignore renewal? I don't think I often hear people moan about the quality of moorings - its usually availability thats the beef!!! And as I said, without Richardsons finest out, there was plenty of room to go elsewhere! I guess you could even have mudweighted - there were actually two others mudweightin if I recall so I am sure you could have squeezed in.

Incidentally I heard that Broadsedge are locking the gates at 16.30 - nice of them to impose their own unreasonable rules - enough to encourage berth holders to go elsewhere!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, marshman said:

Incidentally I heard that Broadsedge are locking the gates at 16.30 - nice of them to impose their own unreasonable rules - enough to encourage berth holders to go elsewhere!!

Or stay out overnight on one of those free wild Moorings down the river, locking the gates that early hardly gives a good days cruising and time to get back to your mooring.

18 hours ago, Skipper4years said:

Hi Skipper,

Just to confirm our Paddy’s Lane 24 hour moorings have had the timber completely refurbished with new tie rods and some anchor pile work. The contractors undertaking the work have been waiting for a supply of woodchip (approximately 120 cubic metres) to finish off the work and open up the mooring. Obtaining it during the lockdown has been problematic but the supply is now arranged. The mooring will be opened up as soon as the work is completed and signed off.

I am a little surprised to hear that there are no information signs there other than the NO MOORING, perhaps something as happened to them. I'll raise it with my colleagues.

Thanks,

Tom

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4