• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

Sign in to follow this  
Minigem

Laid Up Cars: Dashcams.

Unfortunately I left my car un started for quite a while and just looking after the battery with a battery charger. I just had a look at my dashcam and although it retained my car number and everything stored on the card the date and time was set back to 2013. Now, I am not a person to dob in the many Top Gear viewers who drive like total pr**s on our roads, as long they do not involve my car in their pathetic antics in cars that perhaps need some attention to their exhaust system and a lobotomy for the drivers, I just need some evidence should my car be involved in an accident. 

Just check that your dashcam if you have one that the date and time is correct. If used in court it may be thrown out as evidence as the information is incorrect. Just plug it in now and again to a mains phone charger thingy and charge the internal battery to keep the information fresh. 

Sorry about my opinion about some of the "drivers" but if they want to drive like idiots kindly take your piles of s**t to a race track and kill or maim yourselves there.  I would like to put a tin helmet emogi here but the website will not let me do it.

• Like 1

I have just purchased a dashcam  (nextbase 522gw) and one that links to it, that goes on the back window. I've also bought a kit for hard wiring it to the car, the idea being that it would negate the problem you had.

Depends where you get your power from. Make sure it's a permanent live, not an ignition controlled feed. Some people hard wire to the power sockets (as if using the original plug) not realising they're usually only live when the car is powered on.

Hi Ray, I'm playing Capt. Sensible on this, and getting it professionally fitted by Volvo (though they don't know it yet) and I am hoping to have the footage sent instantly and automatically to the cloud.

I don't know how much cloud space that will take up, but I want the thing running and filming 24/7 and ideally a 7day rolling memory. That should cover car park damage too.

I had hoped to get in touch with the London Rascal, but he seems to have disappeared. Pity, half the things I'm trying to find out about are right up his street!

If battery drain isn't too bad, I'd be interested in a similar set up on the boat, active in my absence.

As soon as all this lockdown business is relaxed a bit I can start doing things. (preferably before they reopen the pubs because I'll be busy after that!) 

27 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

getting it professionally fitted by Volvo

Blimey!! You won the lottery? :default_biggrin:

15 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Blimey!! You won the lottery? :default_biggrin:

Nah, things ain't goin my way lottery wise. This is the third week on the trot I didn't win the jackpot

John, my camera automatically starts if the car receives a bump, and sends the file to secure in camera storage where it wont get overwritten, its also set to come on when i start the car and record all of the time i am driving.

one thing to remember is with memory cards, they dont last forever in this use, granted they will overwrite the files, but the underlying file structure is stored on a partition of the card, and when that is full, it wont allow any more files to be written, I guess I have to replace them every couple of years, and thats on a daily 3 hours driving.

Absolutely marvellous gadgets.

When travelling home late one night, on an empty road a car full of people roared past me and pulled in front of me.

Traffic lights ahead were on green and as he reached them he slammed his brakes on and stopped dead in the middle of the road.

Fortunately, I was wary of his driving and stopped in good time.

When other traffic began to pile up behind us he started his car and they raced away.

Crash for Cash perhaps?

All captured on dash cam and downloaded to computer for future reference

With regards to memory cards I always use a high endurance which will last longer when constantly being wiped and reused

Just another thing to remember is that the GPS records speed, location and time so one has to be aware of speed limits  

Agree with you there Grendel. I've had to replace several cards in the last few years. So much so that I now unplug when the car's in the garage. Previously, I left the dashcams running 24/7, and found the cards were failing on a regular basis. It may be my (old) dashcam, but sometimes it won't read the card on power up, so I have to check each time and power off and on to get it running. Wouldn't be without one on the roads today.