One Year To Go Today

23 May 2021 I can get my state pension. Not sure what will happen in the next few weeks however. My company have started  a consultation process with us.As caterers much of our business has been badly affected .Where I was working,at our busiest we cooked for not far off 2,000 a day,that's dropped to less then 300.They have offered a package, working part time,job share, relocation ,possible  voluntary redundancy. I have yet to decide my way forward. Before this madness took hold,it was my plan to see out my time with them until I retired .

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

23 May 2021 I can get my state pension. Not sure what will happen in the next few weeks however. My company have started  a consultation process with us.As caterers much of our business has been badly affected .Where I was working,at our busiest we cooked for not far off 2,000 a day,that's dropped to less then 300.They have offered a package, working part time,job share, relocation ,possible  voluntary redundancy. I have yet to decide my way forward. Before this madness took hold,it was my plan to see out my time with them until I retired .

Hello Ian,

Dependant on your circumstances I would be inclined to bring your retirement forward and make your plans to move to Norfolk.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

Yes and no

As I've said here we are using this time to redecorate the house just Finnished Alans room.Next our room possibly starting next weekend.We are having our electrics being brought up to date next week.We are like many unsure  what the housing market is like.The value of our house was doing well,and together with our wish to down size,leaving  us with some money in the bank.We still intend to  move next spring ish.My  feeling is to get the best offer from my company  as possible. During this time we have done  lots of thinking for sure. 

• Like 4

As far as I can see the market it will be flat for the rest of this year. If life starts to return to more like normality after Christmas employment will rise and the housing market will pick up.

I don't see huge falls in house prices but would expect lower volumes of transactions. If prices fall by say 10%, the one you are buying will have fallen as well, this is tricky only if you are substantially downsizing. Selling at 500k and buying at 300k would be 20k less to have in your pocket compared to higher prices.

The market was bouncing back since December with a Brexit bounce, this stopped in early March but hadn't fully bounced back.

If longterm unemployment stays at 4 million or more this will kill the market until it gets nearer 2 million. I don't see this happening but is worth bearing in mind.

In all the recessions I have seen, this is different and should be short-lived because of the financial support early on.

One of my companies is substantially linked to the active market, it is mothballed at the moment but enquiries are picking up slowly.

I was aiming to retire in spring next year, I have moved it to 1st September this year now. 

I am not an estate agent but have enough contacts in the housing market to know the mood.

Best advice Ian, prepare your house for sale, put it on the market  after March next year and start looking for a new place. You could market it in September but could be delayed finding a new home before Christmas and be in a flat market.

Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

We are lucky in that crossrail, starts and ends at Abbey wood  about two miles away and this  increased the value  of the house 

It was always  our intention to start the process spring next year.

Good location, that will remain and always make the property easier to sell.

• Like 1

Based on nothing more concrete than my Walter Mitty type  thinking, I'd...

Complete renovations and put house on market ASAP.

If quick sale achieved, rent a place either where you are, or better still where you want to be. Start house hunting for bargains with cash in hand. Always a good bargaining chip. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

Ian,

Hang in there until they pay you to not to work for them!

You could always take voluntary and send Marina out to work more hours.

Don't tell her I said that.

Please.

paul

Hi Paul,

You are asking for trouble and yes Ian did tell me :default_wink:, but I might forgive you. Well wait till we meet at Cove (when ever that will be).

Stay safe to you both and see you at some point.

Regards

Marina :default_stinky:

8 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

Ian,

Hang in there until they pay you to not to work for them!

You could always take voluntary and send Marina out to work more hours.

Don't tell her I said that.

Please.

paul

Ouch I wouldn't like to be in that yard when she sees you.. Although hopefully she will have her hearing aid by then so will hear herself... but yeah good luck lol ;)

11 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

No comment, although let them kick you out is probably the best idea, you won't find anything else, sell the house and move.. Don't forget you will need a big enough yard for us to put a kid annex in the garden.  I'd move up there tomorrow (well we kinda was meant to be anyway).. Beccles by the river please... 

Alan, 

We want them to get one of those opposite the basin in Loddon, then we can keep an eye on them.

With a complimentary mooring space for visitors of course.

They will need to have a permanent table booked at the White Horse for guests, of which there would be a long list of names.

Marina, we really hope to see you both soon but we are aiming for 8th July but hoping for sooner.

paul

• Love 1

I recon recent events will have opened many eyes and attitudes towards the future and for myself Ian I would be seeing the whole situation as an opportunity for a better future ........better to cook just 3 meals a day rather than 2000 :default_eusa_dance:

Finny 

I think your right,when we come out of this.Many of us will

change.Something only time will tell.

I still get a buzz cooking for people, be that two or two thousand. Not so keen on much of the red tape that goes with it.

We have our second  Zoom meeting on Wednesday,  then one to one.What I find hard this dreadful disease has thrown a big spanner in the works.I wanted to go when I was ready .

My dessert a few days before my lay off.

20200311_181547.jpg

• Like 1

I've not been down to loddon for years now, but I think I know the ones, I'd prefer they get a place with land really, lots of land ;)

Don't forget pops that there's still pubs and restaurants (well there was) there, you never know maybe the odd saturday job somewhere just to keep you doing something. 

Chocolate  brownie cheesecake. 

My recipe for brownies sadly is at work.However I often use the BBC recipes,there're very good.I would make them the day before.Break into pieces and line the bottom of your glass or dish.

For the cheesecake 300 ml soft cream cheese,300ml double cream.This can be done by hand or electric mixer/blender. Mix slowly.Add the juice of three lemons and the zest.You can also use lemon curd. If the mixture  is too stiff, just add a little  more cream.Pipe into your glass or dish.break a few pieces  of brownies  on top.allow to set in the fridge  for a few hours,dust with chocolate  powder or grated plain chocolate. And serve.

Any problems with brownies let me know.

I will post more recipes and tips as I've said on my other post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For anyone with retirement looming in the next two or three years my advice would be have a really good look at your pension pot/s. 

Any statements or annuity quotations that pre-date this year or indeed Covid-19 are going to be pretty worthless. The markets have fallen back by roughly 20% this year so by taking an annuity now or pulling out a lump sum you are effectively locking-in to those losses.

In times past you had room to manoeuvre to avoid last minute shocks. I for instance transfered all my funds into cash holdings five years before I wished to retire but I was able to generate a return of 6 to 7%, with base due to Coronavirus standing at a record 0.01% that method of avoiding risk is not an option.

• Like 2