That anoying Tapping

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
I am sure this girl at the nail bar shop could sort you out.

[attachment=0]jenna(2).jpg[/attachment]

Jonathan :Stinky

Actually i went there for a long wait,and a wool saw!! :)

What about the skirting board ladder and spirit level bubbles, was she out of stock (or stockings :naughty::naughty: ).

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

progressed the engine today,we got all the rest of the parts off that will enable us to remove the head,(inlet/exhaust manifold ,cooling water tank ,turbo ect).Que vadis and i then removed one head,Thankfully :bow:bow:bow ,there has been no valve clash with the piston,however the valve gear and valves have been replaced/worked on by others,and the valves were not seated properly ,and there is damage to the exhaust valve stem,collet washer,and collets,so the heads is going to be refurbed with new valve seats valves /spring ect,

Also the engine is going to be converted to have one head gasket instead of 5 seperate ones(upgrade to gen2 engine spec).

pictures soon :dance:grin::wave:Stinky

Hi Trevor I think you will end up with a 3 and a 2 cylinder head gasket, Don't forget to have the end plates skimmed as well for the new gaskets. Also you need to have all heads skimmed the same + pressure tested.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Trev, what are the heads made from?. Usually, any alloy head SHOULD be skimmed as during the process of removal, they can warp by a very small amount, which usually results in blown head gaskets at a later date. Seeing as you`ve got the heads off, why not do the job once, and then it should be done for good. It does`nt take long to lap valves in, i`ve done enough of them in the past, so it would be a shame to re-build the engine only to wish you`d done it when you had the chance. Regards ................. Neil.

hi,

of coarse if i find a head that isn,t flat,i,ll have to have all 5 skimmed,there,s no point in skimming heads that are flat though,"Aluminum heads, on the other hand, should have no more than .002" (0.05mm) out-of-flat in any direction. If the clearance between the straight edge and surface exceeds the maximum limits, the head or block should be resurfaced".Industry standard .

cheers Trev

Just to recap Trev you need to have the end plates skimmed to the same thickness as the heads as they will now sit on the gasket. Also worth checking all head are the same thickness and have not been messed about with.

Just to recap Trev you need to have the end plates skimmed to the same thickness as the heads as they will now sit on the gasket. Also worth checking all head are the same thickness and have not been messed about with.

Thanks, plates are with a toolmaker friend at moment,4 heads are still on engine ,as i am only doing the job on one day per week ,and returning same day,waiting for a few parts/ and a gasket at mo :wave

Good afternoon petrol heads,this week i have completed stripping the rest of the heads off ,and all the other four heads are in good nick and don,t need machining,all heads have been checked for flatness and are fine ,also all heads have been measured for height and the greatest difference is 0.2mm well within tolerance ,so all heads can be used .Needed now is two new valves for the "bad" head on order.The other heads have been leak tested with petrol and all valves are tight.

Also today have cleaned out intercooler ,this was necessary because of the broken/weak inlet spring which had blown diesel into it.post-777-136713794744_thumb.jpg

To really see youl,ll have to click the pictures .....go large!! :wave

post-777-136713794779_thumb.jpg