Clap For Heroes

The lady who started the clap for heroes ,has suggested that today maybe the time to end the Thursday clap for heroes.She has suggested that,instead replace with a Annual event to mark the good work by NHS,care and key workers.

Some time ago I started a petition via change.org.uk.To have a NHS day to highlight the good work carried out by all those working to keep us safe.It was also my intention to use the day to fund raise for charities involved  in the care sector. Sadly I never had enough  support to push my petition further. 

I think it's TRUE that if the Thursday clap for heroes continues the impact my be lost.It may be the right time to set aside a once a year event to celebrate all the heroes keeping  us safe,the Doctors, Nurses,care and key workers.

• Like 1

My suggestion is for one day to highlight and celebrate all those involved in the care  and support of the public plus key workers.That in fact is what's happening  now.In the beginning it was intended  for the NHS.Since then it's also for care and key workers.

Ian - where do we stop? How about a day for special volunteers, like RNLI?

Whilst it may seem a very special day for those who have recovered and indeed for the relatives of those who have died, it just goes too far. Do you include special thanks to those in the NHS who, for one reason or another, have not actually been at work as they are deemed "vulnerable"? Or the nurses who are just doing their job elsewhere in the hospital but not on the Covid wards? Or the admin staff not at risk who have been working from home?

Please do not think I am criticising but there are lots who need thanks - given the fuss that councils have been making just over reopening the bogs, how about the workers who work day in, day out in the stuff as it flows under the streets? Not even seen a mention of those guys but do you really call the lads hiding in their portacabin at the recycling centre "key" workers? No - like many they are just doing a job - well they would be if they would get on and open those damn places- but no! Some are still shut even now.

Sadly given the nature of the place in which we live and our expectations, there are many who are deserving as they work in places I would not, and indeed would not dream of! But at the end of the day, its a job and searching out the deserving, might be more difficult than you actually think!!

Unless I misunderstood I think that is what Ian is saying -

36 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

My suggestion is for one day to highlight and celebrate all those involved in the care  and support of the public plus key workers.

That would include all those people who do the jobs we couldn't or wouldn't do and therefore be the point where you stop having thanked all groups at once.

I don't know if it will get off the ground but the idea in saying thank you to the heroes and the unsung heroes together is a good thought.

• Like 1

As I've said we thank all those that help to keep us safe now,by clapping each Thursday. The World has turned on its head in the last ten weeks.Supper man and woman are not the cale crusaders. They work in Hospitals, care homes key and support  workers.All it needs is one special day to Highlight all the good work they do often putting there lives at risk to help us.

I look after 37 bin crews and its been a massive task keeping the fleet operational with the massive increase of waste and maintaining staffing levels mainly due to self isolating ect - but the general feeling from the lads is that they are not heroes many feel that is reserved for the doctors and nurses and also many of their wives and girlfriends work in the previously unappreciated adult care industry and that is where the recognition should go - it should also be noted that most folk on 80% of a maximum£2500 per month will have still been clearing more than many a key worker anyway and there is resentment 

i give you a quote from one of my crew last week which had me chuckling " we have gone from Zero to hero in a flash ........but when they are all back at work and stuck behind the bin waggon holding them up we will soon be tosxxers again "...............many a true word said in jest eh

finny       

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jeffbroadslover said:

The thing that sticks in my mind is the fact that they applied to do that job (nursing, cleaning the wards etc).

Not one of them has been FORCED to do it.

Jeff

Local government workers have

finny

My point which I thought  I had made very clearly, but it seems not ,is ALL those that have helped in this dreadful time.Many of which are unsung often lowly paid.Lets thank them all,and I do include the RNLI.Covad-19 is the most serious thing to hit us at present,but many unsung heroes  help as all the time.

I understand and appreciate your sentiment Ian - for me its been good to see the country as a whole pull together and that can be from anything from   a neighbour delivering another neighbours shopping  to kidds having jumble sales to raise good cause money ,where i live the local vicar set up a local food bank he then  stuck a big box on his moped and spends his time flying around to those in need .....i have more respect for him than his boss

finny 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jeffbroadslover said:

The thing that sticks in my mind is the fact that they applied to do that job (nursing, cleaning the wards etc).

Not one of them has been FORCED to do it.

Jeff

The fact that they have not refused to step up to the challenge and have even volunteered for extra shifts says a lot about the medical profession. No one who entered the profession could have ever imagined such a situation, they train for disasters but hope never to be needed, when we needed then, they were there.

Whilst I have respect for workers in other jobs who have carried on with work where possible, it's isn't in the same league as the hospital staff in the hot zones.

• Like 3

I'm going to put a different slant on this question. Let me start by saying I do think the weekly applause has run its course. Why do I say that? Because social media in its many guises has "added" lots of ancilliary issues to this. This week we will clap for Boris is one example so you will know what I mean. So I think the "add-ons" now devalue the applause to an extent. Please don't think I in any way at all devalue any of the efforts made by these heroes (Not Boris!), I spent over 40 years nursing and know full well the dedication and caring needed to do what they do. I also agreed with including supermarket and shop staff that were exposed to the general public fairly early on in this horrific period.

My next very big worry is that all these people are going to get a sharp kick in the teeth when the so called "Corona Recovery Plan" is presented along with a pay freeze for public sevtor and NHS workers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

Maybe ,      but they applied for the job they have

Jeff

Just as well they did .......many have have relatively stayed well paid and very safe whilst in lockdown the worst thing many had to do was to stay at home which is more than can be said for what others had to do

Finny

• Like 1

Just to remind us nothing has changed much and perhaps also, that we haven't always been so complimentary about the NHS over the years, I will leave my comment to Rudyard Kipling, from a poem written as long ago as 1890:

Yes, making' mock of uniforms that guard you while you sleep, is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap.

An' hustling' drunken soldiers when they're going' large a bit, is five times better business than parading in full kit.

Then, it's Tommy this an' Tommy that an' "Tommy, how's your soul?"

But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

What have I done!

I still believe in the idea of setting aside one day a year to mark and celebrate The NHS,care and key workers.In this dreadful time,many of which gave there all some sadly dieing themselves. I think a special  day could be done with dignity and respect. 

I agree many staff on the front line are poorly paid and should  receive more.Sadly I dont think that will improve. Theres to many useless self appointed celebrities with to much money just for doing nothing.

Some of the coverage on TV and the press is frankly disgraceful. My view for what's it worth is at times when they get it right it's great can change life for the good but often they also make matters worse .

This disease has affected  us all in ways ,I dont think any of us would have imagined.Before this appeared.

Let's have a low key celebration, just to say thank you,with some fund raising for good causes. 

Ian, I think the problem is in identifying who the heroes actually are, It is almost impossible. It's rather like the old adage about "which part of a watch is important"

I am/was an antiques dealer. I am happy in that my not trading had such a miniscule effect , I was not one of the heroes and as such would have no claim on any charitable fund. My life is simple.

But I think I am in a minority. It is so easy to refer to "key workers" but those working to keep those key workers equipped, fed etc. are also in their own way Key Workers though unsung ones. Those involved in supporting those unsung heroes are also up there in the list of those to whom we aimed our clapping. and so on and so forth.

Capt. Sir Tom specifically stated that he was raising funds for NHS workers. That's fine (to a great extent) It's targeted.

"Clap for carers" worked. Anybody who thought they were included were, and those of us who knew we were clapping for others only, clapped away happily. Heroes clapped for other heroes and some clapped just to be with other people clapping. It was simple and it worked.

Bring money into the equation and BANG, the whole thing becomes a monster dividing views, setting one group against another. People would have to justify being recipients of funds perhaps at the expense of other heroes who may be accused of being less of a hero than someone else.

I don't think it an unreasonable view to suggest that all those who self isolated, all those who obeyed the lockdown rules as they understood them, all those who made sacrifices and all those who did their best to help society are, in their own way,  heroes.

So, let them clap, and listen to those clapping them. And, when the clapping is done. sit back and feel good within themselves.

• Like 2

I'm starting  to sound  like a broken record, but I think you can target  those that have stepped  forward .I dont wish to be flippant. Most of the heroes are obvious.The Doctors, nurses, Emergency  services, care and key workers.Highlight them,some may think there are heroes,okay give them a nod.

It's worth pointing  out as I said at the start of this post.The lady that started the clap for heroes has suggested this is probably the time to stop,and has suggested a special day once a year.

For myself I will not leave the house until more then likely the end of June.I'm Furloughed and may lose my job.I'm not a hero .

In normal years I take part in fund raising. Its what I enjoy,I've always done so and hope to continue. To fund raise alongside would  increase  the  profile of perhaps some smaller charities that dont always get much attention. 

• Like 1

Ian, I apologise unreservedly. I have re-read your post and accept that after reading some of the replies I somehow inferred that you were suggesting some form of fund raising for the heroes rather than a "day of remembrance". two very different things.

Whether a "day" is the best way I don't know, but I do agree that the efforts of the NHS is worthy of something. Perhaps a statue of Florence Nightingale on the fourth plinth at Trafalgar Square would be fitting, with a plaque explaining why it's there.

There may be many ideas for tributes but I do agree with you in that there should be something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps my last comment is this:

There are days marking this or that .Best friends  day,God mother day and so on,May of made them up.Think you get my point.Often special  days can be a time to reflect on what's happened. For example 11 November  Remembrance day.Often a time to pay respects to  those that died and suffered. 

I would hope a day such as I've suggested could be a respectful and dignified event.Think with some thought  it could be a good way to say thanks.

• Like 2

For me, frontline workers are those who have had to put their life in immediate danger to help others.

Key workers have got on with their normal job under difficult circumstances.

The rest of the population, in the main, have carried on and followed the advice given, doing small and large acts of good if we can.

I am humbled by the efforts of frontline staff, respect the efforts of key workers and gladdened by the way everyone else has acted.

Lets have an annual event to mark the frontline workers supreme efforts but not dilute it by adding others.

• Like 1

unlike the majority, i have not participated in the public clapping, this is mostly down to my neighbours, with whom i want no association. we have just heard that we can meet with up to 6 people in our gardens with the appropriate 2m spacing, well, hardly a day has passed since the start of lockdown when our neighbours have not had 6 people from several households at the same time round, indoors or in the garden, with no social distancing, yet sure as anything there they are out there on a thursday night clapping, and worse mingling with everyone else clapping, so i want no association with their hypocrisy. i feel even if the nation as a whole stops clapping, they will still be out there every week, just for the enjoyment of making noise.

I do like the idea of a day set aside for remembrance of those heroes and heroines and those that have suffered and passed away during this pandemic.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, grendel said:

unlike the majority, i have not participated in the public clapping, this is mostly down to my neighbours, with whom i want no association. we have just heard that we can meet with up to 6 people in our gardens with the appropriate 2m spacing, well, hardly a day has passed since the start of lockdown when our neighbours have not had 6 people from several households at the same time round, indoors or in the garden, with no social distancing, yet sure as anything there they are out there on a thursday night clapping, and worse mingling with everyone else clapping, so i want no association with their hypocrisy. i feel even if the nation as a whole stops clapping, they will still be out there every week, just for the enjoyment of making noise.

I do like the idea of a day set aside for remembrance of those heroes and heroines and those that have suffered and passed away during this pandemic.

We have taken part but our neighbours are the same. We live in a cul-de-sac of 15 houses and after the clapping there is a gathering of households with drinks. There is now quite a clique of those who think it's a waste of time.

Back on topic, I think it has run it's course. Brilliant idea which could be revived in the future. If it carried on though, it would have just faded away as less people took part.