Cerise Lady Has A Day Out At Last

CambridgeCabby

Back home now after a most pleasant but damp evening at Gays staithe in the company of the crew of “Bliss” , new members of the NBN , and various families on holiday on hire craft (socially distancing obviously ) .

Lazy morning finally departing at 11:00 for a slow meander back to the wet shed .

All secured and off home via a visit to Roy’s department store to have a look at the sales .

Back soon

0FDD463E-0F3F-423F-8395-9BB91C615082.jpeg

• Like 2

Guest Jayfire

Sorry to hear that Mr CC, I certainly know the doghouse feeling.

Unfortunately I'll be heading home this weekend, but hope you have a good time and if I am ever back on the rivers, I'd love to meet up sometime :default_beerchug:

9 hours ago, Jayfire said:

Unfortunately I'll be heading home this weekend, but hope you have a good time and if I am ever back on the rivers, I'd love to meet up sometime

That’s very cryptic!

9 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I sincerely hope you do return , and sooner the better .

This forum has certainly benefited from your membership and posts , and will be a poorer place when you move on .

Best wishes in your future endeavours 

Totally agree. And that’s very cryptic too!!

Am I missing something here?!  Apologies that this is on Cc’s thread not Jay’s. 

:default_xmas2: :default_xmas6: :default_xmas4:

Back home now after a wonderful weekend , solo .

sarurday 1st

Was a bonus to see the magnificent Broad Ambition with Griffs beaming granddaughter co piloting on Barton Broad (thank you for turning around Griff)I didn’t travel far , I was able to grab the side mooring at Gays Staithe so I could simply relax and enjoy the Norfolk Sunshine , the staithe soon filled up unusually more privateers than hirers , the amount of hire boats that approached , couldn’t see a pub and left was astounding 

I settled in my chair under the tree watching the world go by enjoying a beer or two , made a crab salad for my lunch and had a little snooze .

Decided to stay put for the evening , Gayes staithe has always been one of my favorite moorings , even with the demise of The Barton Angler .

Tonights dinner was Barbecued steak and field mushrooms with salad , accompanied by a more than adequate Chilean Merlot .

A few glasses of malt to round the evening off and at 22:00 was time to retire 

D2E5A2A3-6837-4F1D-9CC7-7B830A0FCFB3.jpeg

D67899D7-076A-4AB2-993F-9FE1F375DE12.jpeg

B4EEA2DF-9810-4F2E-8EC6-1D04BA983386.jpeg

5B6CA34E-D1B2-4EF6-88C6-EF0C7053ACA2.jpeg

57DF044D-9B93-4C1D-9249-ECEA58702278.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

the amount of hire boats that approached , couldn’t see a pub and left was astounding 

I'm reading a lot of posts across a number of Broads groups, especially on Facebook, where first timers are asking for advice about this and that. And most of them seem to be asking which pub they can get to ... is that really what people think a boating holiday is all about?!

Looks like you had a nice time out. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with Jean. It does seem that lots of people just want a mooring near a pub and, in the height of season, that’s a bit unrealistic unless you moor up really early. Shame really. My favourite moorings tend to be those in quieter locations.

• Like 1

I’m not adverse to a pint or two myself , and often moor at Ranworth so as to visit the pub ,amongst other reasons, but am just as happy elsewhere where no pub is accessible .

I do however totally enjoy people watching, love to see youngsters enjoying themselves and the social friendly side of the Broads.

• Like 1

Disregarding the Broads for one moment, I think people  who are on holiday do consider the availability of alcohol, and the surroundings it's served in, to be an important aspect of that holiday. Be it a bar on a cruise liner, a night club in Ibiza or the Butlins in Bognor Regis, it is an important feature of their holiday. What I struggle to understand is the attitude of "all they want is pubs" or "They think it's all just a water born pub crawl".

YES, OF COURSE THEY DO.

Given the choice of mooring up in the middle of nowhere for the 25% chance of seeing an otter or mooring near a pub where all the family can have soup in a basket while listening to Adele, sorry guys , the otter don't cut it.. Only on subsequent visits will the otter win the day. (those hiring boats for fishing holidays are a different kettle of ... errm ... err... fish.).

Basically it's a bit like somebody buying a copy of Mayfair magazine because it had an article about a classic Ferrari... yeah right.

I've heard comments like "we don't want the Broads to be like a theme park." sorry guys. it IS a theme park, and if it stops being one A certain Dr will get his NP status.

So often I read, "Why have a Television on board when we have the beautiful broads to look at." or similar. This strikes me as snobbishness to the n'th degree. if someone prefers to look at Corrie rather than Coltishall, they have paid loads of money for that right.

Rant over.

• Like 6

I doubt that this statement is fully correct or fully false, any more than opinions from the other angle.

Why anyone would pay through the nose to sit on a boat, usually in the middle of nowhere, to watch Coronation St et al
will forever be one of life's mysteries. Surely it can't just be for a change of scenery, they're not looking !

I do wonder sometimes if the very helpful advice, and detailed directions, generously given on this forum, is tinted by an alcoholic haze.

That is a view I am entitled to have just as much as a serious drinker is entitled to his view too. :default_winko:

If the idea that alcohol consumption is an important aspect of a broads holiday, where does that leave teetotallers ?

Mr Mynah sir, I have lately returned from 10 nights on the Broads and we took with us a fair few bottles which returned with us - unopened. We just didn't feel like it. That doesn't make us right or wrong, just different. :default_smiley-angelic002:

Vive la difference. God forbid we should ever all be the same. Besides, us avoiding the pubs left more room for you.

If your supposition is correct why would the otters win out on subsequent trips ? Is that anything to do with the prices ?

I detect a lighthearted theme to your rant, I hope you can see similar to this.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MotorBoater said:

Why anyone would pay through the nose to sit on a boat, usually in the middle of nowhere, to watch Coronation St et al
will forever be one of life's mysteries. Surely it can't just be for a change of scenery, they're not looking !

Because sitting on a boat watching it is different from sitting at home watching it.

6 hours ago, MotorBoater said:

If your supposition is correct why would the otters win out on subsequent trips ? Is that anything to do with the prices ?

I don't think it has anything to do with prices. My point about subsequent trips is that the more often a person visits the Broads, the more the focus drifts from seeing the sights, to being on a boat.

It occurs to me that when someone shows a photo on this forum, of a twig with a glimpse of water in the background, taken in 1978, a dozen or so members correctly identify where this photo was taken.

I would suggest that for the first few visits to the broads for Joe Average, the pleasure is going from A to B to C to D, enjoying the journeys and the destinations in equal measure. The next few visits will be doing much the same routes, but the enjoyment will be more in the cruising than in the destinations. As the visitor becomes more familiar with the area, that's when he/she starts using more of the wild moorings and publess ones. 

There are of course exceptions to this. Salhouse for example. The hike to the pub is too much for many but the broad is a hotspot even though TV reception is pretty poor.

I have come to the stage now where I don't really care where I'm moored, or whether there's a pub there (yes I carry loads of booze on board) The important thing for me is that I'm on my boat.

7 hours ago, MotorBoater said:

I do wonder sometimes if the very helpful advice, and detailed directions, generously given on this forum, is tinted by an alcoholic haze

You bet it is 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Katie and I will be afloat this weekend , picking up our tender and outboard also , so weather permitting we will be able to explore areas previously inaccessible to us , hope to catch up with NBN friends new and old (socially distanced of course) whilst we do .
Bar always open !!

simon and Kate 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Katie and I will be afloat this weekend , picking up our tender and outboard also , so weather permitting we will be able to explore areas previously inaccessible to us , hope to catch up with NBN friends new and old (socially distanced of course) whilst we do .
Bar always open !!

simon and Kate 

We will hopefully be on the Rank Friday night.

• Like 1