Safety On And Around The Water

CliveEdwards

I agree ,most river users look out for one another. Like many owners I am a member of the RNLI, I have a VHF on board. As others have said there are already The Broads  Authority, broads beat,boat yards and private  boaters.All keeping  an eye on the river.

• Like 2

My maritime and broads experience is a nice round figure: zero.

But I was recently impressed by the general attitude towards my thread regarding safety equipment. It was quite relaxed in a "don't worry, we've got it covered" sort of a way. On the other hand, too many safety patrols or even safety notices could put people on edge, create unnecessary fear and spoil the relaxation.

• Like 5

Clive, perhaps you should make contact with these good people, your aims seem to be pretty much the same.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/277817965887612/                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Clive, perhaps you should make contact with these good people, your aims seem to be pretty much the same.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/277817965887612/                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Hmmm.... point well made, can’t see the usp with these good people, are they really any more than good samaritans such as you JM or I would be in a situation requiring help. The AA have helicopters which neither public service nor quangos can provide and really add value to our broads scenario hence I have no qualms in contributing to. BB seem(ed?) to be searching for a gap in the system which doesn’t exist save for an exceptional event whereby standby services eg Hemsby lifeboat etc cant cope.... not sure that’s ever happened. Amiable aims, bluntly bluff? If it’s their own money then full marks for effort, if shaking a tin then consider the AA or the lifeboats before you throw!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stumpy said:

With the greatest possible respect for the original posters intentions this smacks of blazered buffers in well-polished Freemans cruising around shouting at well-lubricated stag parties to put a lifejacket on!

Along with the odd Commode Door!

• Like 1

If needed the Great Yarmouth and Gorlesdon Atlantic 75 ( I don't think it has been upgraded to an 85 yet ) could be deployed. This craft on the benign waters of The Broads would be very rapid indeed should the present arrangements up river require extra assistance.

Broads Beat's Orkney Pilot House is also not short on power if needed at an incident.

Many thanks and all understood but there still seems to be a misunderstanding regarding the role of the Merchant Navy Assn Boat Club as regards promoting the RNLI's Respect the Water campaign which is what our initiative is actually about.

We are NOT never have been and never will be seeking to become a Cat 1 responder

Interestingly none of the comments on the NBN forum have mentioned the Norfolk & Suffolk Boating Association (NSBA) but their excellent Green Book has featured an article on the MNA and our Boat Club regularly every year so from now on rather than me responding to each of these posts individually I would refer anyone who wants to know about the role of the MNA Boat Club to 81 of the 219 edition of the Green Book

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CliveEdwards said:

Interestingly none of the comments on the NBN forum have mentioned the Norfolk & Suffolk Boating Association

I am afraid a lot of us feel these days that they are not worth mentioning.

The support that we might have relied on over other very important issues concerning navigation on the Broads has not been forthcoming in recent years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CliveEdwards said:

Many thanks and all understood but there still seems to be a misunderstanding regarding the role of the Merchant Navy Assn Boat Club as regards promoting the RNLI's Respect the Water campaign which is what our initiative is actually about.

We are NOT never have been and never will be seeking to become a Cat 1 responder

Interestingly none of the comments on the NBN forum have mentioned the Norfolk & Suffolk Boating Association (NSBA) but their excellent Green Book has featured an article on the MNA and our Boat Club regularly every year so from now on rather than me responding to each of these posts individually I would refer anyone who wants to know about the role of the MNA Boat Club to 81 of the 219 edition of the Green Book

There speaks someone with very little, if any knowledge of the Broads and its organisations .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Poppy said:

There speaks someone with very little, if any knowledge of the Broads and its organisations .

I hesitate to "like" that Poppy, out of courtesy but it may well apply in a lot of ways.

By the way, my opinion of the NSBA also applies to the Broads Society these days.

• Like 2

Just now, Vaughan said:

I hesitate to "like" that Poppy, out of courtesy but it may well apply in a lot of ways.

By the way, my opinion of the NSBA also applies to the Broads Society these days.

Absolutely !

• Like 2

In recent years I have felt that the NSBA has become just another layer between sailing clubs and the RYA. Not really relevant for many Broads users.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Agreed.

In fairness to Clive, he has chosen to private message me, and perhaps others too. I appreciate him doing that and have responded as fairly as I can, pointing out something of the reality, not least the good work being done by the Rangers and the Communications team at the BA. Okay, so I do wish they'd drop the BNP nonsense but that aside the Authority does do an excellent job in getting safety advice out to where it matters. I also made it clear that when outsiders tell us what to do, most notably when it is already being done well, that we do tend to be a tad irritated! 

As for the NSBA, it appears that they have chosen to be totally non political, their choice, but what they do do well is to provide the very excellent 'Green Book', many a Broadlander's bible, well worth the subs alone.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I wholeheartedly agree with both Marshman and Vaughan on this one. Diluting what is here could cause confusion and the consequences of that could be fatal. I was a Coastguard Auxiliary for twenty five years, as if that matters a jot. As it is we have the RNLI, Hemsby Broads Rescue, RYA, NSBA, a network of boatyards, the Fire Service and the Broads Authority itself all singing from the same hymn sheet, do we really need yet another vigilante group, however well meaning? After all the safety record on the Broads is pretty good.

Please note, Clive, NSBA has been mentioned. As a group they do disseminate safety advice. 

I'm afraid, Clive, that your group is something of a Johnny Come Lately group as far as Broads safety is concerned. You are very welcome to the Broads but you are offering nothing new. sorry to be so negative but reality is reality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I would have agreed with you until the last change of Chairman. It does seem to me that the Society is slowly becoming more outspoken and the Chairman’s statement in Harnser is well worth a read these days - imho of course. 

I agree, but the views of the Chairman are not necessarily those of the Society as a whole - what is the point of being more outspoken if there is very little left of the Society he presides over? Actually I am still a member and read the Harnser but don't often find many of the articles of real interest - its difficult I know but do you become more political - or less so? Not sure as go one way, and you risk alienating many members, or the other, and people lose interest! How fickle am I !!!!!!

The Broads Society was an important part of the Broads scene and sadly lost its way for a variety of reasons - bit like the NSBA!   I agree the best thing about the latter is the Green Book (where would we be without it?)  - it probably the most used book on board other than my Hamiltons maps!!!!!

just a thought from a different viewwpoint, nothing personal clive.

commodore is a royal navy rank above captain, calling someone in civillian life running a yacht club such seems very snobbish and smacks of self aggrandisment and pomposity and mentioning no names but a yacht club haing a commodore, vice commodore, rear commodore and admiral shows the extent of one upmanship and snobbish attitudes.

It may be tradition but using naval ranks for ciivillians in the current climate is well outdated

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Where the Broads Society is concerned, softly softly catchee monkey as the saying goes. Best to take things slowly and hopefully take people with you than go in all guns blazing and turn people off straight away. I hope we are going to see a different Broads Society to the one that has been plodding along in recent years but only time will tell. 

• Like 2

whats wrong with manager, treasurer, secretary and orther titles used by thousands of clubs worldwide instead of pretending to be someone they are not?

the names i quoted are from a list of an existing yacht club, including admiral.

8 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Where the Broads Society is concerned, softly softly catchee monkey as the saying goes. Best to take things slowly and hopefully take people with you than go in all guns blazing and turn people off straight away.

The Society has long adopted a softly, softly approach and quite honestly it hasn't worked. Indeed it's been seen as a weakness and clearly taken advantage of by those with whom the Society should be seeking to influence.  

• Like 1