Steering

it can be either, but generally its cable, from what i have seen a bicycle chain runs over a sprocket on the wheel, then transitions into a pair of cables, these run by pulley to the back and round a big disc attached to the rudder, alternatively there can be a single cable running in an outer like a speedo cable (but a lot bigger) that is used to drive the rudder mechanism.

I once had the joy of replacing a steering cable, the old one when we got it out was 12 pieces joined, the shortest was 1m between joints.

• Like 1

The single cable onboard 'B.A' is a push / pull 'Bowden' type affair.  One cable inside an outer one.  It is proper BIG.  Driven by rack and pinion behind the helm.  It has various grease points on it, with cupped washers and springs.  We have serviced it as best we can many times, also kept the grease points topped up.  If it ever fails we are well and truly in the mire.

Its now over fifty years old, so spares will just about be impossible.  I have no idea what make it is either.  Plus changing the thing will be a right nightmare as from what I can gather, 'Young' Jack Powles got a new steering cable then built R641 ('B.A') around it

Griff

• Like 1

A lot of boats have steering cables setups of some sort, that I have seen. I have also seen these cables fail from time to time, always in a strong tide and strong bowl.... The most robust set up I have seen is on my dads boat, one of Martham’s smaller cruisers; I think they all have a similar setup? This is a sprocket on the rear of the wheel which is chain driven to another sprocket directly below, which is fixed to a shaft. The steering shaft run the remaining length to the stern where it is paired to an oil filled steering box next to the rudder post. A steering arm from the steering-box translates the movement to the rudder shaft via a Machined track rod. Like anything in the marine environment, if it moves up, down, sideways or rotates, keep the grease lubrication points well topped up, that keeps things going for quite sometime. 

Cheers 

Paul 

Back in the sixties a schoolmates Dad had a boat at Woodbridge with a Kitchin rudder, now that WAS technical! Two wheels and a twin lever Morse control. Busier than a one armed paper hanger picking up the trot mooring off the Tide Mill!

Hi Paul There are basically three types hydrophilic which is easier to fit, can also have more than one steering/helm wheel position this requires more space for pump and ram at each end, then there are two mechanical types a pull/pull much like rowing skiff two ropes one in each hand but more complicated requires two cable runs then there is the push/pull this has a outer case which is fixed at each end with a inner that slides back and forth one end to the rudder other end to the wheel this requires being well greased and doesn't like tight bends where the two cable type can via wheels/quadrants go round sharp bends the hydrophilic one is the choice of to day it just needs two pipes from each wheel to the rudder with tee's to as many wheels as you like, normally just two. John

10 hours ago, stumpy said:

Back in the sixties a schoolmates Dad had a boat at Woodbridge with a Kitchin rudder, now that WAS technical! Two wheels and a twin lever Morse control. Busier than a one armed paper hanger picking up the trot mooring off the Tide Mill!

Anyone who masters Kitchin gear can call himself a helmsman !  had experience of them in the RN  they could turn a grown man into a jibbering wreck !