Waveney Pegasus - The Strangest Design Ever?

I think this boat has come up in a previous thread but at the time there weren't interior photos available. Looking on Hoseasons website now I'm convinced this boat is very odd indeed. At first glance it's a conventional sedan but look closer and it's anything but. The aft deck is ridiculously narrow and with no railing doesn't look at all safe. And why would you put the galley just inside the stern doors with the sofa below amidships and not the other way around?

https://www.hoseasons.co.uk/boat-holidays/waveney-pegasus-bh2607?page=1&sortorder=4&region=23895&gateway=true&adult=2&child=0&infant=0&nights=7&range=3&pets=0&start=03-04-2021

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

No 'push-pit, handrail around the stern deck, arghhhh, an accident waiting to happen, surely. Especially where children are concerned.

wavb-bh2607_ex519.jpg

I think I would have had a little scrub round the waterline before getting the camera out...

Interesting interior layout and quite spacious for 27ft. 

• Like 3

Dreadful design from a safety point of view. I would not feel safe on it. I think you could get that rear deck awash in a good wind-over-tide on Breydon.

I would not like to have to make my way to the foredeck to attend to the mudweight, half asleep, if you found yourself dragging on a moonless night.

Also given the propensity of some Broads visitors for alcohol, Peter is right. An accident waiting to happen. I would hope any prospective hirer with young children would dismiss it out of hand, surely!.

• Like 2

Given that it appears to be a two berth, with no advertised facility to convert the settee in the saloon, children may not be an issue.  Not sure whether WRC offer solo cruising, but if they don’t, then technically one parent with a small child wouldn’t be allowed.  This aside, the design looks awkward, clearly trying to fit more space into a small aft cockpit cruiser by moving the galley into what would have been the cockpit area.
I have to agree that the design looks inherently unsafe, with a heightened risk of a dunking.  I see that they permit up to two dogs on board and it’s not hard to imagine that an excitable hound could also be in for a swim, not a problem, perhaps on the Northern rivers, but with a strong tide down south, could be an issue.  The reviews aren’t particularly complementary either.
IMHO, the Haines 29 is a much better design, based on what is essentially the Broom 29 mould, with a more practical layout.  Really don’t understand why there aren’t some on the hire fleets as luxury 2 berth craft.  

• Like 8

I'm not sure how much I should step into this one! 

From my understanding it was built and designed by vouge marine in brundall based on this hull (https://www.ferry-marina.co.uk/holiday-cruisers/sleeps-2-to-4/garnet-emblem/) I must admit I was 50/50 on that boat, love the island bed and the fold down roof but something didn't feel right when I saw it, maybe just too modern and house'y for me.

I guess the requirement was "Make a hardtop version with double doors". Which alone makes huge problems as you can't then have anything on that back wall. They have also clearly gone for a larger kitchen (I wonder if the resturant connection had something to do with that! I know when I designed our first houseboat, enjoying cooking the kitchen was way too big!!).  Having the kicthen midships there would mean a very small sofa in the wheelhouse so I suspect they was stuck a bit between a rock and a hard place.  

WIth regards to the low swimdeck, personally for me I like that, It would be safer to get in and out of a kayak, dinghy etc, also easier should one fall in. It's obviously more common on posher private boats (Brooms I'm sure have low swimdecks), yeah ideally it would be nice to have an outdoor area and a gate but they have clearly gone for more internal space. I bet that large window with an uninterrupted view gives a pretty neat view.  

I'd probably have still moved the kitchen midships and tried to put a sofa in the wheelhouse but without seeing space it's hard to say..  I'd also squared that wheelhouse window but can see why they done it. 

Sadly I believe vogue are no more anyway, but it would have been interesting to see what they would have done with a larger hull.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Given that it appears to be a two berth, with no advertised facility to convert the settee in the saloon, children may not be an issue.

Quite true, I had read the link information which states children, I should have read the actual page. 

If I were on the market for a 'love boat', just my wife and I, no grandchildren, then I would be seriously tempted, but I would insist on a stern rail with a timber capping that would allow one or both of us to perch on whist being out in the sun. As for accessing the foredeck, I agree with Chris. My use would require that she would be safe as a family dayboat, so whilst being tempted, I do see problems. Am I right, there doesn't appear to be a forehatch? That I would want both accessing the foredeck but also as a fire-escape.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JawsOrca said:

I'm not sure how much I should step into this one! 

From my understanding it was built and designed by vouge marine in brundall based on this hull (https://www.ferry-marina.co.uk/holiday-cruisers/sleeps-2-to-4/garnet-emblem/)  . . . . . .

The hull looks similar to the Haines 26, but with a different top.  The dimensions are the same.  I’m probably wrong, though.

People like bright and airy boats - the lack of a rail is no big deal to me. Indeed if there were one it would make it more difficult to get on and off.

What is good, is that there are still new small boats being built and you can thank Len for that!! Lets hope he continues!

• Like 3

I don't mind that for a small hardtop cruiser. Plenty of internal space, the bathing platform looks plenty big enough and is far bigger then the platform on our own boat and there are plenty of grab rails on the roof and cabin sides. I don't mind that galley up design and it is something that we really like about the Greenline 33 with the galley being able to be opened up the the outside and the saloon tucked away downstairs means you can get comfy down there without people peering in at you as they walk by.

I think that is a nice little two berth boat and it is nice to see that the hire companies are still catering for couple and offering ice modern boats for couples.

I can see that is would be a handful in a crosswind but many smaller lighter boats are.

• Like 1

Had a good look and on the whole I personally think it is a lovely boat but and a big but they would have to put as Pete suggests -  a stern rail with a timber capping - because sober or tipsy the river is darn close and easy to fall into.    Knowing me I would be the first to fall in.           Apart from rescuing the mud weight as has been suggested , we would have no need to venture to the front of the boat as would drag the ropes towards the stern for ease when mooring.

It does look very luxurious.

Just had a further look and noticed 2 burner hob which is electric (:1315_thumbsdown_tone1:)  plus looks like a microwave oven    ( :1315_thumbsdown_tone1: )  also the galley slave is only one to have a view when relaxing as the cabin is tucked away down the steps.     Second thoughts no not for me.      

• Like 1

On reading the reviews I did chuckle at this one.       Deprive folk of sleep and this is the result,   a  big moan.   They still enjoyed their break so not a deal breaker at all.

Waveney Pegasus is comfortable and well-appointed boat having a high standard of equipment and furnishing. Unfortunately we did have some issues. This boat has a problem with wave slap making it difficult to sleep with constant very loud slapping against the hull when moored up at night . It did not help that the bed was very hard and felt like you were sleeping on an ironing board! The boat also has a issue when connected to shore power resulting in a pulsing, constant humming noise and as the power inverter and shore power system is under the bed this only added to our sleep problem. We had a issue with the TV. It would switch on and of on its own and sometimes would not receive the ITV channel. Luckily we had a laptop and our WiFi router from home so we did not miss the Rugby! The Waveney Pegasus is a nice boat providing you are a heavy sleeper. The Waveney River Centre staff are very helpful and professional and I would use them again. It was just a shame that lack of quality sleep did affect our break.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There are several Boats with no aft cockpit rail, this and some other have steps down the back and nothing to stop you carrying on down into the water...

image.png.beb962316297e38fff81896060159c08.png

I note also the Pegasus is a fixed top, carrying on the trend to boats that won't go beyond Potter or Hoveton  or several other low bridges. This is good for us that can go beyond, but poor in limiting visitors view of the Broads..

Pegasus is a flying horse, I think the new design is more of a wallowing hippo..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Most dual steer boats have direct access from the saloon to the flybridge which is certainly much safer. A few e.g. Polaris from WRC don't and I've always wondered how safe I'd feel carrying a couple of mugs of tea up to the flybridge. It does put me off this type of boat. I've also noticed BB's latest Barnes Tempo built on the old Alpha 35 moulds don't have direct access like the older models. A step backwards?