Waveney Pegasus - The Strangest Design Ever?

12 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

Most dual steer boats have direct access from the saloon to the flybridge which is certainly much safer. A few e.g. Polaris from WRC don't and I've always wondered how safe I'd feel carrying a couple of mugs of tea up to the flybridge. It does put me off this type of boat. I've also noticed BB's latest Barnes Tempo built on the old Alpha 35 moulds don't have direct access like the older models. A step backwards?

We hired Swan Ranger last year and found that the internal stair to the flybridge was very steep. We mostly used the external stair up to the top. Perhaps that is the reason for the latest versions not having the internal steps. It does also mean there is more space to put some extra saloon seating as the saloon is quite squeezed with the internal steps in the way.

• Like 2

I think Hunters have been trialling the outboards for a year or more - I guess it was only a matter of time before they converted more as it did save them time having to collect boats at the end of the week from differing points!!!

Still those grey tanks get full more quickly than the pumpouts if you stay in the shower too long - the only shower in a Hunters boat is over the side with your own bar!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheQ said:

There are several Boats with no aft cockpit rail, this and some other have steps down the back and nothing to stop you carrying on down into the water...

That's true and there's nothing wrong with the principle of not having a stern rail. The issue with Pegasus is that the stern deck looks to be ludicrously narrow and very close to the waterline, so the margin of safety is much smaller than on more common designs. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I thought it was mandatory for a powered hire craft to have a holding tank 

The Hunter fleet are sailing craft (picture below), most do not have any engine at all.

Sailing craft built before the directive about having holding tanks, Do not have to have them retrofitted. In most, there is just no where to put one..

The  base of the toilet is often all but mounted on the bottom of the boat.. If you put it on a tank, your head and shoulders would be sticking through the deck.

https://www.huntersyard.co.uk/

mmgy2012-9801[1].jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We've took the plunge and hired Waveney Pegasus for a week in October, understand it may not be everyone's cup of tea but we really liked the look of it for the price - hopefully a bit more comfort in October than a cheap Richardsons bath tub etc (not that I'm knocking them in any way, either!).

One question for the forum, if I may? Does anybody know the air draught of Waveney Pegasus, or be able to take a rough guesstimate? I'm keen not to hassle the boatyard receptionists just yet when they've probably got much better things to be getting on with.

Thank you all :) 

• Like 1

Looking at the pictures , if I were to hazard an educated guess I would say 8ft4 to 8ft6 , but do ring the yard they are there to help you and they would prefer a customer to confirm the airdraft than risk going under a  bridge and risking damage.

The details state no Potter Heigham , Beccles old or Wroxham bridge passage so will be less than or equal to 8ft6 as Ludham Bridge is not mentioned 

Yes do call them. If I had to guess I'd say 8 foot 6. I see from the other thread you're planning to go under St Olaves which should be fine as long as you avoid the hour or two either side of high water. At Great Yarmouth you'll have loads of room at slack water and an hour plus either side. 

One aspect of hiring I hear often is ease of mooring. 
Indeed back in the day having not to jump out SAS style was the reason we chose flat boats. 
I can see small, easy to moor boat with a good galley to keep Holliday cost down  and access to the river bank near on the level a selling point

• Like 1

Oh goody my favourite subject, LF boat design's. Personally I have to say it looks very well fitted out and nice and cosy,Sadly for me that's where that ends. That is one strange looking boat and I bet that would handle as well as a Sherman Tank in water in a gusty bit of wind. Surely I'm not the only one who thinks the whole thing just doesn't look right. In fact in today's world of alcohol consumption I'd say that rear platform is an accident waiting to happen. It seems way to high out of the water for such a small craft. Brinks have an old sedan type boat ( can't think of its name ) that looks similarly to high. Sorry another ugly duckling for me... Oh btw before anyone moans about my take on this boat, I've put my money where my mouth is and I've hired silent emblem for next year 😏  ( I'd was very impressed with the internal fit out ) my current favourite hire boats is Monaco I went aboard her the day after she had come back from the boat show and was very impressed. Silent emblem is better to my mind. 

On 07/06/2020 at 15:57, marshman said:

What is good, is that there are still new small boats being built and you can thank Len for that

and the fact that it has a gas cooker and hob. Certain boatyards need to take notice and realise that modern BSS regs don't preclude gas onboard and that boats don't need to be all electric and have engines running to make a brew at 06:30.

• Like 1

Passed Pegasus a couple of hours ago. I noticed that there are 2 roof hatches of a reasonable size which should let a good flow of air in. Having seen it a few times now, it’s just become part of the Broads traffic. There are so many different styles around, some good looking some not quite so. Just depends on your taste. One thing is for sure, there has to be something available for everyone now. 

• Like 1