Your Favourite hire Boat

Guest KeithC

Hi All

For those amongst you, like myself, who aren't fortunate enough to own a boat, but get our Broads fix by hiring.

Have you had a favourite hireboat. I know this is so much down to personal preference. I don't think there is realy such a thing as the PERFECT boat as to improve one thing often results in compromise in another. I am not thinking so much of the individual boatyard, but more the boat. I don't want this thread to develop into a boatyard "knocking" thread.

Your thoughts?

Keith

Norfolk cheersbar:Stinkycheersbar

For 2008 im going to look over the boat before i hire, ill be hiring from Faircraft at Wroxham.

Sounds a good idea Brian. If a boatyard have nothing to hide they will be only to pleased to let you look over a boat. For those who live a long way away unfortunately that is not an option.

Keith

Norfolk :Stinky

Hi

We are out with Faircraft Loynes in 2 weeks time, so I’ll certainly report back. Hired an apartment from them last December and were very impressed.

Favourite hire craft? Would have to be Swan Royale which we are hiring for the third time in June. I wish I had the money, I’d try to buy her. Swan Royale is an Alphacraft centre cockpit with superb visibility. She is the 32 foot version and really comfortable boat for 2. Will go under Potter Bridge at normal tides! Fitted with a Beta diesel, which purrs along like a sewing machine. I believe Keith has the 35 foot version. :mrgreen: Lovely craft.

cheersbar

I was always a big fan of the AF 32 and 37, can't be classed as perfect as they have an airdraft of 8'3" but they made good use of space and more importantly to me felt like a proper boat with a nice helm position, good handling, and plenty of space.

First ever hire was captain Moonfleet an aquafibre 37 from cavalier cruisers, unfortunately both yard and boat no longer available.

Most hated hire was Alfa Rapid a 42' droop snoot thing, had long been an admirer of the style so took the plunge to hire a 4 berth one. space was wasted everywhere and what space was used was very badly utalized. Think it was probably just the fitout on this one but it did enough to frighten me away from any further hires of this type of boat.

Ian

Hi Folks

Trying to pin point my all time favourite is VERY difficult as I have so many I like.

On exterior style I too like the AF32's, possibly because when I was a nipper these were quite new & amongst the smartest in the brochures. Having hired one in 2006 the only downside is the aft bed is under a deck, as otherwise, and on paper the layout looks ideal. The saloon is certainly very well designed and quite sociable.

I also like the Westward 38's, Tamar Bridge is the only one still on hire I can think of, but its a bit too yellow for me.

Finally, all the classic moulds like Calypso (e.g Serene Gem - now amazing value for money for the space you get), Caribbean and the Bounty's (Bounty 34 Sedan/Traveller (like Melody from Richardsons) are also firm favourites, possibly because the sheer number that were built seems interesting/exciting to me!

As someone who likes looking back in time as well as forwards I guess an all time favourite probably would be from the FB Wilds Caribbean style range

We have a Bounty Elysian 27 booked next, so we will see how that goes! cheers

Dan

Please Please Please could we have hire boats that actually LOOK like boats.

Nothing offends my senses more than the hideous underpowered creations that resemble nothing more than a floating bathtub with all the handling charactristics of a housebrick

At least the hire yachts are forced by their nature to resemble what a yacht should look like.

Wow, did I really rant like that !!!

Sorry peeps but GRP mouldings can be made to look like proper boats. Imagine a GRP version of some of the old Martham fleet :-D

:Sailing:Stinky

Just a thought though....

Imagine a scenario..... We're going on holiday with 3 generations, including 2 children, one or more members of the crew who are not so agile on their feet, two dogs in attendance too.... the reality is a "floating bath-tub" is easy to get on/off, at a single level so easy once inside, has a sunken well forward for people to sit out, and for children to sit/play safely, and in view of their parents. This is the design brief a floating bath-tub is designed around, and they do that very well.

Of course I like them, as well as liking more 'boaty' looking boats too.... but many of the better looking moulds have either difficult access on/off or steps up/down inside - which is no problem to some but would make a boating holiday out of the question for many - which would be a pity

All the best

Dan

The boat in question was Santa Christina from the much-missed VIP Harvey Eastwood.

Hi Jonzo

As a child I always looked out for the VIP Harvey Eastwood Santa Christina & If I remember correctly, the Santa Margarita. Always known as the best of the broads. Very modern for the time. :Stinky

If fact last year a Santa Christina was up for sale at Waterside Marine at Potter Higham. Still a supurb looking craft!

well yes !!!! third mate, you really did rant.

i don't take offence at your opinion, and every one is entitled, and in fairness i do agree with you a little.

as you have probably guessed i have a bounty bath tub which i bought for comfort, space and loads of storage.

i am now retired and will be spending more and more time onboard, i therefore need the space to turnaround in

comfort. i don't know about being under powered as anyone on the ant on change-over day will realise when they see

all the new starters coming down

i, like you third mate love the traditional type boats but at my age this bath tub suits me fine

i will say, i sold a broom skipper in order to buy this boat, and it was lovely, but lacked 100% COMFORT.

no offence taken mate cheers

alan

Hmmmm, you all seem to be mentioning strange things that lack a proper form of propulsion and seem to rely on some sort of noisy, smelly machinery :naughty:

The answer is obvious to anyone of taste and discernment.........................

:trophy LULLABY :trophy

Mind you I could be tempted by LUCENT or even LUSTRE or LUNA at a push :dance

Mind you I could be tempted by LUCENT or even LUSTRE or LUNA at a push :dance

John are these boat your talking about boat propelled by that unpredictable power called wind or combustible liquids. :twisted:

ps out and about on friday and sat :Sailing from Oby to Reedham for the Turkey race and weird food at the ferry

Oh no! You mean there's going to be a bunch of rag and stick jobbies racing on the Yare this Saturday? We've got to head down through Reedham on Saturday and I don't fancy running the gauntlet of that lot if I can help it!

Had a great time lost the trophy by 20 secs but won 2 ducks instead of the Turkey, Stunning meal in the Ferry.

Lots and Lots of wind took 44 minutes to sail from The ferry upriver to the last windpump before cantley and back to the Ferry.

9 boats in the fleet and not a :Stinky in sight

Lots and Lots of wind took 44 minutes to sail from The ferry upriver to the last windpump before cantley and back to the Ferry.

lot's and lot's of wind :?:? is 44 minutes good going for a sailie, it seems a long time to me. :naughty::naughty:

still i am a stinkie. :Stinky:Stinky

alan