Pubs To Reopen Sooner

Poppy

15 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I hope that pub,restaurant and hotel staff.Dont suffer the abuse that many supermarket staff suffered from some members of the public in the early  days of this virus. 

A lot depends upon the reaction of the staff, we have lost count of the supermarkets etc, where employees have been downright rude and have barked orders at us when it came to entering the premises, so much so that we will not return to one in particular. Manners cost nothing and it needs to be remembered that retailers want customers to return once all this has blown over.

11 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I hope that pub,restaurant and hotel staff.Dont suffer the abuse that many supermarket staff suffered from some members of the public in the early  days of this virus. 

Good point with the added problem of dealing with folks who have had a few, I dint envy them. 

IMG_20200623_161048.jpg

• Haha 1

PHaving spent  a lifetime dealing with the Great British public.Even before  this dreadful disease came along.Many sadly are a pain in the rear end and some beyond rude.In the early part of this the abuse supermarket staff had to put up with was unacceptable. My Nephew who works in a supermarket and had abuse every day.It may not happen in pubs etc Only time will tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Jemaki said:

A lot depends upon the reaction of the staff, we have lost count of the supermarkets etc, where employees have been downright rude and have barked orders at us when it came to entering the premises, so much so that we will not return to one in particular. Manners cost nothing and it needs to be remembered that retailers want customers to return once all this has blown over.

I couldn't agree more, the supermarket we have used for a number of years is now off our radar permanently due to the attitude of the staff. I take on board that they are concerned for their own safety, I am concerned for their safety too, along with my own. We all need to be concerned for each other in this day and age. I understand that they may have an axe to grind that they are working when others are being paid to stay at home but there is no excuse for the rudeness we have experienced from staff on more than one occasion. I will not name and shame obviously, but I did email them to suggest that they are missing an opportunity to make their door guards "meet and greet" staff and should take a lesson from our local Tesco who's door staff always greet you with a smile and thank you for waiting if it has been necessary.

That said I never respond to rudeness with rudeness, simply go elsewhere.

• Like 1

I don't  know your  supermarket, but some of the things customers  have said  to my nephew are just not acceptable. Things like hope you get the  virus hope you die,when pointed out that there were limits on certain. Items that's when some got really abusive. I will point  out I've not been to supermarkets since mid March,but I know how rude the public can be.

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I don't  know your  supermarket, but some of the things customers  have said  to my nephew are just not acceptable. Things like hope you get the  virus hope you die,when pointed out that there were limits on certain. Items that's when some got really abusive. I will point  out I've not been to supermarkets since mid March,but I know how rude the public can be.

Seems to me that there is a very thin veneer of civilization in some people and this crisis has removed a lot of it. We seem to have an epidemic of rudeness, racism and abuse. I can't believe that people in this day and age would take down 5G masts and abuse BT Openreach employees in the belief that these things spread Coronavirus.  Neither can I believe the wholesale dumping of rubbish on our roadsides and beaches. What have schools and parents been teaching their kids for the last 30 years, I wonder?

• Like 1

Must admit, I worked in a busy food shop when I was much younger. By my reckoning then, 90% of the public were fantastic, 8% were stupid and the remaining 2% were probably insane. I suspect the proportions haven't changed much as the world has grown more crowded, but the numbers certainly have. 

25 minutes ago, SteveO said:

What have schools and parents been teaching their kids for the last 30 years, I wonder?

how to go out and protest, no joking that was actually shown on a TV programme recently..

12 minutes ago, SteveO said:

What have schools and parents been teaching their kids for the last 30 years, I wonder?

I think it's for more than the last 50 years this problem has been brewing. It has been considered vital that children have been brought up understanding freedom of speech, freedom of expression, and freedom of thought. Most of this can be traced back to Dr Spock (no not him with the pointy ears).

What is not taught or encouraged is the rule of law, conformity, and order. This has resulted in a society for which "Why should I ?" and "Why shouldn't I ?" have become the mantras, whilst the questions have become rhetorical and answers are not just not wanted, but actively discouraged and totally ignored if offered.  but then I've said most of this before!

• Like 4

I can comment on this with a certain amount of knowledge as I’m a  shop steward for a major union that represents shop workers and the statistics are quite disturbing and are as follows.

“over the past year over two-thirds of shopworkers were verbally abused, 41% were threatened and around 400 were assaulted every day.“ Yes that’s right EVERY DAY. How would you like that happening to your wife, daughter partner etc.

One lady I spoke to had had a frozen chicken thrown at her, one had been stalked home from her place of work another was asked to perform a sexual act, the list goes on and on, I’ll leave you think on that but a shop workers job is low paid with long unsocial hours without being abused by so called customers.

• Thanks 1

I must admit to losing it with a 'colleague' in Asda the other day. However, in my defense, said colleague was totally devoid of manners or social skills. The good lady had probably had a hard time, but then so had I.  I only reacted after she verbally went for my jugular. Poor training by the management? As a customer I don't expect to be abused by shop workers. It's a situation that works both ways.

My grief when supermarket shopping is with the pickers for the delivery services. There are more of themand have lots to do, but the training re social distancing appears entirely absent.

Two metres? Two feet is a lot with some of them !

This thing has brought  out the good and bad in people. Many have gone out of there way to help others.Sadly some are just interested in themselves 

I think some may be looking  after  the fires down below. Like many I'm looking  forward to getting back some of my life.My advice if a worker is unduly  rude,just have a quiet  word with there manger.Staff may have a reasonable reason for being rude,if not there manager should  deal with it.

35 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

My advice if a worker is unduly  rude,just have a quiet  word with there manger.Staff may have a reasonable reason for being rude,if not there manager should  deal with it.

I use Lidl a great deal and have never, in many years, had a communication issue with their staff.

On the other hand I have used, and been abused, at Asda. Now let it be said that my wife was surprised at my outburst, in over 45 years of shopping together she tells me that she's never seen me react as I did. Anyway, I did go over to 'customer service' where, judging by the reception I received, it was clear that I was the bad man no matter what. Subsequently I didn't bother with actual management. 

I don't blame Asda, it won't stop me going there. I do wonder at the schools curriculum though, social skills and manners are clearly absent in many class rooms.

34 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

This thing has brought  out the good and bad in people. Many have gone out of there way to help others.Sadly some are just interested in themselves 

I think some may be looking  after  the fires down below. Like many I'm looking  forward to getting back some of my life.My advice if a worker is unduly  rude,just have a quiet  word with there manger.Staff may have a reasonable reason for being rude,if not there manager should  deal with it.

I had a word with a man in a suit regarding the pickers. The response? 'Our delivery business is very busy and they have an important job to do'

I have noticed that with the ASDA pickers too, yes they may be busy,some are so new they dont have uniforms, but when two are in the same part of an aisle chatting to each other, and there is a queue of people spaced evenly at 2m intervals up the aisle they are blocking patiently waiting for the person in front to move, it gets a bit much, or as you say when they dart in through the no entry end to pick an item just beside you and you dont have the option to move out of their way as then you would impinge upon the person behind you's 2m space.

It seems the police are a bit concerned that pubs reopen on a Saturday and in all likelihood a warm day, in addition to all who use pubs sensibly and have missed them, all the Saturday night idiots will be out. A potential for some disruption, as they call it, sounds like an understatement to me!

I'll be giving it a few days however much I'm looking forward to a nice pint in a nice pub.

City bars will no doubt be the worst.

• Like 1