Latte Guzzlers Should Be Called To Account, Racist Rotters:

Poppy

"Coffee farmers and their families are supposed to benefit from what are called partnership agreements between the EU and its member states’ former colonies. But every time you drink a cup of Nespresso coffeeyou are sending more money to Nespresso and Nestlé than to dirt-poor coffee farmers who rely on the crop.

This is appalling. The “shared value” in coffee is symbolic of a 21st-century colonialism where the vast bulk of profits are kept in developed countries while most of the hard work, sacrifice and risks are heaped on coffee-producing nations. "

Just sayin, you know. :default_biggrin:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Poppy said:

"Coffee farmers and their families are supposed to benefit from what are called partnership agreements between the EU and its member states’ former colonies. But every time you drink a cup of Nespresso coffeeyou are sending more money to Nespresso and Nestlé than to dirt-poor coffee farmers who rely on the crop.

This is appalling. The “shared value” in coffee is symbolic of a 21st-century colonialism where the vast bulk of profits are kept in developed countries while most of the hard work, sacrifice and risks are heaped on coffee-producing nations. "

Just sayin, you know. :default_biggrin:

Hello Poppy,

I do not go in for poncy coffee, like many people of my age I have a number of coffee sets, but prefer a decent large mug of coffee be it being filters or instant, I certainly do not have time for all the adverts for so called Italian coffee etc.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Poppy said:

Typical Giarduan fodder. On a more positive note: "Farmers supported through the pilot managed to increase their coffee yield by around 100% and to double their income as seen in the below table." (source)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paladin said:

Typical Giarduan fodder. On a more positive note: "Farmers supported through the pilot managed to increase their coffee yield by around 100% and to double their income as seen in the below table." (source)

Like your lattes then ? :default_gbxhmm:

1 hour ago, Poppy said:

But every time you drink a cup of Nespresso coffeeyou are sending more money to Nespresso and Nestlé than to dirt-poor coffee farmers who rely on the crop.

And at the same time destroying the environment because someone had to make the machine to boil the water (nothing else will do apparently) and take the capsule thingys. The capsule thingys are now recyclable - whoopee-do! Great news if you ignore the use of the raw material and power in the first place. What's not to like?:default_coat:

Please tell me I'm not helping any drug Overlords by buying Aldi Columbian coffee beans for my (gas) percolator?

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

We really are in silly season now, perhaps we should just wipe out modern mankind go back to the stoneage re-invent the wheel and start again, or wasnt there tribalism even then.

Now now, no need to sexist! It would be modern personkind to avoid offending anyone, and there's a few on here that may find "modern" offensive too. :default_tongue:

• Haha 2

I have been collecting my Tassimo pods during lockdown ready to recycle. I now have an embarrassing amount and guess what, I don't care :default_biggrin:

To compensate for my wanton extravagance I have stopped buying newspapers, I have driven less and turned the heating down.

All my works vehicles are parked up in the yard and the office is cold and empty, We haven't used any nasty chemicals or wasteful and energy intensive building materials since March, my carbon footprint has reduced in line with my income.:default_blush:

I might drink coffee from a machine but at least I am not out with spray cans and bricks pretending to care about the enviroment and society.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I might drink coffee from a machine but at least I am not out with spray cans and bricks pretending to care about the enviroment and society.

I have it in the back of my mind that the propellant gas in aerosols is one of the "green house" gasses.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I have it in the back of my mind that the propellant gas in aerosols is one of the "green house" gasses

It is L.P.G. Butane gas, without the odorising agent added. That's why hair sprays set off gas detectors on boats.

My name is Ian I am a coffee oholic.Not sure that's a right word mind.I miss my coffee  going to work,cappuccino or latte. Yes I have a machine  at home,which helps to fill that missing gap.Yes it is nespresso. I would  like a proper machine,but then wouldn't  be able to afford the coffee. 

A handy solution for proper coffee addicts. For the 'almost' perfect coffee shop coffee experience at home you will need

1. A Moka Pot
  2. A Cafetiere
  3. A Proper Coffee Cup or Mug (porcelain, curved or tapered sides).
  4. Hot Water
  5. Milk
  6. Demerara Sugar
  7. A Robusto Arabica Coffee Blend such as TESCO Italian Blend Coffee or Lavazza

Method

Make a shot of espresso in the Moka Pot while you warm some milk and boil the kettle. When the milk is warm, put it in the cafetiere and depress the plunger three or four times rapidly to froth the milk. Pour the espresso into your cup, add hot water and top off with frothy milk. Add sugar to taste.

For the ambience

You will need some stale cake well past it's sell by date and a couple of plastic bluebottles. A sheet of glass or clear perspex, a paper cup, a marker pen, a bean bag and a couple of fat beagles.

Method
Place the cake behind the glass and add the plastic bluebottles. Write your name on the paper cup, remembering to spell it incorrectly. Make coffee in the paper cup and take the cake and bluebottles and sit on the bean bag balancing your cake and coffee on your lap while you try to consume them. Fat beagles will shove and jostle in a most realistic fashion and do their best to simulate someone asking 'are you going to eat that cake?'.

• Haha 5

Thank you for that Timbo, now you know why I drink "Boat Coffee"

For those unaware of Nyx's boat coffee, here's my method. You will need 1 cafetiere or gas top Espresso. Tesco's French blend ground coffee, Muscovado sugar, Dark Rum. 1 large mug.

Method.

Pour rum into large mug. Make coffee (pretty strong), drink rum. pour more rum into mug add sugar and top up mug with coffee.

Note. Even if you don't take sugar in coffee, it is needed even if it's just a little, to bring out the flavour of the rum.

PS, it beats the hell out of Timbo's recipe.

PPS, if you do the washing up as often as I do, plastic flies are unnecessary.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

That's supposed to be secret!
"I've made you a coffee, why are you nipping off to see MM for another one?" asked Ellie.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

For those unaware of Nyx's boat coffee, here's my method. You will need 1 cafetiere or gas top Espresso. Tesco's French blend ground coffee, Muscovado sugar, Dark Rum. 1 large mug.

Method.

Pour rum into large mug. Make coffee (pretty strong), drink rum. pour more rum into mug add sugar and top up mug with coffee.

Note. Even if you don't take sugar in coffee, it is needed even if it's just a little, to bring out the flavour of the rum.

PS, it beats the hell out of Timbo's recipe.

PPS, if you do the washing up as often as I do, plastic flies are unnecessary.

thats funny i have a similar recipe for lockdown coffee, maybe not so much rum, but it helps not to have to be driving anywhere