Staying On Boats

colino

Having an opinion on this is pointless. The facts are that ministers have repeatedly refused to answer this (and/or related) questions this week. Alok Sharma was asked the the question during a Covid briefing live on TV and he side-stepped it.  I am not aware of ANY having referred to the 4th July even in passing in recent times. 

Scotland is expected to lift domestic tourism restrictions on around the 15th July if there are no unexpected spikes in infection. 

Westminster only suggested that there could be hospitality de-restrictions on 4th July and made no reference (AFAIK) to overnight stays anywhere. 

• Like 1

I stay at The Master Builder, Bucklers Hard on a fairly regular basis and also The William Cecil at Stamford.

Yesterday I received three mails from all three of Hillbrookes Hotels saying as attached, which surprised me.

20200613_115904.thumb.png.346cca8c3b6ed77717ca3e34f04fe8ca.png20200613_120024.thumb.png.e7ad28693d166b62f52a77b995818c17.png

There is a news article today to the effect that hotels are ‘ready to open’ on 4 July. Caravan parks also. I don’t think the next Coronavirus review is until 28June and that wouldn’t leave much time for preparation if the hospitality industry left it until then to start getting geared up. It sounds as if either the date of 4 July has been mentioned so often, it’s become fact or a minister has been whispering too loudly to certain businesses. Either way, I’m sure we’re getting closer to being able to overnight on our boats, we just need a little more patience. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I wrote to my MP to ask about overnight stays in second homes including boats and caravans that are not hired out to anyone so there is no cleaning / contamination risk, and travel is no longer restricted in England anyway. Got the usual polite apology of unable to give me an answer. However ... I was looking on the website for Warwick Castle yesterday and their website also states:

Our Grounds & Gardens have now reopened in line with Government guidance. We plan to reopen the full castle, including a range of indoor attractions, shows and experiences, on 4th July 2020. We can't wait to see you!

I do wonder whether businesses are getting some kind of warning or just hedging their bets that if ready in time, and nothing goes wrong, then they will be given the green light to open further.

• Thanks 1

Hedging their bets. I hope.

Norfolk is not ready for an influx of people at this moment in time.

It cannot cope, and will not cope. Be patient, there will be a time in the very near future when confidence on both sides will be recognised. But not yet. 

Andrew

23 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I wrote to my MP to ask about overnight stays in second homes including boats and caravans that are not hired out to anyone so there is no cleaning / contamination risk, and travel is no longer restricted in England anyway. Got the usual polite apology of unable to give me an answer. However ... I was looking on the website for Warwick Castle yesterday and their website also states:

Our Grounds & Gardens have now reopened in line with Government guidance. We plan to reopen the full castle, including a range of indoor attractions, shows and experiences, on 4th July 2020. We can't wait to see you!

I do wonder whether businesses are getting some kind of warning or just hedging their bets that if ready in time, and nothing goes wrong, then they will be given the green light to open further.

7 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Hedging their bets. I hope.

Norfolk is not ready for an influx of people at this moment in time.

It cannot cope, and will not cope. Be patient, there will be a time in the very near future when confidence on both sides will be recognised. But not yet. 

Andrew

Are they taking monies with these bookings to get their cashflow going???? I just wonder!

1 hour ago, chameleon said:

tell that to the hordes at great yarmouth today

Hi Mike

I was not aware of hordes at GY. Not surprising really, I only live 10 miles away but rarely visit. However have not been aware from the media anyway of any significant problem.

I stand to be corrected.

Sadly, opening up the economy now is top of the government agenda. Lockdown could have saved thousands of lives if the timing had been right, it was not. Does anyone have any confidence they will get this right? Do people understand the latest rules? No.

I hope boat owners can overnight soon, it will not harm anybody, but with clueless leadership who knows what will happen next?

• Like 1

I also saw that the NNUH only had one Covid 19 patient, I assume that meant in an ICU. I am afraid I take a differing view from some of the posters and would recommend tourists to come here! You have all been sitting in front of the television watching every single detail for far too long and you all know you could so easily die of something else just as easily. We seem to have lost the ability to make a rational decision about the risk - instead you are all paralysed by the fear instilled into you by listening to the advice of too many so called experts! Bit like Boris really!!!

Of course I am going to be shot down again in flames for making such a statement (twice in one day - a record for me!! ) But my view is that you have to take a view - you don't shut down the whole car industry because someone sadly dies on the roads, nor do you hide indoors! In fact you take not the blind bit of notice and just jump into your car!

So come back as soon as you can and enjoy this beautiful county and bring with you loads of dosh to help the beleaguered hospitality industry, ashore and afloat - I certainly think the risks are now acceptably low and would welcome them!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Poppy said:

Marshy, absolutely right !

Marshy, absolutely wrong!

The control of covid virus 19 is based on Track and Trace.

Without going into obvious detail how do you Trace a person in a caravan, in a tent, in an unknown holiday home......on a boat, could be moored anywhere. 

That person who has beyond doubt been in contact with a friend or relative lying in an incubator. That person who needs to be informed that he is a carrier and can infect, will infect others.

Andrew

• Confused 1

This topic was about when we might be able to stay overnight on boats. Please can you not turn it into another Coronavirus thread. We have that topic already covered. This is exactly why the balance of topics recently has felt too much away from the Broads. The OP's question is Broads related but any general discussion about the virus is not.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, marshman said:

So come back as soon as you can and enjoy this beautiful county and bring with you loads of dosh to help the beleaguered hospitality industry, ashore and afloat - I certainly think the risks are now acceptably low and would welcome them!

I shall be back to do my bit for the Norfolk economy just as soon as possible, I can’t think of a better place for all the dosh I have not been able to spend recently. I dare say a few folk from Norfolk will be travelling elsewhere in England to hotels, caravans etc so it works both ways.