Staying On Boats

colino

1 hour ago, RumPunch said:

Well for a start St Johns advise no mouth to mouth now - just compressions, so things are certainly different as they were standard for drowning. Personally, I'd probably take the risk

Haven't advocated that for years, just do chest compressions.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Haven't advocated that for years, just do chest compressions.

'Rescue breaths' still taught (as far as I know) on the RYA First Aid sylabus which is overseen by St Johns.  It was wen I requalified  18 monthsago.

As I was also taught mouth to mouth a couple of years ago as rescue crew for the 3 Rivers Race..

The other thing about rescuing people from the  Sailing is generally you don't.  Normally you are rescuing the boat with person or persons on board, who have:

Broken something on the boat.

Run aground.

Become exhausted or taken ill and just can't carry on.

In the last 40 years of rescue boat duty I have pulled people out less than 5 times, but rescues of boats probably under half a dozen a year, most of them being tourists.

Normally broken down hire boats.. it's a case of pushing them to the bank so they are safely out of the way and radioing back to the club so they can call the appropriate boatyard.. Mobile phones not being much use..

The latest increase in rescues, has been hire canoeists from Salhouse, unable to paddle against the wind or just falling in.. They of course are allowed out without nearby rescue boats.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, TheQ said:

The latest increase in rescues, has been hire canoeists from Salhouse, unable to paddle against the wind or just falling in.. They of course are allowed out without nearby rescue boats.....

Well well!

Perhaps the good Doctor's eco - friendly national park vision needs a bit more thought, on the practicalities?

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

The other thing about rescuing people from the  Sailing is generally you don't.  Normally you are rescuing the boat with person or persons on board, who have:

Broken something on the boat.

Run aground.

Become exhausted or taken ill and just can't carry on.

This has been my own experience, on rescue boats.

There were a couple of times though, when I got elderly people out of the water and ashore fast, after they had been knocked down (rather than capsized) in Norfolk Dinghies after a sudden squall.  They were only in the water a few moments but if they had not been in lifejackets and I had not got there quick, they would have succumbed very soon to hyperthermia.  They were already semi-conscious.

And this was on Wroxham Broad in August, believe it or not!