Staying On Boats

colino

9 minutes ago, SteveO said:

I think I will be hanging back for a few days to let the novelty wear off a bit.  

Me too. If the queues outside Primark are anything to go by, I think I can wait a bit longer! 

The Broads will be mayhem. Think I'll save that one till December!! 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, SteveO said:

Unfortunately it will be you and around 20 million others.

True but at least it's our own caravan, never gets hired out. So just like all you boat owners we have everything there that we need and can take supplies with us to avoid the shops as much as possible. I've settled into working at home well but it's time for a week off whatever the limitations or freedoms by that time.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, SwanR said:

“The plan is to announce a small number of air bridges on June 29th, though it won’t come into force until July 4. Obviously it will depend on factors such as the scientific advice and the level of coronavirus infections at the time.

Surely any "air bridges" will depend upon the destination also agreeing to one! If the example of New Zealand recently is anything to go by, I supect they will not be queuing up methinks!

Surely any "air bridges" will depend upon the destination also agreeing to one! If the example of New Zealand recently is anything to go by, I supect they will not be queuing up methinks!

The Med holiday destinations that rely so much on the British Holiday £ will be more than welcoming I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

12 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Me too. If the queues outside Primark are anything to go by, I think I can wait a bit longer! 

The Broads will be mayhem. Think I'll save that one till December!! 

Please do,  your winter exploits keep us going in the long dreary dark days.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Please do,  your winter exploits keep us going in the long dreary dark days.

Certainly will M. As we've just missed out on a week we might even try for a fortnight in December. Should have quietened down by then and the pubs re-stocked! :default_beerchug:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grendel said:

for my week at the end of july i may well stay above the bridge, but will see how it goes, i might head for somewhere else that a boat that gets under potter can easily get to, coltishall or dilham maybe

Just wondering what the weed will be like going up to Dilham. It is usually fine in the middle of the cut, it is when someone comes the other way with 12ft 6in beam and you have to get right over to pass.

We have no choice, the boat is booked for the 4th.

The upside is we will be the first staying on her.

The downside is I am expecting the rivers and moorings to be very very busy, as the flood gates open!

I am even expecting some hostility from locals who'd rather we stay away.

2 minutes ago, Bexs said:

I am even expecting some hostility from locals who'd rather we stay away

No need to be bothered about that, in the earlier days of lockdown breaking there was local resentment for a number of reasons the main one was fear by older residents. With the official easing things are pretty much accepted and of course where done properly visitors are welcome by businesses and locals ( there will always be the odd one), but largely Norfolk has always been a welcoming place and still is.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Ray said:

No need to be bothered about that, in the earlier days of lockdown breaking there was local resentment for a number of reasons the main one was fear by older residents. With the official easing things are pretty much accepted and of course where done properly visitors are welcome by businesses and locals ( there will always be the odd one), but largely Norfolk has always been a welcoming place and still is.

Thats fabulous to hear!!  

We are coming from the South West which has even lower infections than East Anglia, but we can't wear a badge saying that...

So much of the Broads infrastructure needs tourism. Hopefully people will see that.

• Like 1

It's probably similar in the south West, people understand the need for tourist spending but that's not their first thought, like many places in our United Kingdom visitors are simply welcome. 

Have a great visit! 🍺

• Like 1

It might seem to be being picky but very few people anywhere ( not just Norfolk) are grateful that people spend money! It's much more subtle than that, businesses deal in transactions, it's a give and take of equal partners.

Pub staff for example are genuine in the warmth of their welcome and then exchange an excellent meal for your hard earned pounds. It's more about how society works, there will be some people who come here explicitly to support a place they love, that is genuinely appreciated, others simply because they just want a nice holiday, there's nothing wrong with that and everyone tries to make sure that's what they get ☺

Just now, Bexs said:

Absolutely! Tourism is vital. Not sure 100% of residents understand that though.

There's always a good mix of "characters" wherever you go I guess 😀

3 minutes ago, Bexs said:

Absolutely! Tourism is vital. Not sure 100% of residents understand that though.

You’ve made me think (painful!)...I’ve been thinking back to how we used to moan about tourists when I grew up in Anglesey, so I might need to rethink my earlier post.
On the other hand, those who have been working in the tourism industry have probably been so worried about potential business closures and job losses, they might be even more welcoming than usual, and I say that as someone who finds Norfolk residents very friendly.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, grendel said:

for my week at the end of july i may well stay above the bridge, but will see how it goes, i might head for somewhere else that a boat that gets under potter can easily get to, coltishall or dilham maybe

I can understand your thinking Peter although personally although its wonderful above the bridge I think I'd be frustrated to be up there for that long. As you know though, there's places on the north Broads that are quiet all year round.