Staying On Boats

colino

That’s very true. However, I’ve feel I’ve been very fortunate that I’m able to work from home and my job isn’t at risk. I’ve been trying to empathise with those whose livelihoods are at risk, and who have few options. 

I am local. I have lived in Norfolk all my life. Several generations of my family have been involved in the hire boat industry and are still involved. I am fearful of the final outcome of this dreadful virus for the tourist industry in Norfolk and the Broads industry in particular. 

I have been told to be alert. Well, I have been trying my best to be alert for several years. I don't think I'm very good at it. But I am aware.

I am aware that I am old and vulnerable. I have been told that I am shielding, whatever that means. I have a whole raft of medical issues. But I enjoy being here, I look forward to all you people coming to Norfolk. Please come.

I shant be there to help you moor. To have a yarn, a mardle, a laugh and a joke. 

Be alert. But also be aware and that some of us old codgers have to be as well.

Old Wussername

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

MailOnLine - timed at 23.18 today

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8443277/Hotels-B-Bs-allowed-reopen-two-weeks-Boris-Johnson-plans-staycation-boost.html

It does say "Shared facilities" like campsites will have to wait a bit longer but while it can't be called official yet it seems hopeful.

They suggest an announcement on tuesday which may be right as companies will need time to complete any work they have been doing to get ready.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

Money isn't everything......

Unfortunately in modern life it is very close, as I've mentioned in another thread unless we all want to go back to hunter/gatherers (a lot do) money is everything as everything we expect requires it, and lack of it can create a bigger death toll than a virus, how close the actual numbers are no-one knows till afterwards.

It's no use surviving a virus if you are going to starve or keel over from something that was fully survivable before the hospitals got clogged up.

Without a herd immunity or annually researched jab flu would probably still far outdo the death toll of covid but that has had centuries to settle to the rate it has now and we only understand the numbers we are used to, how does 10 years of average flu deaths compare to covid deaths bearing in mind we have a level of immunity and a regularly changing jab (that is still just an educated guess as to which strains are going to be prevalent).

I'm not ready to willingly accept death or of any family or friends but the reality of nature is it happens and there's sod all we can do about it, I have a few issues that put me up the risk catagory a bit but the world keeps turning whatever.

Sometimes the belief of "it always happens to someone else" can be a wonderful thing as if it's going to be me I don't want to have to worry about it before it happens 'cos it will still happen regardless.

Anyway on a positive note.........

• Like 5

We will just be happy to be away from home for a week. We are going to have a steady week on the Witham. We will take plenty of food and drink along with us but we do hope to be able to also eat and drink out as well.

Roll on 4th July. 

• Like 1

We are staying in a cottage on the Norfolk coast from Friday 7th Aug.  Last week we had an email saying we could not arrive until 7pm as they were having to put extra cleaning in place.  This caused us a few issues as we were arriving a little early due to a planned hotel stay elsewhere.

So, we took a gamble, delayed the hotel booking and hired a boat for the preceding week!!  We can then stay on the boat and move into the cottage at our leisure on the Friday evening.  There were not many left to choose from and I suspect what's left will now book pretty quickly.

Had a pretty rubbish year so far so really looking forward to our two weeks in Norfolk.

• Like 2

Well Marthams have just taken my booking to add the rest of the week onto my previous booking an extra 4 nights on board, I have just realised though that this means i have 3 days back at work before another weeks holiday for the wooden boat show.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grendel said:

well when I havent been furloughed at home, I have been working from home, I am starting to wear ruts in the floorboards now.

That's no way to test out the router bits Grendel

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, grendel said:

well when I havent been furloughed at home, I have been working from home, I am starting to wear ruts in the floorboards now.

That's OK until you get 'stuck in a rut' and find yourself in the bathroom when you was heading for the kitchen 👍

1 hour ago, NeilB said:

We are staying in a cottage on the Norfolk coast from Friday 7th Aug.  Last week we had an email saying we could not arrive until 7pm as they were having to put extra cleaning in place.  This caused us a few issues as we were arriving a little early due to a planned hotel stay elsewhere.

So, we took a gamble, delayed the hotel booking and hired a boat for the preceding week!!  We can then stay on the boat and move into the cottage at our leisure on the Friday evening.  There were not many left to choose from and I suspect what's left will now book pretty quickly.

Had a pretty rubbish year so far so really looking forward to our two weeks in Norfolk.

I suspect the removal of the 2 meter rule will enable sailing / Racing to take place... watch out for Horning regatta week . 1st to the 7th of August...

• Like 1