Jump to content
  • Announcements

    PLEASE NOTE THAT THE NBN MOBILE APP IS CURRENTLY NOT WORKING

Staying On Boats


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, EastCoastIPA said:

There is actually a very simple answer to that one. Don't race yet! Businesses, those people who do what they do to earn a living and keep the economy going are facing all those sorts of challenges and having to make drastic and often expensive changes. No reason why the same doesn't apply to a leisure past time.

Have a raffle to see who can race, or divide the membership into 4 and give them their own smaller race weekends. Basically just think outside the box and most importantly keep the members safe!

I think it would be quite possible to run normal club racing at 1+,  at 2M there just wouldn't be enough room in places even for limited racing.

You could say the same with pleasure motor boating, don't go out yet, you are passing others to get there, you are mooring up at places others do, many will want to go to pubs all of which say they can't operate at 2M. Whilst the pub may require 1+ those using them are doing so for leisure should they be stopped?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I also saw that the NNUH only had one Covid 19 patient, I assume that meant in an ICU. I am afraid I take a differing view from some of the posters and would recommend tourists to come here! You have

Don't rely on me. I have regular conversations with the BA on this and there is, categorically, no wink to tip.  If other industries like Warwick Castle are still saying 4th July, either they have

I am local. I have lived in Norfolk all my life. Several generations of my family have been involved in the hire boat industry and are still involved. I am fearful of the final outcome of this dreadfu

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, TheQ said:

each series includes at least 6 starts at 5 minute intervals  each start may have 10 boats or more

I can see the problems with sailies starting at 5 minute intervals as many don't travel more than 2 metres in 5 minutes...... :default_tongue:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I can see the problems with sailies starting at 5 minute intervals as many don't travel more than 2 metres in 5 minutes...... :default_tongue:

I've seen some be overtaken by the following, start before they reach the start line...

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I can see the problems with sailies starting at 5 minute intervals as many don't travel more than 2 metres in 5 minutes...... :default_tongue:

Rubbish! Of course they do! Just not necessarily in the direction anybody was expecting!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Rubbish! Of course they do! Just not necessarily in the direction anybody was expecting!

including the sailing boat crew if the tide is strong and the wind not a lot..

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ray said:

This quote from today's proceedings (https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jun/23/uk-coronavirus-live-latest-news-updates-pubs-restaurants-cinemas-and-museums)

is interesting, I wonder what point was intended to be made? Any ideas?

""Robert Goodwill, a Conservative, asks for an assurance that the pleasure cruiser sector will have to comply with guidelines that will be uniformly enforced across the country.

Johnson agrees with the need for this.""

 

(Yes it's the Guardian but it's only a quote, not an opinion 😀)

What's wrong with the Guardian? Apart of course that many here would prefer the Mail !

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

There is actually a very simple answer to that one. Don't race yet!

 

Well, they seem to be playing football again  - but of course there ar £millions involved there !

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Poppy said:

What's wrong with the Guardian? Apart of course that many here would prefer the Mail !

I was cautious of seeming to be partisan and less than transparent. Apparently these things can happen at times 😂

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ray said:

I was cautious of seeming to be partisan and less than transparent. Apparently these things can happen at times 😂

 

I think they are bored Ray, they want to get back aboard their boats and sleep on them. its like the posts over winter, but has had an extra 3 months worth of boredom tacked on the end.

:default_norty:  :default_biggrin::default_biggrin::default_biggrin::default_biggrin:

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Poppy said:

I think they are bored Ray, they want to get back aboard their boats and sleep on them. its like the posts over winter, but has had an extra 3 months worth of boredom tacked on the end.

:default_norty:  :default_biggrin::default_biggrin::default_biggrin::default_biggrin:

I think you can add a massive dose of frustration to that one Poppy, especially given the weather we've had since lockdown.

I know I'm burning on a far shorter fuse than I normally have.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I think you can add a massive dose of frustration to that one Poppy, especially given the weather we've had since lockdown.

I know I'm burning on a far shorter fuse than I normally have.

I should have put my comment in quotes  :default_biggrin:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Poppy said:

I think they are bored Ray, they want to get back aboard their boats and sleep on them. its like the posts over winter, but has had an extra 3 months worth of boredom tacked on the end.

:default_norty:  :default_biggrin::default_biggrin::default_biggrin::default_biggrin:

Hmm, Now i am certain I posted that somewhere just the other day, well not the smiley bit at the end though. is someone being a cheeky chappie.

I am sure there is a corner of Heck (well hell is religious so we cant say that) somewhere for cheeky chappies that dont properly attribute quotes.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, grendel said:

Hmm, Now i am certain I posted that somewhere just the other day, well not the smiley bit at the end though. is someone being a cheeky chappie.

I am sure there is a corner of Heck (well hell is religious so we cant say that) somewhere for cheeky chappies that dont properly attribute quotes.

There is certainly a corner of heck for dodgy/naughty people, that's where I bought my boat from, and they talk funny being yorkshire.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

At the moment all sport is still restricted with no spectator involvement, the current relaxations allow enough why try and push the boundary's.

Fred

Has anyone else noticed that they are showing football with recorded crowd noise.

Is this so that the blokes kicking a ball across a patch of grass get a reminder of why they are there.......can't do it without instructions !!!!!!!!!

Jeff

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jeffbroadslover said:

Has anyone else noticed that they are showing football with recorded crowd noise.

Is this so that the blokes kicking a ball across a patch of grass get a reminder of why they are there.......can't do it without instructions !!!!!!!!!

Jeff

I think on the main tv channel (usually Sky) showing football, you can choose what background noise you want. Crowd noises or just the players etc calling to each other. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Further to my comments yesterday, Last night I got an email from the RYA,  as I guess everyone else did in the RYA,  that they are still waiting for requested guidance from HMG as to the question of  rescue boats for sailing. That's the only thing stopping the resumption of sailing / Racing ..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

That's the only thing stopping the resumption of sailing / Racing ..

Quite ridiculous.

When a rescue boat is in a rescue situation, there is a life to be saved.  Right then and there.  Surely that still has priority over some nominally chosen "social distance"?  Out in the open air, on the river? At least I hope so!

How do the Hemsby Lifeboat get on with all this?  Fish them out of the water on the end of a long pole?  Or perhaps tow them back in to the bank?

I am starting to despair of this sort of nonsense.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/06/2020 at 10:22, MauriceMynah said:

I can see the problems with sailies starting at 5 minute intervals as many don't travel more than 2 metres in 5 minutes......

Solution to Sailing Regattas....

Why not have Submarine racing instead? Here is a picture I took at last years World Championships in Tenerife...

106088940_948444852340249_2636177635493990557_n.jpg

  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Vaughan - if you think that is ridiculous, you should see the squit thats going on about opening libraries!! No browsing, no touching the books or reading the "spoiler" on the back - if you want a book you can order it online and they will collect them for you and hand your parcel ti you!

How the heck can you "choose" a book if you don't look at??? Defeats the object of libraries totally - see what you get if you put the reopening in the hands of librarians and public sector unions!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TheQ said:

Further to my comments yesterday, Last night I got an email from the RYA,  as I guess everyone else did in the RYA,  that they are still waiting for requested guidance from HMG as to the question of  rescue boats for sailing. That's the only thing stopping the resumption of sailing / Racing ..

The RNLI in North Norfolk seem to overcome the problem. They’ve been involved with a few tide dodgers!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Quite ridiculous.

When a rescue boat is in a rescue situation, there is a life to be saved.  Right then and there.  Surely that still has priority over some nominally chosen "social distance"?  Out in the open air, on the river? At least I hope so!

How do the Hemsby Lifeboat get on with all this?  Fish them out of the water on the end of a long pole?  Or perhaps tow them back in to the bank?

I am starting to despair of this sort of nonsense.

Well for a start St Johns advise no mouth to mouth now - just compressions, so things are certainly different as they were standard for drowning. Personally, I'd probably take the risk

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • NBN Mobile App


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.