New Passenger Boat?

Gays Staith...

Not sure if this has been aired on here already, but the photo of the notice refers to Gays Staithe and the already(?) approved introduction of a passenger boat which will take up 2 alongside moorings, the notice was not displayed on the staithe but was placed in the lane approaching it. I am struggling to open the BA search application because of limited Internet signal where I am.

https://planning.broads-authority.gov.uk/online-applications/simpleSearchResults.do?action=firstPage

BA/2020/0013/FUL

20200618_083841.jpg

20200617_160016.jpg

Yes according to the planning application it is The BA making the application, for The BA is assess and approve!!! They are having to put in a planning application again as the original planning permission for the mooring of Solar Ra is deemed to have been abandoned when it was moved to Whitlingham Country Park. 

The loss of another two mooring spots then, making three so far this year if you include the one at How Hill. Assuming that there is still no stern on mooring allowed due to Covid19 it could get very busy out there once you are allowed to stay overnight again.

7 minutes ago, marshman said:

Surely if you go down to a one metre rule, which you will have to eventually like it or not, then the BA will have to abandon that silly regulation?

Agree

Although I still think it was a ludicrous decision in the first place!

Obviously decided whilst completing a risk assessment which they have little or no knowledge how to complete.

• Like 5

They also moved the Ra from Gays staithe as it was being underused and was not financially viable , it seems that the toll payers will have to cover the losses again .

it would be far more sensible to run it from Potter where there is far more footfall and where it could go many areas on Hickling where standard hulled boats cannot go  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

The loss of another two mooring spots then, making three so far this year if you include the one at How Hill. Assuming that there is still no stern on mooring allowed due to Covid19 it could get very busy out there once you are allowed to stay overnight again.

There's always mud weighting on a Broad...... Oh, sorry, no shore power :default_norty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

It would be far more sensible to run it from Potter where there is far more footfall and where it could go many areas on Hickling where standard hulled boats cannot go  

Good idea, so long as the masting moorings above the bridge aren't taken up. 

How will they get it there though. It cerainly won't fit under 'that bridge'.

48 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

They also moved the Ra from Gays staithe as it was being underused and was not financially viable , it seems that the toll payers will have to cover the losses again .

it would be far more sensible to run it from Potter where there is far more footfall and where it could go many areas on Hickling where standard hulled boats cannot go  

On a lorry - same as it left. Re moving it to Potter, the journey time to Hickling and back is 2 hrs. Would they get enough trips in, especially with limited numbers, to turn a profit ?

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Ra was moved as part of a cost cutting exercise following the cutting of the NP grants announced 2011 and acted upon in Spring 2012. This also saw the removal of a trip boat from The Waveney and the closing of Ranworth Tourist Information Office among others.

Viability is very subjective in a not for profit member of the National Parks. I agree Hickling would give a great experience but I don't know what RCD certification Ra carries and Hickling can be very windy. Also NWT would probably have to be involved.

I am pleased she is going back and I will certainly go out on her. If Mike is still her skipper then a trip is to be recommended as he has made a detailed study of Barton Broad and it's surrounds and is fascinating to listen to.

20200618_131824.thumb.jpg.ce37134e6314369b20b0aacaac2b7aa4.jpg

• Like 3

Wroxham (OK, pedants, Hoveton :default_biggrin:) above the bridge would be good location, allowing a stretch of picturesque water towards Coltishall, along with good available parking and the all important charging point, without which the Ra can't operate. 

9 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Wroxham (OK, pedants, Hoveton :default_biggrin:) above the bridge would be good location, allowing a stretch of picturesque water towards Coltishall, along with good available parking and the all important charging point, without which the Ra can't operate. 

Solar powered ? Didn’t think it needed nor indeed had the capability for shore power 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The panels only top it up, furthermore they have come a long way since she was built. Has to be plugged in overnight. She would return to Cox's yard each evening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Viability is very subjective in a not for profit member of the National Parks. I agree Hickling would give a great experience but I don't know what RCD certification Ra carries and Hickling can be very windy. Also NWT would probably have to be involved.

Three very good points, all in one short paragraph.

I do very much hope this is not an indication that national park thinking is going to "shine through" the clouds of this crisis?

I don't know this boat as it is "after my time" on the Broads but this thread is indicating a total waste of time in these circumstances. How is social distancing ever going to allow this trip boat at this time? 

20 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Three very good points, all in one short paragraph.

I do very much hope this is not an indication that national park thinking is going to "shine through" the clouds of this crisis?

I don't know this boat as it is "after my time" on the Broads but this thread is indicating a total waste of time in these circumstances. How is social distancing ever going to allow this trip boat at this time? 

I've been on it. Full of OAP's. Excuse me Mr Captain sir. I need a pee!

Useless thing. Unless you are near a mangrove swamp or amongst the Everglades.

May I suggest that, together with the Spirit of Breydon it is laid to rest at Stalham. That most excellent venue the Museum of the Broads.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Wussername said:

May I suggest that, together with the Spirit of Breydon it is laid to rest at Stalham. That most excellent venue the Museum of the Broads.

Along with Nobby Clark's "Nutty Slack".

So all that huge array of panels is just to top it up, and it still needs a battery charge overnight? I would have thought a rig like that ought to do about 15 knots on a fine day, with a catamaran hull?

• Like 2

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed my trip on Ra, one of it's last on Barton before being sent to the gravel pit. She makes an excellent viewing platform as you cruise silently along the edge of the reeds.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

The panels only top it up, furthermore they have come a long way since she was built. Has to be plugged in overnight. She would return to Cox's yard each evening.

Just been reading the original clippings about the Ra , it cost £55,000 and was built in Germany , much was made about it being purely solar powered and no need to connect to the mains , how quickly ideals are forgotten when practicality comes into play .

all said I had a good look around her when she was operating from Gays staithe before and was very tempted myself especially since it was only £5 for the best part of an hours tour 

• Like 1

I believe initially it could run on solar alone, then the batteries got older and rather than replace them all, the cheaper option was an overnight charge. Battery technology has moved on leaps and bounds since it was made, there is a good chance it could be made very green again, albeit at a lot of toll payers money.