Berney Arms

2 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Dont understand about moorings being unsafe.We moored on the BA moorings there last week.In truth,pub and BA moorings  look the same

Totally agree I moored there waiting for the tide to change Sunday week ago and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was

Never moored there before, had planned a stop over for the dog at Polkeys Mill but it was full!

I’d be happier mooring there overnight than the Fishermans at Burgh Castle, they looked very ‘harsh’ last year!

I heard good things about the Berney, somehow in 10 years circumstances never allowed me to use it, I guess I’ll never get the chance now  😢

• Like 1

Surely it only applies to the moorings owned by the publican, not the BA moorings that are in good nick. Cross fingers...if there no mooring available at Berney Arms moorings I would have thought that would be more than a bit of an issue when Breydon Water is closed.

• Like 1

Guest Jayfire
2 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

I was thinking along similar lines JM but got modded a while ago for suggesting something similar! 

you're not a proper poster unless you're modded every week :default_norty:

:default_beerchug: 

I'm pretty sure that it would only apply to the pub moorings and not the BA section btw

Guest Jayfire
1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

It's not what you suggest but the way that you suggest it that matters! 

Are you suggesting that me old mate Mr Nog suggested something in a way that it shouldn't have been suggested?

I suggest you shouldn't suggest such a thing in the way that you suggest it about our most gentlemanly Mr Nog JM :default_eusa_naughty:

Guest Jayfire

43 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

That’s a bit convoluted Jay, although it does make perfect sense. Is that a record for the most suggestions in a post? (Watch this thread to see if he can outdo himself.)

I'm not sure what you're suggesting Helen, but if I'm correct in what you're possibly suggesting then what you're suggesting is that I'm going to wonder if you're suggesting whether I'm suggesting that me old mate Mr Nog suggested something in a way that it shouldn't have been suggested?

I suggest you shouldn't suggest such a thing in the way that you suggest it about our most gentlemanly Mr Nog JM, nor Helen should suggest the suggestion that as suggested by the aforementioned suuggested suggester

9 hours ago, Jayfire said:

Are you suggesting that me old mate Mr Nog suggested something in a way that it shouldn't have been suggested?

I suggest you shouldn't suggest such a thing in the way that you suggest it about our most gentlemanly Mr Nog JM :default_eusa_naughty:

suggestion noted

Guest Jayfire
2 hours ago, vanessan said:

Why do things get suggestive when Jayfire  reappears? 🤭

What are you suggesting Mrs V???? :default_biggrin:

Ooohhhh my head hurts to type this morning :default_drinks: 

:450_trophy:

Can I make a suggestion? that a separate topic is started called suggestions to continue this suggestive debate! As a suggestion we could even have a sub section of the forum called Suggestions where members can create topics making suggestions within the suggestion forum area. I make this suggestion so that this topic can go back to discussing The Berney Arms rather than be sidetracked by discussions of suggestions. I might however suggest that this topic is the right topic to continue making suggestions if those suggestions are in relation to suggesting how The Berney Arms could be made more viable in the future.

Can I make a further suggestion that we shouldn't blame NorfolkNog too much for bringing up the subject of suggestions or Mr Waller for continuing the conversation on suggestions. I would suggest that if anyone is too blame for over using the word suggestion it would be Jayfire. I would further suggest that we are all aware of the perils of drinking too much fizzy foreign lager as it tends to lead to an excess of suggestive behaviour!

I suggest that I have probably got my point across by now, but remain open to your suggestions!

• Like 1

Let's leave it where it is,yes its been side tracked,not uncommon for the forum I think this is a serious  post.We spent a day by Berney  windmill.Very nice to,  it is worrying  in my opinion that some pubs are disappearing on the southern  broads,also mooring are often  few and far between. As I said I will contact BA about the moorings  there and report back.

• Thanks 1

Ian, I suggest that the BA will tell you that they already have two sections of mooring there, one owned by them and one leased to them and that they provide sufficient mooring and that it is for the pub owner as owner of their section whether they want to close their section.

• Like 1

Ian, reread it. It was on subject. The BA do have two section of mooring there. The moorings are respectively owned by English Heritage as owners of the Mill and moorings. These are leased to the BA. The next section is owned by the RSPB and they used to let pub users moor there. The next section was purchased at auction by the BA. The final section belongs to the pub and it is up to them what they do with them. In recent years since the pub has closed various care takers have tried to charge to moor on the pub section. With no money coming in to the pub it is their choice to charge or close their section.

About half the pub moorings were installed by the Environment Agency/National Rivers Agency thus I suspect that they are responsible for their condition. The other half is largely DIY and pretty appalling, I've always resisted using them. If I understand the RSPB's response correctly then there is a question as to what land is actually owned by the pub. I would question whether the river bank is within the boundary of the pub.

That building operated for many years as a cafe. Makes you wonder why they don't operate the cafe as a bistro or what ever they want to call it without an alcohol license with a bring your own policy. They could then operate the pub next door which presumably still has a premises license and sell takeway drinks that could presumably be consumed on peoples boats, the river bank, or in the bistro next door!

24 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Okay I have just spoken  with BA,they are going to get me an answer and get back to me about  there 24 hour moorings. Once they do I will pass that on.

Hi Ian,

I've just had a chat with Howard in Broads Control and so I'm replying on here on his behalf (and for the benefit of other forum members).

To answer your question, the Authority has no intention to leave the moorings at the Berney Reach.

The smaller section closer to the pub is owned by the Authority so there is no lease to run out - we have no intention of leaving here. Furthermore the larger section is leased from the RSPB, however we have no intention to lose this stretch as a 24 hour mooring either.

Hope that helps,

Tom

• Like 4
  • Thanks 10