Speeding On The Broads And Rivers

Matthew12

Matthew - you need to get the registration number of any speeder and report them to the Broads Authority. If you are able to get any pictures that helps too although in a kayak I appreciate that could be difficult. These people can be very dangerous to kayaks, canoes etc. 

59 minutes ago, Matthew12 said:

It wasn't the broads it was the river great ouse in 5mph zone I just wanted to tell people to be careful

I am unaware of any part of the Ouze above Denver permits this and in any case, such behaviour around canoes and such is remarkably irresponsible and likely to be covered by navigation bylaws. 

As to Speeding on the Norfolk Broads I think there is One answer I think?r is to have a MPH fitted on all Boats as using the Engine  Rev Counter is a bit way out as I've  found out by using my Mobile Phone MPH that proves to be very useful  to me and  keeping  with in the Broads By - Law's 

6 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

As to Speeding on the Norfolk Broads I think there is One answer I think?r is to have a MPH fitted on all Boats as using the Engine  Rev Counter is a bit way out as I've  found out by using my Mobile Phone MPH that proves to be very useful  to me and  keeping  with in the Broads By - Law's 

The trouble is there are those that just don’t care and would still rush around regardless! 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, vanessan said:

The trouble is there are those that just don’t care and would still rush around regardless! 

The rivers aren’t going to be any different to the roads, where speed limits are considered advisory rather than compulsory.  Thinking about it we, the public, seem to decide which bits of the law we wish to adhere to.  Much of the subject matter on here over the last few weeks only a served to prove this.

Just saying!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

I am unaware of any part of the Ouze above Denver permits this and in any case, such behaviour around canoes and such is remarkably irresponsible and likely to be covered by navigation bylaws. 

Unfortunately because of the wash I wasn't able to get a photo of the reg number

11 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

try a marthams boat, 2 volt meters and an oil pressure gauge, you judge speed by wash, barely a ripple =3mph

that said flat out they produce less wash than a fibreglass cruiser at 3mph.

• Like 1

On The Yare - and it's legal at detain times of the day.  The wife was a tad upset as the wash tipped her  empty wine glass off the seat as the first one passed, smashing it on the aft cockpit floor.  I have a feeling that if there had been wine in it, I may have been instructed to give chase so she could express her feelings in person!!!!

DE44E3D2-1E3D-42AD-8DAD-D9455798C6C9.jpeg

1519499A-2D10-45D5-94D0-24F1AD65FB8B_1_201_a.jpeg

7BAA47ED-CE44-46B5-BFFF-DDC7606EB613.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could never understand why the consent for speedboats pulling water skiers was ever given , the type of boat that pulls the skiers is always a trailerable type of craft so could easily travel to either the coast or Brayden Water where no damage will be caused to the banks and where there are no moored boats 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I could never understand why the consent for speedboats pulling water skiers was ever given , the type of boat that pulls the skiers is always a trailerable type of craft so could easily travel to either the coast or Brayden Water where no damage will be caused to the banks and where there are no moored boats 

Usually the skiing times are in the early evening and if memory serves me correctly there are no official moorings over the skiing course. It is very close to the Waters Edge however but give people sitting at the tables outside something to look at. The support vessels for the sculling crews are another story if you are moored at Bramerton Green.

• Like 2

Looking at the photo's and the 'Wash' it doesn't seem significant to me.  It would take a far far bigger wash than that to knock owt over onboard 'B.A'  I have honestly seen bigger waves on the Bure and Barton let alone Breydon and the southern rivers when there is a decent blow on

Griff

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Not sure if it was a case of consent was never taken away rather than given, I think the time my father started skiing on the Yare back in the 60s there were no speed limits, it may be that the introduction led to the current compromise. In truth a broads yacht can probably cause as much if not more damage to the banks especially if it fails to tack and misses the river!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Looking at the photo's and the 'Wash' it doesn't seem significant to me.  It would take a far far bigger wash than that to knock owt over onboard 'B.A'  I have honestly seen bigger waves on the Bure and Barton let alone Breydon and the southern rivers when there is a decent blow on

Griff

I think BA is a lot heavier and more stable than Norfolk Lady.  The wash was significant, especially from the boat in the first picture, although you can see it starting to develop on this one too:

26ECBB1A-BE81-4A73-BA91-0220F453FF80.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The maximum permitted wash height on the rivers is 12 inches.  That applies to everything from wake board boats to the Brundall navy.

A piccy,  registration number, time and date will see some action. I know this after having a boat damaged on the waveney by a wake board boat whose wash lifted 6 ton of wooden broads cruiser and dumped it on the bank splitting the (oak) chine rubber. Sadly my "it was blue and going for it" didn't result in anything meaningful ....

27 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

A piccy,  registration number, time and date will see some action.

I can confirm this having been able to photograph someone deliberately trying to cause trouble to moored boats. Details etc off to BA asap which resulted in a successful prosecution.