Speeding On The Broads And Rivers

Matthew12

3 hours ago, Cal said:

Did you hit the wash beam on rather than bow on for it to spill drinks?

That certainly wouldn't have spilt drinks on our boat Naughty-Cal and she is a damn sight lighter than Norfolk Lady!

Beam on, to be fair.  I’d just nipped below to answer a call of nature and the wife was at the helm.  We were approaching the right hand bend near Langley Dyke, heading from Cantley towards Brundall when the ski boat came from the opposite direction, passing quite close to us, so even if she had realised that steering into the wake would be best, there wasn’t really time.  
It did sound good, though.  Inboard V8 I think. 

Remembering of course the Yare was, and maybe still legally is, the access to the Port of Norwich, so you could in theory, still get a dirty great freighter heading up to Norwich. Heading up river below the limit they would produce a wake much larger than a ski boat.

Did you hit the wash beam on rather than bow on for it to spill drinks?
That certainly wouldn't have spilt drinks on our boat Naughty-Cal and she is a damn sight lighter than Norfolk Lady!

Are you heading in this direction with Naughty Cal this year?
Did see her out at BW after Christmas.
Glad you kept her.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

11 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

The maximum permitted wash height on the rivers is 12 inches.  That applies to everything from wake board boats to the Brundall navy.

I'm not condoning creating excessive wash but i didn't think it applied to cruisers ect. I always under the assumption the wash height bylaw refers to light sports vessels (under 13m2) towing a skier. 12inches wash height is were the wash hits the bank.  

10 hours ago, Tricky said:

Are you heading in this direction with Naughty Cal this year?
Did see her out at BW after Christmas.
Glad you kept her.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

No we are staying local this year. Think we are bringing her to the Broads for a couple of weeks next summer though.

On 22/06/2020 at 11:34, TheQ said:

Remembering of course the Yare was, and maybe still legally is, the access to the Port of Norwich, so you could in theory, still get a dirty great freighter heading up to Norwich. Heading up river below the limit they would produce a wake much larger than a ski boat.

My dad assures me that when I was young we saw a coaster heading for Norwich. I wish I could remember because that must be a real sight!

Couple of pics on this thread https://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com/topic/16177-coaster-hits-with-hirecraft-moored-at-at-reedham-mystery/

They don't look too big on the wider stretches, but meet one on the bend just upstream of Brundall, and they're really quite large!! I know, because that's where we met one back in the 70's!

14 minutes ago, Regulo said:

15 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Couple of pics on this thread https://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com/topic/16177-coaster-hits-with-hirecraft-moored-at-at-reedham-mystery/

They don't look too big on the wider stretches, but meet one on the bend just upstream of Brundall, and they're really quite large!! I know, because that's where we met one back in the 70's!

We met one coming downstream above Trowse railway bridge . . . they looked pretty big that close.

1 hour ago, MaceSwinger said:

My dad assures me that when I was young we saw a coaster heading for Norwich. I wish I could remember because that must be a real sight!

We still have the pleasure of mixing with commercial vessels where we cruise on the Trent, Ouse and Humber and commercial traffic is returning to the Aire and Calder.

We love mixing it with the big stuff :default_biggrin:

5 minutes ago, Cal said:

We still have the pleasure of mixing with commercial vessels where we cruise on the Trent, Ouse and Humber and commercial traffic is returning to the Aire and Calder.

We love mixing it with the big stuff :default_biggrin:

My first solo trip was in 2015 and I had a little Sumatra from Wroxham, Brinks Sonata. I think I'd have given birth to a brick had I passed a coaster in that!

Edited by MaceSwinger
Fingers work quicker than brain...
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

My first solo trip was in 2015 and I had a little Sumatra from Wroxham, Brinks Sonata. I think I'd have given birth to a brick had I passed a coaster in that!

The Sumatra is about the same size as our boat :default_biggrin:

The big commercial stuff has life boats bigger than our boat.............

DSCF4599.jpg

DSCF4867.jpg

DSCF4885.jpg

DSC-0045.jpg

As someone who enjoys lots of different activities on the broads, sailing, motor boating, canoeing, paddle boarding & and waterskiing for the last 35 years I find it quite sad that the skiers seem to be getting the blame again.

For the most part the ski boats will produce less wake than an average cruiser  travelling at 6 mph.

the other point I’d like to make is, 17 years ago the BA wanted to ban waterskiing all together, they carried out all sorts of environmental impact reports on the sport and found we did very little or no damage to the wildlife, environment or bank erosion. 
Martin Broom (chair of the navigation committee at the time) said he considered we were the thin edge of a wedge for all motorised craft.

lets hope all river users can enjoy what’s left of the summer.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tobster said:

Martin Broom (chair of the navigation committee at the time) said he considered we were the thin edge of a wedge for all motorised craft.

That really would be troubling. The iconic Broadland scene to me is an old wooden cruiser in front of (insert any of a number of low bridges here), not a BA ranger in his fancy launch in front of another refurbished boathouse.

I've noticed trends in speeding cruisers over a number of years, and it's funny to note that certain hire yards seem to be worse than others. Whether that's just because they perhaps have more boats than others is a matter for consideration though. And it certainly isn't a problem confined just to hire boats.

It always strikes me as a little ironic; we head to the Broads to slow down and relax, yet there are some people who seem to like going everywhere at full throttle in a cloud of smoke, or trying to get a tired old Bounty up on the plane!

8 minutes ago, Ray said:

LOL tired old Bountys are nursed rather than helmed.. it's a magestic form of travel 👍

IMG_20190513_185124.jpg

Wow, she's beautiful Ray! Sadly I don't even mean Bounties of that age, I mean newer. I'm doing my best not to name the particular yard I mean lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MaceSwinger said:

Wow, she's beautiful Ray! Sadly I don't even mean Bounties of that age, I mean newer. I'm doing my best not to name the particular yard I mean lol

Thank you... I was just taking the opportunity of showing off my boat really! LOL :default_beerchug:

• Like 1