Is Water Safe

Andrewcook

I haven't heard of transmission through water, there are no restrictions on wild swimming so far as I'm aware.

Personally if I swallowed any river water I'd be horrified but I am a self confessed hypochondriac when it comes to food/fluid poisoning after a bitter experience years ago 😕

1 hour ago, Andrewcook said:

I wonder is Water Safe from this Coronavirus and take precautions on Fishing and Don't  Swim in the Broads also other purpose's 

I would think that there is more danger from catching other virus’ than Coronavirus.  That said, we have witnessed water skiing on the Yare over the past two weekends and I can’t imagine it’s possible to do that without ingesting a certain amount of Broads water.

11 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I would think that there is more danger from catching other virus’ than Coronavirus.  That said, we have witnessed water skiing on the Yare over the past two weekends and I can’t imagine it’s possible to do that without ingesting a certain amount of Broads water.

Yuck! 🥴

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

From my unsuccessful experience of water skiing many, many years ago on the Broads there is more than one way of ingesting water !!   After skiing along on my bottom after several attempts I stuck to driving the boat !!

• Haha 4

I forget the figures but I did look it up once.

The numerous sewage plants that discharge into The Broads release water that will support marine life without detriment.

It does however contain faecal matter at something like 8 times the limit specified by the WHO for washing, drinking, swimming pools etc.

Then there is Leptospirosis more commonly known as Weil's Disease. Ask most people and they will immediately say "Rats" but a huge source of this nasty bacteria is contained in cattle urine and there is a few gallons of that finds it's way into the rivers.

Enjoy your Sunday Lunch!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, NeilB said:

From my unsuccessful experience of water skiing many, many years ago on the Broads there is more than one way of ingesting water !!   After skiing along on my bottom after several attempts I stuck to driving the boat !!

It's also why ladies should wear a wet suit if attempting to water ski.  PID is not pleasant!

The water leaving the sewage treatment plants is vastly cleaner than the water already in the rivers. Remember every bird, fish and mammal is leaving their  deposits in the water.

People at all the sailing clubs including the children have been going into the water on the broads, right through when raw sewage was pumped straight into the rivers to the present day. I've found no reports of problems post WW2

• Like 3

People can get very obsessed over not a great deal!!

In actual terms the Broads are unquestionably the cleanest they have been for many a long year - I was led to understand, probably wrongly, that the white lilies prefer cleaner water to the yellow ones and that seems to follow. As a result its good to see the white lilies around more and more indicating perhaps there is some truth in that belief.

If not someone will be along shortly to say its a load of 'ol squit!!

It is correct, The "Native"white lilies do need cleaner water. Not Water Garden escapees.

The water is generally very good quality but not for swimming imho. If you get a dunking because of a capsize or fall OB you have to take your chance. However I would never choose to enter the water for fun. There are numerous Blue Flag beaches close to The Broads if you want a swim.

40 minutes ago, grendel said:

there are a few historic boats without holding tanks still.

I always wonder when I see a boat on The Broads festooned in GOBA stickers if it is street legal. Most boats I have been on the RGO were direct discharge.

I personally love the idea of dropping my mudweight on Salhouse and swimming ashore. In reality I'm not sure I would. In addition to the threat of Leptospirosis and the accompanying Weil's Disease there is also the risk posed by blue-green algae, especially in warmer weather.

Also I don't want a pike to bite my bum.

1 hour ago, MaceSwinger said:

I personally love the idea of dropping my mudweight on Salhouse and swimming ashore. In reality I'm not sure I would. In addition to the threat of Leptospirosis and the accompanying Weil's Disease there is also the risk posed by blue-green algae, especially in warmer weather.

Also I don't want a pike to bite my bum.

Leptospirosis is Weil's disease.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/leptospirosis/

• 10 months later...

the biggest danger is lots of boats charging everywhere, there are very few places where i would choose to swim, in some the tides are strong, so i would avoid those, generally the water can still be very cold, there can be blue green algae at times so best to be aware, that said you can swim some places, at coltishall, you can go from the moorings by the locks and there is the mill pond just a short walk away, thats always busy with kids swimming as boats are not allowed down that branch. at gedelston there is a nice area where the kids swim too. and there are swimming pools at beccles and the waveney river centre. that assumes you can get under the bridges.

salhouse is reasonable in some spots.

remember though that you will need to keep an eye on the children and keep them in the safer areas away from the boats, as a swimmer in the water is not always easily spotted from the helm of a boat. 

there are organised swimming events occasionally where they have guard boats and all the facilities set up, the broads authority have a page on swimming so its best to read the advice there too, basically they dont say you cant, just advise on the potential dangers.

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/outdoor-swimming

• Like 2

There was a lady on a Broads social forum complaining last week about 'Floaters' in her staithe surmising that it was from chemical toilets....I sent her a tune to cheer her up 🙂 

13 hours ago, Carley said:

Hi All,

I am taking my children and my dog on the Norfolk broads in July this year and was wondering if it is safe for us all to swim? I have heard that leptospirosis is a real danger here??

Please help!

There are only 50 cases of leptospirosis, reported in the whole of the UK each year. They are mostly among people who come onto close contact with rats and cattle.

You have much much more chance of coming  to harm on the roads just by travelling to Norfolk (or anywhere outside your house)..

You your children and Dog, are extemely unlikely to come to harm swimming in the broads. 

Just chose your place carefully, not in a place of high speed water ie not near GY, And not near  manouvering boats, so off the beach in Salhouse or car park by Wroxham broad are good places.

Don't go off your boat unless you are sure you can get back on,

Don't go over the stern If the engine is running.. Propellers often slowly rotate even if out of gear..

And of course just because you think you can get back on your boat from the water doesn't mean you can, it is far harder in reality than it looks even on a water level bathing platform.

And you don't have to be that close to a boats stern to get in trouble, a reversing prop can suck you in, to start a 6 ton boat moving from a standstill needs 6 ton of water moving the other way.