Jump to content
  • Announcements

    PLEASE NOTE THAT THE NBN MOBILE APP IS CURRENTLY NOT WORKING

Recommended Posts

I haven't heard of transmission through water, there are no restrictions on wild swimming so far as I'm aware.

Personally if I swallowed any river water I'd be horrified but I am a self confessed hypochondriac when it comes to food/fluid poisoning after a bitter experience years ago 😕

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrewcook said:

I wonder is Water Safe from this Coronavirus and take precautions on Fishing and Don't  Swim in the Broads also other purpose's 

I would think that there is more danger from catching other virus’ than Coronavirus.  That said, we have witnessed water skiing on the Yare over the past two weekends and I can’t imagine it’s possible to do that without ingesting a certain amount of Broads water.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I would think that there is more danger from catching other virus’ than Coronavirus.  That said, we have witnessed water skiing on the Yare over the past two weekends and I can’t imagine it’s possible to do that without ingesting a certain amount of Broads water.

Yuck! 🥴

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I would think that there is more danger from catching other virus’ than Coronavirus.  That said, we have witnessed water skiing on the Yare over the past two weekends and I can’t imagine it’s possible to do that without ingesting a certain amount of Broads water.

From my unsuccessful experience of water skiing many, many years ago on the Broads there is more than one way of ingesting water !!   After skiing along on my bottom after several attempts I stuck to driving the boat !!

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I forget the figures but I did look it up once.

The numerous sewage plants that discharge into The Broads release water that will support marine life without detriment.

It does however contain faecal matter at something like 8 times the limit specified by the WHO for washing, drinking, swimming pools etc.

Then there is Leptospirosis more commonly known as Weil's Disease. Ask most people and they will immediately say "Rats" but a huge source of this nasty bacteria is contained in cattle urine and there is a few gallons of that finds it's way into the rivers.

Enjoy your Sunday Lunch!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, NeilB said:

From my unsuccessful experience of water skiing many, many years ago on the Broads there is more than one way of ingesting water !!   After skiing along on my bottom after several attempts I stuck to driving the boat !!

It's also why ladies should wear a wet suit if attempting to water ski.  PID is not pleasant!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The water leaving the sewage treatment plants is vastly cleaner than the water already in the rivers. Remember every bird, fish and mammal is leaving their  deposits in the water.

 

People at all the sailing clubs including the children have been going into the water on the broads, right through when raw sewage was pumped straight into the rivers to the present day. I've found no reports of problems post WW2

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

The water leaving the sewage treatment plants is vastly cleaner than the water already in the rivers. Remember every bird, fish and mammal is leaving their  deposits in the water.

Hmmmmm   that sounds as though it includes people!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

People can get very obsessed over not a great deal!!

In actual terms the Broads are unquestionably the cleanest they have been for many a long year - I was led to understand, probably wrongly, that the white lilies prefer cleaner water to the yellow ones and that seems to follow. As a result its good to see the white lilies around more and more indicating perhaps there is some truth in that belief.

If not someone will be along shortly to say its a load of 'ol squit!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is correct, The "Native"white lilies do need cleaner water. Not Water Garden escapees.

The water is generally very good quality but not for swimming imho. If you get a dunking because of a capsize or fall OB you have to take your chance. However I would never choose to enter the water for fun. There are numerous Blue Flag beaches close to The Broads if you want a swim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, grendel said:

there are a few historic boats without holding tanks still.

I always wonder when I see a boat on The Broads festooned in GOBA stickers if it is street legal. Most boats I have been on the RGO were direct discharge.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally love the idea of dropping my mudweight on Salhouse and swimming ashore. In reality I'm not sure I would. In addition to the threat of Leptospirosis and the accompanying Weil's Disease there is also the risk posed by blue-green algae, especially in warmer weather.

Also I don't want a pike to bite my bum.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaceSwinger said:

I personally love the idea of dropping my mudweight on Salhouse and swimming ashore. In reality I'm not sure I would. In addition to the threat of Leptospirosis and the accompanying Weil's Disease there is also the risk posed by blue-green algae, especially in warmer weather.

Also I don't want a pike to bite my bum.

Leptospirosis is Weil's disease.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/leptospirosis/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • NBN Mobile App

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.