Pumping Poo

Actually, having given it a bit of thought, just a mirror needs to go in the tank so MM should be fine.

Also, if I'm right about the inlet pipe they'll be no urgent need for a pump out as there would be no chance of any backflow. So I'll do as OBB suggested earlier and whip the top off and have a butchers inside. There's not much of anything in there as I can move it by hand, and I have added Odorlos.

I was going to take the boat for a Poo Cruise round to Brooms for a pump out but it occurred to me that if the marina don't reopen the toilets I may as well wait until the tanks got a bit more in it and get my money's worth.

Thank for all the replies so far, shame about the ongoing lack of volunteers though. :default_icon_e_confused:

As requested, brought over from the 'B.A' underway thread:-

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our macerating vetus w/c decided it was not going to evacuate into the holding tank in the normal manner.  One of our girly crew was most embarrassed about this thinking her 'Admiral Brown' has blocked it.  So of course sorting this out is always the onboard skippers job.  Whilst we were all ashore at Geldeston I told them I was off onboard to sort it.  It was such an easy issue to correct, two screws removed, draw forward the w/c see the outlet rubber housing twisted and kinked thereby closing off the exit path, straighten, apply zip tie - fully operational, re-site w/c, screws in place, a total of around 5 mins to cure.

Now I had an opportunity here that just couldn't be missed.  I gave myself a good half an hour onboard on my todd, got some chocolate, softened it in the sun then got plenty under my fingernails.  Went back to the table where the crew were sat enjoying the sunshine sampling the many real ales of offer. (That was Paul plus 3 x girlies and Macie Dog)  I explained that sorting out the w/c was a proper messy job, full stripdown to clear the blockage and that the latex gloves normally kept onboard were ashore back at Stalham.

'I'm still trying to get poo from under my finger nails' as I proceeded to clean them with my teeth 

Well, the look on their boat races, then retching, MrsG nearly crucified me when I came clean

---------------------------------------

Griff

• Haha 10

• 2 months later...

Ladies and Gentlemen.

I am proud and pleased to announce that the human waste transfer pipe has been successfully replaced. Done done done done done! :55c8f94983015_default_happyparty:

I was so chuffed I nearly passed me fags round!

Video to follow but for anyone contemplating a similar experience here are the details. Remember science lessons where you had to write up theory, method and conclusions?

Firstly, it was no-where near as foul as one may imagine. In fact, the worse bit of it all was contorting this ageing frame into varying positions and discovering muscles I didn't know I had.

I rehearsed the procedure, pretty much as Edward Woodward must have rehearsed for Callan years before me. I made a damn across the bilge as an insurance against anything non-liquid blocking the bilge pump. I used an old, small curtain; small because I would have bring it out wet and bag it.

I decided the best way to remove the old pipe was to cut it into sections short enough to go straight into a wheelie bin bag – rechargeable multi-tool a Godsend here.

I chopped through the first bit and.... water came out, in a trickle.

Well what did you expect? In preparation I had treated the tank with Odourlos and put the same into the toilet and half flushed it to treat the pipe. Leave for three weeks and pump just water through the pipe.

When I cut it the smell was there but by no means foul, although I could almost hear Old Berkshire Boy shouting, “Put that ******* mask on!”, so I did. I let it trickle as a gush may have dislodged something. When the trickle stopped (40mm x 4m should be about 5 litres; any more and I was emptying the tank! There wasn't much) I started chopping the pipe up. I couldn't believe the jubilee clip came off easily, then the pipe slid easily off the inlet. The toilet end was a bit more stubborn but I won in the end.

The pipe route goes from the toilet into the bilge under the galley floor and that's where I started fitting the new pipe; one way through two bulkheads to the tank, and the other, up the inside of the hull to the toilet. That was the worst bit of the job as the hole for the pipe to pass under the shower tray was a tight fit, about 18inches out of reach and the new pipe wanted to curl up! That's probably why the previous bloke chopped the pipe and put stainless joining piece in, which I thought would encourage blockages. A heat gun on the pipe followed by much cursing with my head and right arm in the bilge got the job done. I removed the joker valve housing and it was even clean inside there! Having fitted the tank end I pulled the rest through and realised I'd over ordered by just over a metre. Better than being short but an expensive waste using top Leesan pipe: nearly half a bottle of Adnams whisky!

Connections made, I removed the damn and flushed the bilge with freshwater (Odourlos is marine safe BTW) and a splash of white vinegar, double bagged all the waste bits and had a beer!

Now I can think about cosmetic tidying of the fridge surround and toilet plinth but the focus is now on the outside.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1