Newbie- Trip With Teenagers, Where?

CherylL

38 minutes ago, CherylL said:

Hi, they’re all boys!

we have an inflatable 3 man kayak. Without wanting to sound stupid, how the heck do you manage a sailing dingy as well as a 40 foot cruiser?! 

tow it along behind and get one of the lads to move it to the front when approaching a stern on mooring, we take 3 dinghies each year on our lads week with 4 boats and 24 lads. just tow along slightly out of the prop wash or it will fill with water washing up the centreboard case.

9 minutes ago, CherylL said:

That’s great, thank you! Torn between the lovely wooden Matham vintage ones and the bells and whistles reversing camera. I’m not sure we want a 7 berther?! We managed 2 weeks in the Outer Hebrides in a 6 berth motor home, mind you the kids were a lot smaller then. They’re all man sizes these days 😁

the Martham boats are lovely old ladies, no wifi though, but they do have usb charging points, the good bit is they will go under all of the bridges most of the time, and they start above potter heigham in one of the lovely quiet areas (also good for learning to control the boats) a very friendly helpful yard, i have had several of their boats now and enjoyed them all.

this is the river Chet, from aboard Jayne from marthams

Depending on what's re-opened, and how much extra you want to spend, obviously the bright lights of Great Yarmouth or Norwich may appeal. Then there are other water activities such as paddle boarding at Hickling, or various activities at Whitlingham. Don't forget your own kayak should get a short term visitor toll to be legally useable

22 minutes ago, grendel said:

tow it along behind and get one of the lads to move it to the front when approaching a stern on mooring, we take 3 dinghies each year on our lads week with 4 boats and 24 lads. just tow along slightly out of the prop wash or it will fill with water washing up the centreboard case.

Wow - would keep them off their phones anyway 🙈😁

15 minutes ago, NeilB said:

Personality I would say you picked the best boat out of the 2.  Hope you have a great time !

Thanks and phew as I had to make a quick  decision! It was a bit spendy  at £2K. I think we’ll book a dinghy too, I’ve to call back in a fortnight to book.

2 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Martham are a fantastic yard and their boats truly wonderful , more basic certainly but they go under all the bridges so give you a larger cruising range particularly on the North they are also exceptional value compared to the newer grand offerings .

If your boys are happy with a more basic (but comfortable) boat then they are most definitely worth considering but be quick there are not many left 

Thank you! They do look beautiful. In the end we were seduced by the sliding canopy of the Richardson’s Voyager!

33 minutes ago, CherylL said:

Thanks and phew as I had to make a quick  decision! It was a bit spendy  at £2K. I think we’ll book a dinghy too, I’ve to call back in a fortnight to book.

Crikey - that's my annual berth, insurance, BSC and toll, then my dinghy berth, club membership, tax and insurance  and still a bit left over ! ( Canoe licence ? )

Makes you realise how lucky those who can afford ( just ! ) their own boats are

Good choice of boat and cracking advice from all. Another handy hint,especially as there may be restricted access to pubs is to have a stash of tinned/ packet grub for a couple of meals,just in case you can't get a mooring near enough to your hostelry of choice. Of course you'll already have supplies for the obligatory bacon banjo breakfast!

34 minutes ago, stumpy said:

Good choice of boat and cracking advice from all. Another handy hint,especially as there may be restricted access to pubs is to have a stash of tinned/ packet grub for a couple of meals,just in case you can't get a mooring near enough to your hostelry of choice. Of course you'll already have supplies for the obligatory bacon banjo breakfast!

Yes definitely pasta and pesto! Another tip we were given when motor homing was Marks and Spencers tinned curries etc... are actually really nice. They’re quite pricey but  could come in handy. I would never normally eat a tinned curry but its not just any tinned curry... :default_biggrin:

ps what’s a banjo breakfast?!

pos we have an Iceytek coolbox we may bring if we can fit it in the car. Keeps cool for a week, handy to sit on too.

45 minutes ago, RumPunch said:

Crikey - that's my annual berth, insurance, BSC and toll, then my dinghy berth, club membership, tax and insurance  and still a bit left over ! ( Canoe licence ? )

I know, shocker!!!!

2 hours ago, CherylL said:

Have just booked! Went for this one, ended up picking up on the Monday 3rd but that will suit us better in a way as we’re coming from Scotland. Maybe we’ll bring our tent and camp on the Saturday Sunday somewhere! 
https://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/voyager/?startdate=03%2F08%2F2020&pets=1&duration=7

Thank you so much! 

You won't go far wrong hiring from Richardsons. We have found them one of the easier yards to deal with and they will give you a thorough hand over and tuition if you want it. The boats are also spotlessly clean on handover, they have a great cleaning crew.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RumPunch said:

That's why we only hire out of the main season and transport our own boat around for summer holidays. It is just far cheaper to do it that way.

When we went to the Caledonian it was still cheaper to transport our own boat up there than to hire!!