Aquafibre Diamond 35 Lw

Apologies for what may be a very odd line of discussion...

The boat named in the title (in service with a few yards; Conway Bridge, Brinks Benmore etc) looks lovely. But the helm position looks a little odd. Specifically what I'd like to know is if you've had opne of these boats, how did you find leg room for a long cruise? As it looks very cramped!

Its not cramped at all - having said that most are easily driven by standing up and resting your arm on the bit of roof that doesn't move. 

I have had mine more years than I like to admit and have never felt it cramped - the seat design varies depending on who fitted it out though as some have two seats and others a bench seat!

Thanks very much! I did wonder if it was the angle the photos are taken from. I'm only asking as I've seen one for sale (not that I am in any sort of position to be buying boats :default_laugh:) and the more I look at them the more I love them. Surprising as I've always thought if I bought a boat it would be an old Alpha 35 of 42.

The bottom of the moulding below the wheel is in fact angled upwards as a footrest - that does not show in most photos. Not sure that feature is on the newer BB boats

This moulding has been around for years and is proving to be one of the ones that seems to have lasting appeal. Barnes have been using it recently, with a bit added on at the rear, and hire it as the Serenade - I think they have 8/9 in their fleet now.

Just bear in mind that if built by someone else, the layouts might be a little different on the detail.

I've hired a Diamond 35 and had a share in Lightning (a Diamond 43) and I can echo what Marshman says about them not being cramped.

I have hired an Alpha 42 centre and the driving position with the canopy closed was awkward. I am only 5'9" and had to bend my head down to see out of the windscreen. It may have been because the boat in question was brand new and had been temporarily fitted with a canopy off a 35.

1 hour ago, webntweb said:

I have hired an Alpha 42 centre and the driving position with the canopy closed was awkward. I am only 5'9" and had to bend my head down to see out of the windscreen. It may have been because the boat in question was brand new and had been temporarily fitted with a canopy off a 35.

I'm also 5'9 and found much the same a couple of years ago actually. Fortunately the weather was clement enough to keep the canopy down most of the time!

Many thanks for all input there. I'm thinking about having another week in October...might have to find one to hire!

2 hours ago, marshman said:

Its not cramped at all - having said that most are easily driven by standing up and resting your arm on the bit of roof that doesn't move. 

I have had mine more years than I like to admit and have never felt it cramped - the seat design varies depending on who fitted it out though as some have two seats and others a bench seat!

Agree not cramped but when we used to hire Gardenia Girl from Summercraft I used to stand up most of the time if it wasn't raining, you will find that with the canopy closed you have to duck down a bit to see sideways.  Really loved that design and they handle really well even without a bow thruster.

49 minutes ago, BryanW said:

Agree not cramped but when we used to hire Gardenia Girl from Summercraft I used to stand up most of the time if it wasn't raining, you will find that with the canopy closed you have to duck down a bit to see sideways.  Really loved that design and they handle really well even without a bow thruster.

We hired Gardenia Girl as well and found the same.  I know that Thunder has windows cut into the sliding canopies on both sides, which are presumably to facilitate some sideways vision when they are closed.  
That said, the Diamond 35 is a nice boat and if I were able to afford a decent one to buy, could well be interested.

Agree with all thats been said. There have to be compromises with all helm positions but overall the steering position is very comfortable and visibility good.  Like others, in good weather I tend to stand or to be exact lean forward! They handle like a dream too. Main disadvantage when enclosed is that when passing craft you are too high up to give the customary wave, you sort of have to bend down!. As Mouldy said the Brooms built versions had an extra window put into the camber of the sliding roof. An important plus of the helm position  is that when the canopy is open you sit (or stand) in the open, you are not inside the windscreen structure.  All in all a brilliant design, a real Broads classic.

Fred

silver cloud at her home mooring in Horning

Silver Cloud at her home mooring.

• Like 1

I hired Brinks Benmore last year and really enjoyed it. I'm 6 foot 0 and found the helm position very comfortable. I favour an outdoor helm position on boats I hire and I had no issue, especially with the view over the screens available when standing. It's a clever design really because in one way it's a centre cockpit boat but in others it has advantages over a traditional centre cockpit in that it has a lower air draft than many centre cockpits and it has a split sliding roof that's easy to slide back and forth ( unlike most traditional centre cockpits).

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

I hired Brinks Benmore last year and really enjoyed it. I'm 6 foot 0 and found the helm position very comfortable. I favour an outdoor helm position on boats I hire and I had no issue, especially with the view over the screens available when standing. It's a clever design really because in one way it's a centre cockpit boat but in others it has advantages over a traditional centre cockpit in that it has a lower air draft than many centre cockpits and it has a split sliding roof that's easy to slide back and forth ( unlike most traditional centre cockpits).

It's funny you mention air draft Simon, I thought much the same. So far as I can tell it's air draft is only 7', which is pretty good for a boat that looks incredibly roomy! Especially as the comparable Alpha CC is around 6'10 with the canopy down!

6 hours ago, MaceSwinger said:

It's funny you mention air draft Simon, I thought much the same. So far as I can tell it's air draft is only 7', which is pretty good for a boat that looks incredibly roomy! Especially as the comparable Alpha CC is around 6'10 with the canopy down!

Air draft on Silver Cloud is 6' 10" with all tanks full. The 43' version needs slightly more due to the upper deck windscreen. If you watch Dave Whitworth's videos he is on Silver Cloud.

Fred

12 hours ago, MaceSwinger said:

The Wroxham bridge pilot told me 6 foot 9. Barnes don't let you use the bridge pilot and on the day in question refused to take me through even with 6 foot 11 available so I took it through myself with lots of room to spare.

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

The Wroxham bridge pilot told me 6 foot 9. Barnes don't let you use the bridge pilot and on the day in question refused to take me through even with 6 foot 11 available so I took it through myself with lots of room to spare.

Barnes don't let you use them at all, or they don't cover the cost?

4 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

Barnes don't let you use them at all, or they don't cover the cost?

They don't let you use them at all. This is on the basis that they will take the boat through for you which worked fine when we were going upstream as there was over 7 foot available. However, by their own admission and unlike the pilot, they rely on the 'official' air draft specified in the boat cockpit which was 7 foot in our case. So on the one hand you could argue that they're unnecessarily cautious but on the other they have no issue with hirers taking boats through themselves which most other operators don't allow.

• Like 1

I have measured mine at 6' 7" but thats absolute and realistically its 6' 9"/6'10" to avoid brown trouser jobs!!!!

I managed Wroxham going upstream with just under 7' showing at low tide the other day  but coming back it was a bit squeaky which just shows how you need to be aware of the tide even up there!!

50 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

They don't let you use them at all. This is on the basis that they will take the boat through for you which worked fine when we were going upstream as there was over 7 foot available. However, by their own admission and unlike the pilot, they rely on the 'official' air draft specified in the boat cockpit which was 7 foot in our case. So on the one hand you could argue that they're unnecessarily cautious but on the other they have no issue with hirers taking boats through themselves which most other operators don't allow.

Thanks Simon, I never knew that. I knew they'd take you under, I've had a great many boats out of Barnes (Alpha closing up forced a move!) but didn't realise they wouldn't allow you to use the pilot at all. That said I've never much been bothered about getting under the bridge!

The pilot at Wroxham works differently to the one at Potter I believe, the boatyards have to sign up to the Wroxham one(and they don't take private boats)whereas the Potter one is for anyone who wants to pay for it on the spot. Unless I am mistaken that is?

1 hour ago, WherryNice said:

The pilot at Wroxham works differently to the one at Potter I believe, the boatyards have to sign up to the Wroxham one(and they don't take private boats)whereas the Potter one is for anyone who wants to pay for it on the spot. Unless I am mistaken that is?

Although most syndicate boat owners take their boats through themselves, those managed through BCBM can use the pilot service if they prefer.

Fred

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WherryNice said:

That sounds right. I assume the boatyards have to pay a subscription ( as well as hirers being charged)  hence why Barnes don't include themselves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaceSwinger said:

That said I've never much been bothered about getting under the bridge!

Why ever not? The whole stretch between Wroxham and Coltishall is as beautiful river as you'll find anywhere. Coltishall Lock is one of my favourite moorings.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Why ever not? The whole stretch between Wroxham and Coltishall is as beautiful river as you'll find anywhere. Coltishall Lock is one of my favourite moorings.

Sorry, I should explain! I've been under plenty of times, but always with larger family groups; indeed we took at Alpha 42CC all the way to Horstead Mill a couple of years ago. If it's just me, or me plus other half we don't tend to go under the bridge as it takes time away from other areas we want to get to. I do enjoy going upstream though, quite a lot in fact!

• Like 2