Jump to content
  • Announcements

    PLEASE NOTE THAT THE NBN MOBILE APP IS CURRENTLY NOT WORKING

Recommended Posts

I've just had a look at Hoseasons for the dates we're away in August, and it would seem they only have 14 boats left for that week. Not entirely surprising as everyone is scrambling to book holidays in the UK!

Does anyone know how yards are running their boats? Are they running them a week on then a week off in order to deep clean between hirers? Or are they just having them leave the yard later? We're going with Silverline and I know the check in time has been changed to 5pm. I'm just wondering whether the lack of remaining boats is because they've literally all been booked up (which I suspect is the case) or if yards are rotating their fleet in order to deep clean (which I'd hoped would be the case so it's a bit quieter!)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would guess the later  start time is to account for deeper cleaning between hires, (Silverline normally allow takeover from 2pm) and with the loss of so much business this year, I wouldn't think the thought of rotating hire-craft was even an option. Much of the bookings, perhaps up to half, will have been transferred from earlier in the season, which is why it's become difficult to find space before October. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure anyone will have a definitive answer to that. Any hire boats put back into service after the lockdown will now have to be tolled and, with rigorous cleaning now required after each hire, the boatyards may decide to keep some out of use to allow them the extra leeway. We just don’t know. I guess each boatyard will have its own way of processing everything and, as long as they are ‘Covid-secure’, that will be what matters.
Maybe Clive can give us some idea of how Richardson’s are dealing with things, although I would imagine he has his hands full at the moment!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't sure anyone would have a definitive answer, but it's interesting to read your insights. 

A 5pm takeover is a little frustrating, although I understand entirely why it's necessary. This is only the second time I've gone with Silverline, the first being 2 years ago with a larger family group (just after the boat I have this year, Mystaire, had holed and sunk on the Chet!) and couldn't remember the HOTO time.

Part of me is desperately trying to convince the other part that it's not going to be that busy but I think in reality it's going to be heaving. Excellent news for the yards, not so great when I have to tell my wife we're not getting in at Ranworth again :default_laugh:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

Part of me is desperately trying to convince the other part that it's not going to be that busy but I think in reality it's going to be heaving. Excellent news for the yards, not so great when I have to tell my wife we're not getting in at Ranworth again :default_laugh:

Simple, don`t tell her until you get there! :default_biggrin:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Simple, don`t tell her until you get there! :default_biggrin:

I'm doing my best to prepare her. I'm 35 now and have been going all my life, she's a new convert having only been with me the last few years and Ranworth is one of her 'musts'. It's a shame as I loathe having to moor up mid afternoon just to get a spot. I'm just as happy loading a week's worth of food (and beer and bait!) onto my boat and mudweighting all week!

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we really want to moor at Ranworth then we decide on a day middle of our week's hire, leave our previous night's mooring early, get two or three hours cruising and arrive around 10.30 when the previous night's boats may well have left and before the lunchtime people arrive. Then we simply have a day chilling out on the boat, going for walks, get a bit of shopping, top up the water, plug into the electric if it's early or late season, and enjoy watching the comings and goings. Hubby might do a bit of fishing, I get my camera out and maybe the binoculars. It just makes for a really relaxing day which we enjoy.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the delayed started all down to cleaning, we have re booked with Norfolk Cottages after earlier cancellation for June. Their takeover is now 7pm! So 5pm sounds like a good offer 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SwanR said:

If we really want to moor at Ranworth then we decide on a day middle of our week's hire, leave our previous night's mooring early, get two or three hours cruising and arrive around 10.30 when the previous night's boats may well have left and before the lunchtime people arrive. Then we simply have a day chilling out on the boat, going for walks, get a bit of shopping, top up the water, plug into the electric if it's early or late season, and enjoy watching the comings and goings. Hubby might do a bit of fishing, I get my camera out and maybe the binoculars. It just makes for a really relaxing day which we enjoy.

I think that may be what we have to do Jean. I don't like doing it (mooring up at silly o'clock just to get in), but I do love Ranworth and I particularly enjoy the NWT reserve and climbing to the top of St Helen's. Kirsty, my other half, is very much looking forward to a meal from the Maltsters too!

8 minutes ago, Shemaha said:

I think the delayed started all down to cleaning, we have re booked with Norfolk Cottages after earlier cancellation for June. Their takeover is now 7pm! So 5pm sounds like a good offer 😀

I'd never complain about 5pm under the current climate, I'm just glad they're taking it seriously enough to deep clean their fleet. It's frustrating, but entirely understandable, and any boatyard taking those actions should be commended. I'm still hoping that we'll get away a little earlier as I'd like to get as far as Herringfleet or possibly even across Breydon...that may be a bit of a pipe dream though!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely they cannot all go out at 5,    I am sure it is the luck of the draw as to whether you are on the early afternoon shift, late afternoon shift, or even the midnight shift.    What is good is that we are now getting away on our hire boats.  Rather be safe than sorry.     What the 50,000 odd folk who have died in all this,   would give to have the luxury of waiting may be a few hours to go on holiday.   I thank my lucky stars everyday that I do not catch this dreadful virus.   The river will still be there the next day.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Chances of Ranworth are probably akin  to winning the lottery. 

Agree with Jean, best chance would be 10.30 to 11ish. If it's full try dropping the mudweight as near to the moorings as you can. Keep a sharp look out and if you see anyone preparing to depart, hail them if you can and move into position without blocking their exit. We did this once in summer but you need to be quick! I only did this to get in the Ship though :default_biggrin::default_beerchug:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I doubt the bigger yards will put all their fleet in service given they would have to pay a full years toll for a few weeks use plus the logistics of how many boats they can turn round with the additional requirements, possibly the reason there are so few that are still available.

Fred

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Chances of Ranworth are probably akin  to winning the lottery. 

Agree with Jean, best chance would be 10.30 to 11ish. If it's full try dropping the mudweight as near to the moorings as you can. Keep a sharp look out and if you see anyone preparing to depart, hail them if you can and move into position without blocking their exit. We did this once in summer but you need to be quick! I only did this to get in the Ship though :default_biggrin::default_beerchug:

Surely the Broads Authority will have the forsight to have a Ranger at Ranworth to supervise the arrivals and departures.

Andrew.

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Personally I doubt the bigger yards will put all their fleet in service given they would have to pay a full years toll for a few weeks use plus the logistics of how many boats they can turn round with the additional requirements, possibly the reason there are so few that are still available.

Fred

Interestingly if you search Hoseasons for 4 July, the few boats you do get are some of Richardson's largest. If you were going to lay up any boats it would make sense to lay these up as you can still only go away as a single household, or bubble.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RS2021 said:

Interestingly if you search Hoseasons for 4 July, the few boats you do get are some of Richardson's largest. If you were going to lay up any boats it would make sense to lay these up as you can still only go away as a single household, or bubble.

I believe it is two house holds from 4th July.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

Interestingly if you search Hoseasons for 4 July, the few boats you do get are some of Richardson's largest. If you were going to lay up any boats it would make sense to lay these up as you can still only go away as a single household, or bubble.

I think you will find their newer large boats are among the first to hire even for couples and familys

Fred

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

Interestingly if you search Hoseasons for 4 July, the few boats you do get are some of Richardson's largest. If you were going to lay up any boats it would make sense to lay these up as you can still only go away as a single household, or bubble.

Alternatively, the larger boats bring in more cash............££££

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

I think you will find their newer large boats are among the first to hire even for couples and familys

Fred

Indeed, we have a 3 berth for the 2 of us booked, and to be honest I'd have preferred a 4 berth if my wife was a little more experienced in helping moor up etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets disillusion some of you!!

Why should the BA waste money by putting a Ranger on the quay? They have coped before and will cope again - there is either a space  or not, I am afraid!

Chris - I cannot see the problem - why waste a day moored up? Just hire a dinghy as you then have the option of mudweighting or indeed mooring up on Ranworth Island and then rowing ashore.

Just FYI the Reserve is still shut and showing no signs of opening and although I have just come back from parking at the Church, I did not notice if the Tower was open. Don't forget both are operated by volunteers and most of them by their very nature are elderly and frightened by the whole issue!

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Andrew was a tad tongue in cheek there :default_biggrin:

Actually the dinghy is a good idea. Mudweight or moor on the island. No problem. You would need to moor the dinghy of course, some clown might block the dinghy Dyke. Be good for Horning too, moor on Percy's Island. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, marshman said:

Just FYI the Reserve is still shut and showing no signs of opening and although I have just come back from parking at the Church, I did not notice if the Tower was open. Don't forget both are operated by volunteers and most of them by their very nature are elderly and frightened by the whole issue!

I probably worded my post badly, I wouldn't for a minute expect to get up the tower at the moment, and with how narrow the boardwalk is on the reserve that would probably not be on my list this year either sadly. And you're absolutely right, I hate the thought of missing a day of cruising. I'm happy to cruise dawn to dusk when I can; I don't think I've ever got money back from a diesel deposit!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Actually the dinghy is a good idea.

We have a small dog and have anticipated the moorings being busy so purchased an Intex Seahawk 4, very sturdy and well made, we paid £70 from an auction site.

Screenshot_20200627-174029_eBay.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this time next week, we should be onboard and hopefully out of the yard!

Happy to up date as to what changes in the normal handover process.

If we do Ranworth it will be on the island this time.


Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure there'll be lots of updates coming in. Typical really, the first load will be off on holiday on the 4th...I'll be going back to work :default_laugh:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s see. By the end of August twilight hits around 8.30. Pick boat up at five. Wait for show and tell and...run. 
watch those moorings fill up. 
may be better to stay in yard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • NBN Mobile App

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.