The Beauchamp Arms

Mouldy

Different pub - same owner.

A report on the EDP website this morning says that an application to re-open the Berney Arms as a cafe and bistro has received strong objections from the BA, because of the tidal current and because its "remoteness would limit immediate access for emergency vehicles" and from the RSPB, because it would frighten their birds on Breydon.

When was that pub built?  Must be 100 years ago, surely?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Different pub - same owner.

A report on the EDP website this morning says that an application to re-open the Berney Arms as a cafe and bistro has received strong objections from the BA, because of the tidal current and because its "remoteness would limit immediate access for emergency vehicles" and from the RSPB, because it would frighten their birds on Breydon.

When was that pub built?  Must be 100 years ago, surely?

They were all rufty tufties then Vaughan, no Elf and Safety.

• Like 2

From memory, BA always advised against  mooring at Berney Arms.That never stopped people  mooring there.RSPB again why ?The pubs been there for years.Not sure the reasoning behind these objections.Customers were  always a mix of boaters,bird watchers and walkers. Lets get a good land lord,manager a some clever thinking, could be one of the best pubs On the river.

• Like 5

Berney, Beauchamp and Stracey Arms are all named after the owners of the estates on which they were built.

To give an idea of the timescale, the original Norfolk Railway from Norwich to Yarmouth was built in 1844. The reason that Berney Arms Halt still operates today is because its existence was written into the deeds when the Berney estate allowed the railway to cross its land.

The halt, the pub and Berney mill itself, were built to serve a huge cement factory, with buildings on both sides of Breydon at its junction with the Yare and Waveney and with wherry loading jetties extending for several hundred yards out onto Breydon itself. Some of the supporting posts can still be seen at low tide.

If that lot didn't frighten the birds, I can't see that a bistro would.  In fact the biggest threat to birds in those days was wildfowlers from Cobham, not the existence of one riverside pub.  I also wonder how all that lot got on without "immediate access for emergency vehicles".

There is a certain smell of politics about this.  Or maybe the BA planning department are going to play their old Jenners Basin trick and announce that permission has been "abandoned"?

• Like 5

Berney Arms was a farmhouse in 1832 but it obtained a licence. 

Here is a list of the licensees 

http://norfolkpubs.co.uk/norfolkr/reedham/reedhba.htm

It closed in 1909 and did not reopen until 1954 first with an out sales licence and become a full licence in 1955.

Many see this pub with rose tinted glasses

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

Maybe the BA spotted the ploy about trying to prove it's not viable as a pub? But on the same basis they would never allow holiday lets which wouldn't be viable anyway. So what's left? Residential or demolition? It did trade successfully as a pub for many years albeit in different times. Could be politics, maybe between the owner and BA - we will probably never know. 

Also if the moorings are unsafe why did the BA acquire a stretch of them? It's all very murky. 

• Like 4

The BA's mooring policy is that in an ideal world there should be a thirty minute run time between moorings. If we take that as both gospel and reasonable then moorings at Berney are logical and necessary.  The BA have long opposed a residential redevelopment at the Berney Arms. Confused thinking or what?

As for the RSPB, nip down to Minsmere to the excellent RSPB nature reserve, please note their very fine visitor centre and cafe/restaurant. More muddled even hypocritical thinking?

Perhaps the freeholder is not incredibly popular? Not that I have any sympathy with him!

• Like 2

It shouldn't matter whether the freeholder is popular or not, the planning system should be applied by the democratically elected local authority using the laws and regulations setup by the government to provide a level playing field for all, no matter how unpopular they are!

The only problem I see here is that we don't have a democratically elected local authority!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, NeilB said:

Does anyone have a link to the planning application please?  I've had a look and can only find the one from 2015.

Time fly's !  There are some useful items which could be used within the Local Plan for the Broads including  the statements within section SSPUBS on page 210 https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0036/259596/Local-Plan-for-the-Broads.pdf

The Licencing applications are not published on-line (probably unless the application goes to Broadland DC Licencing Committee). 

4 hours ago, grendel said:

and only the coot club to protect the birdies

Let their lines go and let them drift down river! 

The Skipper of The Titmouse was not exactly an angel. But then Dr and Ella Dudgeon were so tied up with "Our Baby"  the poor lad lacked parental care and probably felt rejected.

Is he really worthy of hero status?

3 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Let their lines go and let them drift down river! 

The Skipper of The Titmouse was not exactly an angel. But then Dr and Ella Dudgeon were so tied up with "Our Baby"  the poor lad lacked parental care and probably felt rejected.

Is he really worthy of hero status?

In contrast with the behaviour of the Hulabaloos, most definitely.  Sadly still many - met one boatload such as we were leaving Thurne Dyke yesterday afternon !

53 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

They are there , all 20 of them!

I can see them now JM!!! I think it must be my computer blocking them for some reason. :default_icon_rolleyes:

Some very good points, particularly the reference to Acle, Stokesby etc

I see our friend Mr Mardler is getting stuck in there! Haven't heard from him for a while unless he goes under another title!! :default_norty: 

21 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Back to when we used to hire,they advised  against  mooring there.Due to tide and current. Yes indeed  they have a small stretch of moorings there.As Vaughan said think politics playing a bit there.

Reading back over this discussion, I think it was the hire boat agencies, not the river authority, who advised against mooring there, owing to quite a lot of damage being done.  In those days there were many more yards on the south rivers, especially in Brundall and so there would be a big flock of boats crossing Breydon on the tide.  The agencies preferred them to wait for the night in Reedham or St Olaves rather than Berney.  There was also the problem of getting to them if they broke down, on what was often their first night out.

If anyone has an old copy of the Blakes skipper's handbook, called "Anchors Aweigh", I am pretty sure it will be mentioned in there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2