The Beauchamp Arms

Mouldy

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Anchor's Aweigh. Excuse the errant apostrophe!   :default_coat:

I also remember that the tow boats from Burgh Castle Yacht Station and Pearsons at Reedham used to do a roaring trade there on a Sunday morning!

Must admit that we sometimes kept a pretty fast dory at Burgh Castle so that we could get to Fowlers, Ripplecraft or other Oulton Broad (Hoseasons) boats moored there. Re hull damage, the moorings were pretty rough at one time. When Breydon got really rough or fog-bound there would be a small flotilla of yard boats either helping or warning boats not to cross. 

• Like 1

Unless folk experienced the seventies high point in the Broads hire fleets then perhaps it is hard to appreciate what went on in some respects. Between them Oulton Broad, Somerleyton and Beccles had well over one hundred hire-boats, most of which headed North by mid week whilst a good number of the North Rivers boats headed South. Crossing Breydon was a regular part of the adventure as was stopping at Yarmouth for the Golden Mile experience. Berney was popular with the hirers, if not the yards, but the moorings were rough back then, still are in places. Too many boats for too few moorings back then,

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Crossing Breydon was a regular part of the adventure as was stopping at Yarmouth for the Golden Mile experience.

Not to forget the very large number of young people, on their annual holiday from their jobs in Midlands factories, who would hire an 8 - berth boat from Potter, Wroxham or Stalham ; go straight down to GYYS that night and spend the rest of the week there, as the cost of the boat was a lot less than their accommodation in a hotel or boarding house on the seafront.

And God bless 'em for it!

I wonder how many members of this forum can put their hands up and say that was how they were introduced to the Broads, by their parents?  We should not forget our roots!

• Like 1

I also remember the big boats that would leave the hire yards and promptly moor up just along the river, or go alongside at the Everitt Park in Oulton Broad, where their friends would join them thus a six or eight berther might arrive at Yarmouth with twice the number on-board! Trips to Yarmouth to replace the flat batteries was common place. The chemists and gents hairdressers must have done a roaring trade back then!  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/07/2020 at 09:12, Vaughan said:

What my father would have called a nasty smell in the woodshed.

I have often wondered what that "smell" was supposed to be, in his mind. Was it smoke; perhaps an over - hung pheasant; or maybe the remains of a dead gardener?

Isn’t that perhaps a reference to ‘Something nasty in the woodshed’ from a 1930s (1932?) novel ‘Cold Comfort Farm’ by Stella Gibbons?

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, back to the original topic of this thread, went past the Beauchamp Arms this morning and noticed that in an effort to drum up more business and make it look less depressing than before, the exterior is being painted a fetching shade of blue.  Not sure about the exposed sheets of ply around the doors though😉😉

A4387A02-0AA4-407D-867F-771D796E4152.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, vanessan said:

Did you say a ‘fetching’ shade of blue?!! Certainly will show up as you journey down the river. 

Well, my tongue was firmly in my cheek.  Frankly, I think it’s revolting.  White would have brightened it up and made it more appealing.  It certainly does nothing for the building.  That blue rivals the green that The Kings Head in Loddon has been painted for naffness (is that a new word) in my very humble opinion.

Still, someone might like it.

• Like 1

I assume the osb sheets around the patio doors are to make cheaper doors fit, either way it looks like a cobbled together shanty town with it, does the building no favours at all.

They must have found the only builder not owed money by the owner. (yet)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Question the timing .By the time they open,think this very short season will be over.

Might that be the method in the madness.  If it can be proved that it can’t be profitable, planning permission may be granted for what the owner wants, which isn’t the pub as I understand it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Question the timing .By the time they open,think this very short season will be over.

There is a local trade as well.

It's only the worst kind of pub that targets just the seasonal visitor. We have too many of those, especially on the Northern rivers.

7 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Surely it cant be standing on the sloping roof below it, hope it is just the camera angle or a trick of the light.

The tiles have been removed from the roof of the extension, so it’s standing on the joists.  Still don’t fancy it though.

• Like 1

Just now, Poppy said:

There is a local trade as well.

It's only the worst kind of pub that targets just the seasonal visitor. We have too many of those, especially on the Northern rivers.

I wonder if they’ve done anything to improve the track to it? From what I’ve read, it was pretty dire.

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Surely it cant be standing on the sloping roof below it, hope it is just the camera angle or a trick of the light.

With the picture zoomed in you can see the scaffold going right through the roof and on to the floor of the building....I think

Maybe they have hired a team of avantgarde designers and architects to design a landmark pub that blends River and sky through a bold hue of blue capturing a certain maritime spirit while reflecting current trends including stakeholders from all walks of life and suggesting an air of playfulness but without overlooking safety, biodiversity, climate change, accessibility and pandemics?

On the other hand I like lager and crisps so what do I know 😁

• Haha 8