Land And Houseboat Up For Auction

15 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

But is it, or was it an old house? I've lived here all my life and gone past the site either on foot or by boat many hundreds of time and I don't recollect there having been a house there. Might have been a house there very many years ago but I suspect that in planning terms that that consent or use has long been abandoned. 

Sorry, for house read "house boat" or "boat house". There's very clearly something there on the sat imagery and the listing makes reference to a "dwelling that was once there".

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Peter, any further info you have would be most welcome Tidal rise and fall and whether the mooring dries out, that sort of thing. :-)

What can be seen as a big, oblong shape is, I believe a houseboat that had come off Oulton Broad to be rebuilt. In the Google Earth picture you can see that there is water around whatever it is. However, there is, I believe, a 12 to 18 ft rise and fall so yes, the mooring does dry out. A number of people keep their heads down and live on their boats in that area and I suspect that you could do too. As for the boat-house-boat, I suspect that that could become an office or workshop but there is no access for fire-engines or ambulances thus I suspect that residential use would be frowned upon. I would also question the flood level, the whatever it is is built on stilts and might be above the level of a potential surge tide. but I stress 'might'. At £12k it could be a relatively cheap mooring. Perhaps in times gone by there was a Great Eastern Railways bridge keeper's cottage there but in planning terms I doubt that that now has any relevance in planning. Delve wisely, my friend! 

• 4 weeks later...